Is there a market for REAL country music out there?

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Is there a market for REAL country music out there?

Postby Wheel Hoss » Tue May 05, 2015 7:38 am

Before embarking on a new musical venture, I would like to do a bit of market research. Is there a place out there for a four/five piece band playing what used to be known as 'outlaw' music - specifically by the likes of Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, David Allan Coe etc? Or, will we be inundated by requests to "play something we know!"
We have no interest in the current sounds being labelled 'country'. We are, happily stuck in the past! Everything we play will be classic country, honky-tonk and outlaw. But will we get any gigs?
We'll be up and running in September - once we've found a good drummer!!
Wheel Hoss

Newbie Member

Re: Is there a market for REAL country music out there?

Postby PeterJD » Tue May 05, 2015 9:37 am

I have been to a few CMC's and seen solo acts do country music like you say. Can I say though, that something new that you dont want to play, there is a whole lot of new stuff that does fall into that category.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Tue May 05, 2015 10:16 am

Maybe you could go and visit the clubs and see what's happening at the moment? I'm tempted to think that the music you're describing will work better with the 'sitting and listening' crowds than the dancers.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Wheel Hoss » Tue May 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Hmmm, interesting replies. Thanks gents. It's been a few years since I was last in a country music club and I'm surprised and a bit saddened to see the distinction between 'dancing' and 'listening' clubs. How does one know which is which?
Wheel Hoss

Newbie Member

Postby Smudger » Tue May 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Wheel Hoss wrote:Hmmm, interesting replies. Thanks gents. It's been a few years since I was last in a country music club and I'm surprised and a bit saddened to see the distinction between 'dancing' and 'listening' clubs. How does one know which is which?

In general, if it is advertised as a Country Music CLUB then there is a good chance that there will be dancing. This doesn't necessarily mean that the punters only like "line dance music" or that they don't listen to the band, but sadly that does happen in some places.
Incidentally, over the years I have seen line and partner dancers dance to quite a few Waylon and Willie songs....
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue May 05, 2015 5:04 pm

In one respect, it's good that you're focusing on outlaw/honkytonk country. It can establish a band 'identity' that a more general covers band might lack.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Wheel Hoss » Wed May 06, 2015 6:56 am

That's a very good point lo&m. We're also looking at some Johnny Paycheck, Guy Clark, etc. In the past, we have all been involved in the country music scene for a considerable amount of time but we took a collective break from it. This project is purely for a bit of fun.
Wheel Hoss

Newbie Member

Return to UK Country music