The WINNERS of the British Country Music Awards for 2016:

Entertainer of the Year: Jess & The Bandits
Group of the Year: Jess & The Bandits
Male Vocalist of the Year: Gary Quinn
Female Vocalist of the Year: Laura Oakes
Duo of the Year: Holloway Road
Musician of the Year: Justin Johnson
Horizon Act of the Year: The Southern Companion
UK Song of the Year: Luke & Mel (“Bad Habit”)
UK Album of the Year: The Southern Companion (1000 DAYS OF RAIN)
Video of the Year: Luke & Mel “Bad Habit”

Special Achievement Award: The Shires
Services To Industry: International – Kirt Webster; UK – Rob Davis

INTERNATIONAL AWARDS
International Song of the Year: Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey
International Album of the Year: Chris Stapleton - TRAVELLER
International Act of the Year: Phil Vassar

Anglo-American band Jess & The Bandits win BIG!
BCMAward multi award nominated newbies The Southern Companion snag Horizon & ALBUM of the Year.
Luke & Mel retain Song of the Year honours as Bad Habit lands best video.

Find out
a) All the acts nominated and the winners b) BCMAward's 2016 Show report
c) British Country Music Hall Of Fame Inductees 2016 d) BCMAward 2016 fashion
BLOG POST

Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Re: 2016 British Country Music Awards Winners

Postby PeterJD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:00 am

Interesting. I have only seen Luke and Mel once, and that was at the now departed Fort San Antone, they were very ropey, a lot of tuning issues, but people speak highly of them so maybe I got them on a bad day. It was unfortunately enough to put me off.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

Am I missing something here? All these British Country Music Awards winners and the only ones I recognise are Jess and the Bandits and Gary Quinn. I like to think I know my country music but I don't think I've ever heard of any of the others! Holloway Road? Nope! Laura Oakes? Nope! Southern Companion? Nope! Do these people tour? Certainly not round here!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:41 am

PeterJD wrote:at the now departed Fort San Antone

Didn't know this venue had closed. That's a shame as it was the nearest thing in this country to an American honky tonk, and it's now one less place to see some good UK country acts.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby nickytt » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:57 am

PeterJD wrote:Interesting. I have only seen Luke and Mel once, and that was at the now departed Fort San Antone, they were very ropey, a lot of tuning issues, but people speak highly of them so maybe I got them on a bad day. It was unfortunately enough to put me off.

BCMAwards.... hmmm, my not so favourite subject! I suppose you've heard the whispers? I have and I'm not really in the inside getting all the gossip like the artists are. This duo get multi nominations each year and nearly always win a couple of categories.They often play at the awards ceremony. Luke plays in the Gary Quinn band (another multi nominated winner on an annual basis), Luke also sometimes deps with Jess and the Bandits (double award winner this year) and Luke and Mel have supported Jess and Bandits on their tour. In some way or another Luke is therefore connected to 5 BCMAward 2016 winning categories. No problem with that at all as he may be a very fine musician, the problem is Luke's dad is apparently a prominent member of the committee that chooses the nominations and winners of these awards. This is a clear conflict of interests. I stand to be corrected if any of this is incorrect, but you can google most of this. I will take a wild guess but this is probably not the only "conflict of interest" between "winners" and "judges" over the years.
nickytt

Postby PeterJD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Smudger wrote:

Didn't know this venue had closed. That's a shame as it was the nearest thing in this country to an American honky tonk, and it's now one less place to see some good UK country acts.

Yes Smudger, it went with a whimper, rather than a bang. It was placed on the market some time back but vehemently denied that it was. They stopped putting acts on and then it just closed. I believe Wayne and Jess are putting acts on around the country under the FSA Presents banner, some have been great, the ones they have took a gamble on.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:46 am

nickytt wrote:No problem with that at all as he may be a very fine musician, the problem is Luke's dad is apparently a prominent member of the committee that chooses the nominations and winners of these awards. This is a clear conflict of interests. I stand to be corrected if any of this is incorrect, but you can google most of this. I will take a wild guess but this is probably not the only "conflict of interest" between "winners" and "judges" over the years.

