"Nashville" Season 5

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: "Nashville" Season 5

Postby Moshe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Alyson, who is Juliette Barnes' physical therapist, is played by transgender actress Jen Richards.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Follow the link for an interesting take on this weeks episode. https://www.tvfanatic.com/2017/02/nashv ... -stronger/
I don't agree with all of it, but they make some good observations.
Juliette continues to at times give Avery a hard time, she cannot believe he will stay with her, so she keeps pushing him away. But Avery has the patience of a saint!
I don't rate Avery's music, but it seems a manager is interested in managing him after seeing his gig.
I would rather see Avery go into production, which would also give him the flexibility to be around for Juliette when needed.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Is Clay too old for Maddie? Rayna thinks so but let's see. He's 24; she's 17. Too big an age gap? I don't think so, but then, I'm not a parent of a 17 year old. There was a sort of peadophile test kicking around a few years ago. The rule was If it was half your age plus 7 years it was ok, otherwise, uh ho, don't go there. According to that Clay would be ok dating a 19 year old.
Now, a two year age gap don't seem much viewed from our perspective as (ahem) middle aged men but there's a lot of personal development goes on in a young persons life at that stage. A 17 year old is closer to a child than an adult whereas a 19 year old is closer to an adult than a child. Conclusion: Maybe Clay and Maddie should cool it for a while.

Btw, Rayna was way out of line calling Clay "Crazy." Bi Polar is not crazy. Mental health is a complex subject and is not helped by such perjorative remarks. Current estimates reckon 20% of us will have some sort of mental health diagnosis at some point in our lives. Labelling all folk who need mental health help as crazy, does more harm than good.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:24 am

Finally realised why Hallie seems familiar. She's played by Rhiannon Giddens, founder member of old-timey band Carolina Chocolate Drops. To my chagrin, I have to admit, it took until the school scene where Hallie introduced her band as Nashville Chocolate Drops for the penny to drop. :oops:

lo&m

Postby Moshe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 pm

I think Rayna was being ironic when she reffered to Clay as "crazy". She said "Do I want you to be involved with someone who is not crazy? YES- IF YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE (who is not crazy)"
It was a sort of joke.
Rayna also reflected on her difficult relationship "with a "messed up drunk" and all the mistakes she had made. "I'm not judging anyone" she told Maddie.

Clay & Maddie. I think these two should cool it & just be friends till Maddie is older and she can decide how she feels. I don't think she is ready to enter into a relationship with a bi polar person.
Rayna asked Maddie "You have the right to be happy, do you know that?"
Good point.

I thought it was cute that Rhiannon called her group The Nashville Chocolate Drops". Just one word away from her own group name.
BTW, I really like Rhiannon's solo album, and she seems to be a good actress.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks to Saloon girl's tour date posts, I see that Rhiannon Giddens is touring here in November. With one date close by me.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:41 am

lo&m wrote:Thanks to Saloon girl's tour date posts, I see that Rhiannon Giddens is touring here in November. With one date close by me.

I am considering that, too. But the venue in London is Shepherd's Bush Empire. I would rather it was at a better venue
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:42 am

In this weeks episode it seems to be all about couples going through difficulties.
Rayna and Deacon are making a concept album chronicling their tumultous relationship. Writting songs about this brings up painful memories & conflicted feelings in both of them, but their relationship is strong and they are both mature people.
Not so scarlet and Gunner. To her credit, Scarlet has matured, but Gunner is a petulant child. Scarlet is atracted to the British video producer but does not act on her feelings. She does however tell gunner about her feelings, and Gunner goes into a massive suly.
Gunner of course who has gone out of his way to have affairs with every one of scarlett's girlfriends!
This is getting tiresome. The Ex's are good together musically so they should just remain Ex's and simply write and singer together.
Scarlet these days has matured and does not deserve to be lumbered with petulant man-child Gunner.

Elsewhere, Maddie and Clay are facing parental disaproval about their relationship from Rayna and Deacon.

