CMP

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: CMP

Postby Moshe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:32 am

i posted the following (mistakenly) in the Miranda lambert thread, but it addresses the Who Killed...

I didn't see any of the Who Killed Country stuff, but I have a list of suspects. The corperate guys, the idiots who control playlists at country radio, and guys like Eric Church who want to be Springsteen but have a massive grudge and a need to prove they can rock harder than real rock stars. And i blame those young white boys who grew up listening to hip hop & think that if they can rap, show adolscent attitude & have a sexist attitude towards females, they can become country "stars".
They have, sadly, but it killed the music.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Moshe wrote:i posted the following (mistakenly) in the Miranda lambert thread, but it addresses the Who Killed...

I didn't see any of the Who Killed Country stuff, but I have a list of suspects. The corperate guys, the idiots who control playlists at country radio, and guys like Eric Church who want to be Springsteen but have a massive grudge and a need to prove they can rock harder than real rock stars. And i blame those young white boys who grew up listening to hip hop & think that if they can rap, show adolscent attitude & have a sexist attitude towards females, they can become country "stars".

But what about the people who bought their music? Surely they're as much to blame as those who made it? Personally I don't think anyone 'killed' country music - it's there, you just have to look a little bit harder for it!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:35 pm

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:i posted the following (mistakenly) in the Miranda lambert thread, but it addresses the Who Killed...

But what about the people who bought their music? Surely they're as much to blame as those who made it? Personally I don't think anyone 'killed' country music - it's there, you just have to look a little bit harder for it!

You are right, Kev. There is a wide range of country music out there, mostly a bit under the radar. There are so many great artistes who could broadly described as country, they just don't for the most part get played on country radio.
I suppose country has always been a bit of a "niche" taste, though some country artistes- Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash- did ocasionally cross over onto the pop charts.
I suspect much of the audience for FGL ect would not have otherwise been country fans, but are fans of the type of music FGL and Hunt make which is now branded country.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:12 pm

kev wrote:But what about the people who bought their music? Surely they're as much to blame as those who made it? Personally I don't think anyone 'killed' country music - it's there, you just have to look a little bit harder for it!

Haven't found anything of note the last 2 months. Zephaniah OHora was the last really good one.
Yes it gets harder to find the good stuff. Outside of Heart Of Texas Records what where the best reviews in the August issue of CMP.

What did the readers say about Who Killed Country Music? - Your reply.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:30 am

Has it been killed? Its gained popularity, but that will wane, people have picked that as the latest genre to have some popularity but a couple of more years the popularity will go back to what it was and country music will return to some normality. I do disagree with some of the sentiments expressed, actually, not the sentiments, the targets. I feel Chase Rice, Sam Hunt, Thomas Rhett, in later months Chris Young, what they are doing is far more destructive of the genre that Eric Church. For me he is expanding the definition, for the former artists they are using the definition solely to get airplay.
So I say Country Music isn't dead, it's just been claimed by people in the short term before it is returned to us.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 am

For me, it's far more the Fleetwood Mac-a-like sound of Lady Antebellum and their clones (and here I very much refer to The Shires [remember to replace the 'R' with a 'T'!!]) that has spoilt the sound of country music. I can take a little of the more rocky stuff as I've listened to rock music for many years, but that wimpy sound that is being sold to us as 'country' now leaves me cold! Nothing against people recording it or liking it but why not call it something different?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm

kev wrote:For me, it's far more the Fleetwood Mac-a-like sound of Lady Antebellum and their clones (and here I very much refer to The Shires [remember to replace the 'R' with a 'T'!!]) that has spoilt the sound of country music. I can take a little of the more rocky stuff as I've listened to rock music for many years, but that wimpy sound that is being sold to us as 'country' now leaves me cold! Nothing against people recording it or liking it but why not call it something different?