Luke Thomas' MUM became the BCMAward Secretary and Director in July - See BLOG POST
There certainly has been a "conflict of interest" over the years. Just look at the Album of the Year nominees and past winners such as IRISH REPUBLIC winner Pete Kennedy.

FSA's Wayne Hadlow became a BCMA committee member/ sponsor this year. I daresay its the same with Buckle & Boots Festival on which Gary Quinn is part of that Festivals team and a close friend of the CEO.

I would imagine that each of the select BCMAward panel get to choose an act for the categories with the BCMA members (still no idea of numbers no information forthcoming) having a vote on those nominated

Smudger wrote:

FSA's Wayne Hadlow has said that the trade traffic was slowing in Blackpool due to people's changing leisure and holiday habits.
In order to grow the festival rather than it stagnating he decided to take a gamble and move it to Newark (still indoors).
Thorne Hill & Narn is the latest FSA Presents on tour this week.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby nickytt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:52 am

^^ so what happens is , among some genuinely deserved awards their are a significant number of artists who get nominated because their parents/family members/manager/sponsers are part of the selection committee? That is called a 'carve up' and it is clearly denying deserving artists a chance in the spotlight and an opportunity to further their musical careers. How is this helping British Country Music? Shameful.

I also see they picked an American as 'musician of the year' and it should also be noted that double award winner Jess from Jess and the Bandits is from Texas. In case the Bcma's haven't noticed there is an International Category in their list. Nice work.
nickytt

Postby kev » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:45 am

nickytt wrote:^^ so what happens is , among some genuinely deserved awards their are a significant number of artists who get nominated because their parents/family members/manager/sponsers are part of the selection committee? That is called a 'carve up' and it is clearly denying deserving artists a chance in the spotlight and an opportunity to further their musical careers. How is this helping British Country Music? Shameful.

I don't think it's worth losing sleep over Nicky - judging by the amount of coverage it gets out in the real world, I doubt many people pay it much attention! Reminds me of this ...

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby nickytt » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:10 pm

kev wrote:
nickytt wrote:^^ so what happens is , among some genuinely deserved awards their are a significant number of artists who get nominated because their parents/family members/manager/sponsers are part of the selection committee? That is called a 'carve up' and it is clearly denying deserving artists a chance in the spotlight and an opportunity to further their musical careers. How is this helping British Country Music? Shameful.

I don't think it's worth losing sleep over Nicky - judging by the amount of coverage it gets out in the real world, I doubt many people pay it much attention! Reminds me of this ...

Haha! Yes nicely put.

I think the problem that the BCMA has at the moment is that they are trying to move the awards on to a bigger stage and highlight more creditable artists (get rid of any linedance nominations etc) but their just aren't enough of those artists out there. Look, if it was down to achievement The Shires and Ward Thomas would sweep the board but i don't think the BCMAs want that year after year. Ward Thomas have just had a number one album on itunes, they get A List play on Radio 2, live sessions on Radio 2, they have been over to the States and recorded with Vince Gill for Christ sake and yet they don't win a single award!! Does that seem odd to anyone else but me? I saw the Mumford and Sons were up for a BCMA award recently (one of the biggest bands in the world!!) and guess what ... they lost out to a band nobody had ever heard of. To be honest I doubt either of these artists give a hoot... maybe you only win it if you agree to turn up at the awards, who the hell knows. Anyway something stinks and it's a shame.
nickytt

Postby livewire » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:49 pm

nickytt wrote:I also see they picked an American as 'musician of the year' and it should also be noted that double award winner Jess from Jess and the Bandits is from Texas. In case the Bcma's haven't noticed there is an International Category in their list. Nice work.

