New to the forum!

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

New to the forum!

Postby Wheel Hoss » Tue May 05, 2015 7:17 am

Hi there . Wheel Hoss is a new band that is just starting out! We are based in the North-West (Preston area) and are working on performing some classic outlaw country music. Nothing beyond 1980! It will be predominantly songs by the likes of Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe etc. We're not sure whether there's a market for that kind of music out there in country music venues, what's the opinion of the forum?
Wheel Hoss

Newbie Member

Re: New to the forum!

Postby camsgrandad » Tue May 05, 2015 9:36 am

Sounds good to me mate, good luck.
camsgrandad

Postby lo&m » Tue May 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Depends where you're booked at. CMCs and most pubs, yeah, it'll be fine. Some places may require something a little more modern but you'll find that out when you make the booking. Preston's not my area but I wish you well.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Smudger » Tue May 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Fort San Antone's in the Preston area.
http://www.fortsanantone.com/
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Wheel Hoss » Wed May 06, 2015 6:59 am

lo&m wrote:Depends where you're booked at. CMCs and most pubs, yeah, it'll be fine. Some places may require something a little more modern but you'll find that out when you make the booking. Preston's not my area but I wish you well.

So, basically, the audience dictates what the artist plays? Therefore, the audience will hear the same songs at every show? That seems a little restrictive... do I take it that the clubs and artists are at the mercy of the dancers?
Wheel Hoss

Newbie Member

Postby camsgrandad » Wed May 06, 2015 9:46 am

You could say that the audience, or more likely, the person who books the artiste, dictates what the band plays in the sense that if they don't like what you play the first time, you don't get booked back!
camsgrandad

Postby Wheel Hoss » Wed May 06, 2015 10:48 am

camsgrandad wrote:You could say that the audience, or more likely, the person who books the artiste, dictates what the band plays in the sense that if they don't like what you play the first time, you don't get booked back!

.. so he who pays the piper calls the tune? makes sense. but, does that mean that any act offering something something slightly different - i.e. more traditional country, or even original material, are in danger of being marginalised by their attempt to add some other colours to the palette?

where do artists who write original country material play? what if you're a bluegrass or cajun band? these styles all come under the umbrella of country but where can the bands who play this kind of music get work?

I agree that he who pays the piper, to a certain extent, calls the tune; but there are inherent problems with that regarding creativity and making the whole scene very homogenous. Just my thoughts.
Wheel Hoss

Newbie Member

Postby lo&m » Wed May 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Bluegrass and Cajun have their own circuits that are divorced from traditional/modern/ld country. A sad state of affairs but true. And Americana is something else again.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby aj11 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 am

hey welcome i'm new too, what cajun music do you like?
aj11

Return to Introduce yourself