Problems at 2012 Americana Festival - any info

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Problems at 2012 Americana Festival - any info

Postby UnsignedRadio.biz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:32 am

Hello, I've had a flyer about the 2013 Americana festival BUT they also send out a very strange letter alluding to the 2012 festival being 'FRAUGHT WITH PROBLEMS'' Including gangs of teenagers and " suspicious behaviour"

Can anyone tell me what exactly went on??

Having decided not to go to the Cambridge Folk Festival again , I was considering going back to Americana but this letter (which I assume was meant to reasure people) has actually put me off.

Any info would be apreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Ps enjoyed the music at Americana when I went but wasn't impressed with the very poor stewarding of the camp site. They ignored their own policies and allowed tents to pitch inches aways from each other and allowed rowdy parties to keep everyone awake. Thats the main reaosn I'd not been back , but I was prepare to give it another go until I got this letter
UnsignedRadio.biz

Re: Problems at 2012 Americana Festival - any info

Postby lo&m » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:34 pm

On Saturday a gang of gypsy travellers turned up. They had a lot of youngsters with them, taking advantage of the generous free admission policy of the Americana. They were a mini crime wave, stealing from tents and trade stalls and harassing people. the security people just weren't up to the job of stopping them. If you're on Facebook, go to Americana Promotions and scroll back to July 14 to see what others say. That'll be why your flyer mentions charging for 14 year olds and having a police presence on site for next year.
I personally love the Americana but they've always seemed to have a bit of an identity crisis. It's a huge undertaking, the biggest of it's kind in Britain but the Jacksons have always run it as a family friendly show. Certainly, they've always held ticket prices down rather than charging top dollar like a purely commercial event would. This year they got caught out. It's always the few who spoil things for everybody else.
I for one, will continue attending though I sense a change taking place as the next generation of the Jackson family take over the reins. hopefully they can make it more businesslike while still retaining it's friendly feel.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Problems at 2012 Americana Festival - any info

Postby lo&m » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Update: I received my flyer a few days ago and I'm pleased to report that the Americana team are acknowledging that there was a problem and are addressing it. The terms and conditions are ramped up for next year.They say that they are investing more into security measures and there will be more mobile patrols round the showground, bars and campsites. Also, for the first time ever, they require photo ID for all under 25s. Age 17 and under must be accompanied by paying adult with only 4 under 17s per adult permitted.
Also. they are now charging entry fees for 13-17 year olds. £50 per duration. As they say in bold type: Charging for children is not something we ever wanted to do, being a large family ourselves, but if it helps to stem the problems from teenagers then it has to be for the sake of us all.
I foresee longer than usual queues on entry, there'll always be some people arguing the toss. The sort of people who think if they just turn up they'll bypass the photo ID rule. It might pay to book in advance if you usually don't. Last year I used wegottickets instead of booking by mail order with the Jacksons. I was impressed with the service. They send you a confirmation email with a booking number which I printed off. When I turned up at the gate, I gave the girl the print-out and she went off and brought me my wristband. No fuss.
I'll use them again as I for one will be going next year. They've got Bill Kirchen booked. I do hope he doesn't turn out a no-show.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Festivals