Comments and observations at the bottom of this Blog Post
https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.u ... 16_15.html

You hear about Brit acts supporting one another. I had a message from a non nominated artist who can't get their head round the winners this year. Also from someone who no longer wants anything to do with the BCMA ever again!
If the number of people both artists and country fans who are BCMA members were public knowledge then it might have some credibility.

kev wrote:

The BCMA President said today that there has been a massive buzz on social media regarding the BCMAwards in a featured programme playing all the winners.

Severals artists made comment that 6 million were watching the BCMA's last year when it was streamed live on the Internet. That exposure doesn't seem too have made much difference to their careers.

If the BCMA do have an eligibility period then both The Shires and Ward Thomas would not have been on their radar as their "history making" albums came out months after the 2016 BCMA nominations
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby nickytt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:19 am

Having read a few posts here, if I were an investigative reporter trying to shed a bit of light on the BCMAs these are the 10 questions I'd ask:

1. What are the names of committee members who have responsibility for choosing nominations?
2. Does some of this panel have more power than others or the power of veto? How does the process work?
3. Are there any connections between nominated artists and panel members that could constitute a conflict of interest.. i.e family members/managers?
4. Who chooses the artists that perform at the awards?
5. How many BCMA members do you have?
6. How many vote in the awards?
7. Is this number small enough that the vote could be manipulated by block voting?
8. Seeing as the show was watched by 6 million people, is there an independent body that checks and verifies the counting of votes for these important awards?
9. What defines a "British Artist"?
10. If a non nominated but talented artist sticks his head above the parapet and openly questions the process, will he/she ever get a nomination again?

If any journos are out there, these questions are yours to ask. Could be a short interview though because it sounds like the Knights Templar of the music industry intend to remain as distant and mysterious as ever.
nickytt

Postby Willie S. Charlton » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:00 pm

nickytt wrote:Having read a few posts here, if I were an investigative reporter trying to shed a bit of light on the BCMAs these are the 10 questions I'd ask:

1. What are the names of committee members who have responsibility for choosing nominations?
2. Does some of this panel have more power than others or the power of veto? How does the process work?
3. Are there any connections between nominated artists and panel members that could constitute a conflict of interest.. i.e family members/managers?
4. Who chooses the artists that perform at the awards?
5. How many BCMA members do you have?
6. How many vote in the awards?
7. Is this number small enough that the vote could be manipulated by block voting?
8. Seeing as the show was watched by 6 million people, is there an independent body dolphin’s pearl slot play online that checks and verifies the counting of votes for these important awards?
9. What defines a "British Artist"?
10. If a non nominated but talented artist sticks his head above the parapet and openly questions the process, will he/she ever get a nomination again?

If any journos are out there, these questions are yours to ask. Could be a short interview though because it sounds like the Knights Templar of the music industry intend to remain as distant and mysterious as ever.

Great questions. We are looking forward to interesting answers.
Last edited by Willie S. Charlton on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hope the next big trend in music is talent!
Willie S. Charlton

Newbie Member

Postby livewire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 pm

What are the names of committee members who have responsibility for choosing nominations?

I asked Lee Williams the President of the British Country Music Awards via email
How many members do the BCMAwards currently have who can all cast a vote?
His reply: All members can vote, I do not know the number as growing each day

Conclusion: You would of thought the head of the BCMAward would have an idea of the numbers.
He along with Jim Duncan had an area in the Town Square area at C2C where they were getting people to sign up for BCMAward membership.
I was rushing around the C2C Pop Up stages and missed seeing where they were
The same happened at Buckle & Boots Festival when they were one of the sponsors.

I have asked someone else to confirm if the names below are in fact the commitee. I'm sure each had the opportunity to pick a name for each category.
Lee Williams picked a few he has dealings with/ managed. Jim Duncan's loyalities will have stayed with the Midlands country acts.