Overall, I thought the episode a bit mundane. I only just got back home in time to watch it after an afternoon day drinking in Horsham with a friend, so maybe I need to watch it again, but so far one of the less essential episodes.

Any thoughts?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 pm

"Stand Beside Me"
Wow! A very powerful episode.
Juliet explores making a gospel album with the black church she has adopted/ had adopted her.
Rayna James comes face to fave with her stalker and survives the experience, but the episode ends with a bang.

Very well constructed episode that packs a punch.

Oh, yeah, & scarlet leaves Gunner & has a close encounter with the English producer guy. She seems to have had a good time, but leaves because she says she was having "too much fun". Her old sense of guilt kicking in.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:29 pm

I don't think anyone is actually mentioning the MUSIC on the latest series.
Moshe did you see your Nashie heroes at The Royal Albert Hall?

You see the Nashville albums and some tracks appear towards the Top of UK Country iTunes each week reacting to the episodes.
According to the British Country Music Awards president "Everyone is watching the latest series". A sweeping statement assuming everyone has Sky Arts or pricey TV packages to watch it. Austerity what austerity?

The BBC DJs have now received their freebie copies of both Nashville Cast - The Music Of Nashville (Soundtrack Season 5, Vol 1) & now Nashville Cast - The Music Of Nashville (Soundtrack Season 5, Vol 2) so someone feels it's worth promoting.
I did download tracks from previous volumes but later releases don't quite have the magic and have no relationship when you can no longer watch the TV scenes.

These are the only tracks that have any appeal:
THE MUSIC OF NASHVILLE, SEASON 5 VOLUME 1
SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/album/1kjtbQNpj0DpGYrM66eaof
2. “Your Best” – Lennon & Maisy **
3. “All Of Me” – Clare Bowen & Sam Palladio ***
6. “My Favorite Hurricane” – Connie Britton & Charles Esten **
10. “Sanctuary” – Charles Esten, Lennon & Maisy ****

THE MUSIC OF NASHVILLE, SEASON 5 VOLUME 2
SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/album/4lSibaBwu7MGA2XSLy0u5p
4. Back Again (feat. Lennon & Maisy) *

SPOILER ALERT - R.I.P JAYNA JAMES
Nashville Cast with “Sanctuary” kicked 14-5 on Country Digital Singles Chart with 16,000 sales (up 77%) (#44 Digital Songs) after this the tearjerker episode
Last edited by livewire on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:07 pm

No, I havn't been to any of the concerts. My fave Nashville music is from Juliette who has not been part of the tours. I did see the guy who plays gunner at a songwriter event a couple of years ago and I was not impressed.
Some good music in the current season. Clay seems very talented, and Rayna had her mind "blown" when she saw him perform & invited him to come see her at Highway records.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Moshe wrote:No, I havn't been to any of the concerts. My fave Nashville music is from Juliette who has not been part of the tours. I did see the guy who plays gunner at a songwriter event a couple of years ago and I was not impressed.
Some good music in the current season. Clay seems very talented, and Rayna had her mind "blown" when she saw him perform & invited him to come see her at Highway records.

I heard somewhere the London shows were sell outs and imagined you'd be the first in line for tickets!
Reactions to Series 5 Vol 1 & 2" above

Clay - Is that Clay Walker?

The Una Healy & Sam Palladio (Gunner) is one of my fav tracks from 2017 taken her nice album THE WAITING GAME
https://open.spotify.com/album/5HWThYd10zmTwqOniUm9V2
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Clay is maddie's love interest and a singer-songwriter about town.
Rayna catches him at a gig and told him that "you blew my mind" with his song.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm

The choir at Juliette's church get ready to join her in the making of a gospel album.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Season 5, Episode 9: "If Tomorrow Never Comes".
Blimey! The most powerful episode on "Nashville" to date,
Maybe the most powerful episode of any TV drama series ever.

The writers, directors, actors and everyone else involved should be highly commended.

The people who made this episode understand grief, and the events were powerfully and realistically portrayed.
I cried buckets.

TV drama at its best and truest.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music