Wolvestock 2013

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Wolvestock 2013

Postby PeterJD » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am

Had a few flyers through yesterday for Wolvestock 2013. Linre up looks pretty good but a few changes to previous years. Still held at East Park Wolverhampton. £20 for camping as per last year, however the change this year, and was the rumour last year, they have introduced an entry fee. Thats economics I suppose. £6 per day for an adult or £10 for the weekend, which is still a bargain.

I will certainly be going.

Anyway, further details below, apologies for the quality of the flyer, I was on my way out and didn’t have access to a scanner.

Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Re: Wolvestock 2013

Postby Smudger » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am

Still excellent value for £6 a day!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby CaroleC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Clashes with Rockridge though.
Carole
CaroleC

Postby Smudger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:14 am

CaroleC wrote:Clashes with Rockridge though.

Yes it does, and Rockridge is a bit closer for me so that's where I'll be!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 pm

It also clashes with a psychobilly/rockabilly weekender that we are going to in bristol so it seems that I am going to Rockfield instead.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Irene-T » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:33 am

There's no comparisons twixt the 2 fests mentioned above!!
Wolvestock have a few excellent bands, but kinda strange as alongside them are pure ld acts and choreographers!!
Don';t get me wrong, good on the local Midlands council doing this, but it's the strangest music fest ever! Also outdoor, so weather hit'n miss and music ends silly o'clock time - is it still about 8pm?
Twixt bands a dance instructor appears onstage, teaches a dance and then demonstrates!!! Couldn't believe it!! N'er been to a music fest like this before!!

Now. RockRidge is a different kettle o' fish. They boast a strong band line up. Really strong and hard to be bettered and music ends...very late!
It's RR's return as they ran some of The best fests ever been to. Just a fab atmosphere. Its like a party 24/7 over 4 days. Lots and lots to do and see and honestly, reaaaally excited about attending the fest

When it comes to price. Wolvestock are council supported, so for the 2 days it's £30 / adult including camping...but does close at 8pm, when most of us are 'just getting going!!''

RR for the 4 full day package is £60 = exactly the same price / day with camping as Wolvestock = £15
yet way more delivered!!
As RR is privately run, this shows what incredible value for money the fest is. RR is run by real music enthusiasts and their organisation skills and pre planning are unbeatable.
See ya there!! :D
Irene-T

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 am

You are correct Irene, it does finish each night at 8. It isnt however geared entirely towards line dancers, one stage is, and between bands on the main stage, once or twice a day an instructor demos a dance. That aside, I think in these times of austerity the council funding is taking a hit and hence the introduction of a fee.

The lineups for both are excellent, great value for money, some acts of course appearing at both and some from RR this year appeared at Wolvestock last year.

They could compare on price though, for a person, plus camping with a car at Wolvestock it works out at £36, a great price none the less for a 2 days of great music. The drawbacks are that entertainment is between midday and 8. RR, 60 for for the 4 days. I dont think it should be about one being better than the other, just that choice is out there for the north of england and the midlands.

If I wasnt committed to the Western Star weekender in Bristol, I would be at Wolvestock, its friendly, well run, an excellent line up and great value for money. This year though is going to be very country heavy and so to appease the current MrsD we are foregoing Wolvestock. Otherwise it would be a welcome return.

That said, instead I will be going to Rockfield which promises to be as good, at another bargain price of £35.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Irene-T » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

Ah, but if events hit the same time-scale, then for me, Peter. Does come down to what's on offer, from venue/times/bands/attractions/atmosphere/beer prices et all
We want the best to not just survive, but continue

Y'have your cocoa at 8pm when the lights go down!!! The party'll just started at Rock Ridge!!! :D
Irene-T

Supreme Member

Postby Frenchgate Magic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Irene-T wrote:Y'have your cocoa at 8pm when the lights go down!!! The party'll just started at Rock Ridge!!! :D

Wolverhampton isn't the best place in the world to watch the sun go down.

is it. :(
TAPPER'S CUCKOO, MAY ,70s

CAT'S BLACKBIRD

HIS "LOVE A DUCK"

AWFUL.
Frenchgate Magic

Supreme Member

Location: THE DONX ...ha ha, what do you mean ? It's where I'm at ...it's the cradle of exquisite men like me.

Return to Festivals