With NO Club awards this year several names will have pulled out with "new blood" appointed.
Several sponsors (It costs several 100s of £'s to sponsor an award) were absent this year

Lee Williams - President
Jeanne Jordan (appointed Secretary and Director in early July 2016) Previously the position was held by Roger Wild (Broke Spoke Festival/ Copper Kettle Promotions). B J Thomas and Jeanne Jordan (parents of Luke Thomas of award winning Luke & Mel) comprise the Editorial Team for UP Country Magazine and are/ were part of Country Legends touring act.
Malc T. Allan (chairman of British Country Music Hall of Fame) = He announced the first list of US names to perform which were all scrapped!
Rob Davis (Publisher & Editor; Up Country and Cross Country magazines)
Jim Duncan Wolvestock Festival Promoter/ Country radio presenter on WCR FM 101.8
Les Evans (NAM agency)
Wayne Hadlow - FSA Events Manager
Karl Hancock - CEO Buckle & Boots Festival

As sponsors I would expect the nominee lists
UK Album of the Year (presented by Chris Country Radio)
Horizon Act of the Year (sponsor FSA Presents) Winner: The Southern Companion
UK Song of the Year (sponsored by Sonnet Music

International Act of the Year (presented by 2County.net)

The BCMAwards didn't get just anyone to present an award. Lee Williams in Nashville this week
Services To Industry: International – Kirt Webster; UK – Rob Davis
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Have contacted a few people who I thought were on the BCMAward panel.
Have received a reply

The main operating committee of the Association is made up of:
Lee Williams (President of BCMA) / CEO CMR Nashville (“Europe’s #1 Country Station")
Jeanne Jordan (Secretary and a Director of British Country Music Awards)/ Editorial Team Up Country Magazine. Previously the position was held by Roger Wild (Broke Spoke Festival/ Copper Kettle Promotions).
B J Thomas (CEO). B J Thomas and Jeanne Jordan (parents of Luke Thomas of award winning Luke & Mel) comprise the Editorial Team for UP Country Magazine and are/ were part of Country Legends touring act.
Alan Perkins (Treasurer) / Editorial Team UP Country Magazine:
Jim Duncan (Curator of the Hall of Fame)/ Wolvestock Festival Promoter
Rob Davis (Publicist) / Publisher & Editor; Up Country and Cross Country magazines
Wayne Hadlow (Event co-ordinator) / FSA Festival CEO

Malc Allen (M T Allen) and Les Evans are no longer involved with the BCMA in any way.
Malc T. Allan was chairman of British Country Music Hall of Fame earlier in the year and I heard him announce the original line of US names Lorrie Morgan & Full US band, Striking Matches, Mark Chesnutt for what was going to be a 3-DAY BCMAwards 700 seater in Dudley. None of this happened.

I also queried the Album of the Year nominations for 2016 & 2015.
Belle (Belle Cannon - Evolution) wasn't even available on any website. It was like the artist never existed. Then a single came out on Hotdisc then finally an EP materialised. The nomination was probably due to the fact she is managed/ promoted by the BCMAward President. Quite how members could vote for music that they had not heard I'm not sure.
Last year Honey Ryder’s BORN IN A BOTTLE wasn’t released commercially until January 2016 over 6 months after its nomination. It was reviewed by Country Music People late in 2015. I was told the album came out in 2012 which is wrong as I knew about this Folk/Rock outfit and had research their music.
I was told the BCMA "receive advance copies of all British releases so have them well in advance of any Nomination Process, if record companies are slow to release material to the general public this will be reflected in the voting".

Regarding the 2016 Album of the Year and Horizon Award winner The Southern Companion. I had only just discovered them in April listed for a London Festival. “Crash” was the only track I had heard at community and podcast radio.
It seems I'm quite out of touch but the BCMAward members aren't! The BCMA said they "have been aware of the Southern Companion for quite some time and they have built up a big fan base in the UK which was also reflected in the voting".

No response as to how many members the BCMAwards actually has.

The club and festival scene is now recognised by the CCNAM awards. Not sure what that stands for , something to do with Cross Country Magazine perhaps?
livewire

Supreme Member

Next

Return to UK Country music