Matt, Niles and Tom - Forked Deer

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Matt, Niles and Tom - Forked Deer

Postby The Hitman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:54 am

Hi all - it's been a while! Thought some of you might the clip below as proof that there ARE young people playing country / old-time music out there. They have to go to folk clubs to do it, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_rQ59N6xwo
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Hitman

Re: Matt, Niles and Tom - Forked Deer

Postby The Hitman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:38 pm

206 views, and not a single comment. Interesting...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Hitman

Postby Smudger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:58 pm

The Hitman wrote:206 views, and not a single comment. Interesting...

Only just watched it, but it's not my cup of tea. I know you could argue that it's country/old timey/bluegrassy but it's still too folky for me. The guys can certainly play though.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby The Hitman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Fair enough - thanks for looking. I think the truth of it is that the youngsters are more attracted to whizzy bluegrass stuff than the 40s, 50s and 60s material that a lot of country fans still regard as 'real' country music. And 'oldtime' is just that - it's where country music came from, when Americans were still pretty much Europeans.
The Hitman

Postby lo&m » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Is it the natural progression of youngsters rejecting the 'classic country' beloved of their parent's generation and delving back into the roots; or is it youngsters growing up with a heavy/speed metal background finding a kindred spirit in double-speed bluegrass and old timey?
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to UK Country music