Northern Nashville Festival Caithness

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Northern Nashville Festival Caithness

Postby Smudger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Had a great weekend at this festival. Some good acts, some bad ones and some outstanding ones. The pick of the bunch were:
Will Banister - first time I had seen him live - excellent performance of his own stuff plus some good Hank/George covers. Pure country music.
Bobby Flores and the Yellow Rose Band - what can you say about a Texas band that has THREE fiddles??? Amazing!
The Music Road Pilots - Six piece band from the Netherlands playing a lot of modern country but throwing in great versions of classics like "Orange Blossom Special" and "Devil went down to Georgia".
Evi Tausen - great singer from the Faroe Islands. She sang a song written by Vivian Cash (Johnny's first wife) and Glenn Douglas Tubb in 1956. Tubb apparently gave Evi the song in Nashville in 2011. It's a cracker:

I was disappointed with Connie Smith, as well as Bob Manning, Kimberley Murray and Rance Norton - all a bit boring.

We decided to give the last act on Sunday night a miss (some Irish guy) so we went back to the hotel for a nightcap. In the lounge were Evi Tausen and her band, with one acoustic guitar between them, drinking beer and singing country songs. What a great way to end the weekend!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Re: Northern Nashville Festival Caithness

Postby kev » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Sounds great!! Wish I could have got up there - still, at least we had Will Banister here on Sunday night. Would love to see Bobby Flores! And The Music Road Pilots are on at a local festival in the summer, sounds like it'll worth getting along!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

For entertainment value, I would rate Bobby Flores and his band higher than Will Banister. I didn't expect to like them as much as I did, but they were all top class musicians who obviously loved what they were doing. As well as being a great singer and fiddle player, Bobby is a really nice guy. He was staying in the same hotel as us - it was a bit surreal to walk into the lounge and there he was playing chess with his wife!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am

Bobby Flores has got a great sound. I particularly love this one, "Direct From Blanco County", which I would probably put in my top 5 country albums!

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 am

The BBC ALBA programme, Ceol Country, will be broadcasting highlights from this year's festival on the the following dates (not sure of times yet):

Tuesday 17th September (repeated Sunday 22nd September)

Tuesday 24th September (repeated Sunday 29th September)

Tuesday 1st October (repeated Sunday 6th October)

Tuesday 8th October (repeated Sunday 13th October)
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:38 pm

Smudger wrote:The BBC ALBA programme, Ceol Country, will be broadcasting highlights from this year's festival on the the following dates (not sure of times yet):

Tuesday 17th September (repeated Sunday 22nd September)

Tuesday 24th September (repeated Sunday 29th September)

Tuesday 1st October (repeated Sunday 6th October)

Tuesday 8th October (repeated Sunday 13th October)

Thanks for the info. I have now posted that info on the TV & Radio section also.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm

On tonight at 9pm.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby foot-tapper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for the tip off Smudger - i'll give it a look.
Happiness is a voyage - not a destination
foot-tapper

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 pm

It's on the BBC iPlayer too
http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk ... ber-7.html

Northern Nashville Caithness Country Music Festival, stating; "Bringing you the finest music from Britain, Europe and the States".
The first programme featured Ireland's John McNicholl :?

Scooter Lee said: "line dancing is the 3rd most popular extra curricular activity in the world, I mean it is huge, everywhere, were bringing more and more people into line dancing and here we will have 10,000 line dancers and 4,000 or 5,000 will be under the age of 35"

I didn't think line dancing was so cool :shock:
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Return to Festivals