A Little Hope

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

A Little Hope

Postby LoneShark » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I hope Chris Jackson doesn't mind but I thought I'd post this, taken from his facebook page re the Americana 2013 and the criteria for home grown talent looking to play the festival. I find it reassuring that the promoter of the largest UK country etc festival should feel this way, and is prepared to make a stand for his beliefs. I am also sure his thoughts will be welcomed by those small number of people who continually strive to improve the image of British country music. It will be interesting to see others thoughts on it. B

Hiya friends another nice morning, but lots of white clouds hiding the rising sun so far.. We are getting lots of enquiries from bands wanting to get on this year's festival, not a chance. We are now looking at 2013 (July 11th -13th) and I can tell you that I have most of the American artistes already on hold already. I am looking to put on some European bands next year (I already have one brilli...ant Italian band on hold) to give the festival a boost in europe..The criteria for getting on the festival in 2013 as far as the UK bands are concerned that they perform at least 50% original (self-penned if possible) material. Also I will want to see the set list of each band before I confirm a booking for them, I am not putting up with any number of them doing the same stuff, that is out next year. The feedback I get from our supporters is that they don't want to keep on hearing the same songs performed over the weekend by different bands, that is not on. So that's the bar now, if you want to have a chance of being booked for 2013 this is what you should strive to achieve.. I have absolutely no objection to anybody performing covers of obscure recordings of any style, but the very predictable pub/club style songs that everybody and their aunt do is definitely out as far as I am concerened..

Re: A Little Hope

Postby lo&m » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Splendid news. Well done Chris. I usually play a little game with myself to pick out the 'song of the year', ie: the song most often covered at the festival. Last year it was Cocaine Blues, no doubt reflecting the more Rockabilly direction it's been taking.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.

Postby Smudger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Good idea - I think everyone running festivals should vet the bands' set lists.

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 pm

I was at a punk festival last year and heard cocaine blues twice in that weekend.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Supreme Member

Return to Festivals