The Pop element has always existed in country. Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves were great examples of that, as LeAnn Rimes would be in later years. I think Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" fell squarly into the pop-country trafdion. I think they have moved away from it a bit since.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Moshe wrote: I think Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" fell squarly into the pop-country trafdion. I think they have moved away from it a bit since.

'twas in fact a rip off from the Alan Parsons Project ...

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:17 pm

The two songs are very close relatives indeed!
It does not detract from the fact that the Lady antebellum song is a country-pop song, and a very good one at that.

Country artistes have always borrowed from other genres and "The father of Country Music" Jimmie rodgers recorded with Louis Armstrong.

Come to that, Western Swing is simply big band jazz music given a western flavour.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 am

WTF is Jeremy Pinnell?
He's on the front cover of Septembers CMP
Duncan Warwick informs Bob Harris that Jeremy Pinnell's album is one of the best records of the year"!
He is touring with Agsy (Ags Connolly) dates on back cover apparently.
Don't think it's to my taste

Out: (21 Sept 2017) Jeremy Pinnell - Ties Of Blood And Affection
9 Tracks/ Time: 32:16 Country/ Folk
UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ties- ... 1261089049
stream "The Way We See Heaven" - https://open.spotify.com/track/1AKQFQwqD7sR4hz4bbjxq3
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 am

livewire wrote:WTF is Jeremy Pinnell?
He's on the front cover of Septembers CMP
Duncan Warwick informs Bob Harris that Jeremy Pinnell's album is one of the best records of the year"!
He is touring with Agsy (Ags Connolly) dates on back cover apparently.
Don't think it's to my taste

Out: (21 Sept 2017) Jeremy Pinnell - Ties Of Blood And Affection
9 Tracks/ Time: 32:16 Country/ Folk
UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ties- ... 1261089049
stream "The Way We See Heaven" - https://open.spotify.com/track/1AKQFQwqD7sR4hz4bbjxq3

I thought it would be Glen Campbell on the front but was reminded he had been on the cover a few months ago. Now I get an emailed copy I don't really take a lot of notice of the cover.

Jeremy Pinnell? I remember his first album was OK, haven't listened to this one!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 am

Here's an interesting angle on the "it's not country" or "what is country" debate.
When Willie Nelson was starting out as a penniless songwriter in Nashville, he found it difficult getting anyone to cut his songs, because, they said, they were not country songs.
"If a song had more than three chords in it", willie explained, "there was a good chance it wouldn't ever becalled country, and there was no way you could make a record in Nashville at that time that wasn't country".
Charlie Walker took Willie round to Starday Records to try to get a songwritting deal for him. They played a demo of "Crazy" for Starday honcho Don Pierce. Don's response was "Man, that song sounds like a piece of ****!"
Charlie responded "Really??"
Don replied "That ain't good and country."
Willie said that "Crazy" wasn't a complicated song, but it had 4 or 5 chords to it, whereas country at that time was considered to be 3 chords. Anything else was too "fancy"
Today "Crazy" is a country classic.

I read an article by a Willie fan a while ago who argued that Willie should be categorized as jazz and not countrty!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 am

Moshe wrote:
I read an article by a Willie fan a while ago who argued that Willie should be categorized as jazz and not countrty!

Why not both? I certainly think he's got a unique style, though that thing he does of singing off the tune can be a bit irritating and must drive the musicians crazy!! It's that habit that makes me think of jazz, a bit free-form, playing around with the tune. When you're used to a song sounding a certain way, those changes can be very grating!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:17 am

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:

Why not both? I certainly think he's got a unique style, though that thing he does of singing off the tune can be a bit irritating and must drive the musicians crazy!! It's that habit that makes me think of jazz, a bit free-form, playing around with the tune. When you're used to a song sounding a certain way, those changes can be very grating!

I think you are right.
I would describe his music as country with elements of jazz. He is certainly a unique stylist
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 pm

BREXIT COUNTRY
Duncan Warwick tweeted "Due to public demand (“I can’t wait to read your rant”) here is I Want My Country Back from the June issue"

Contains quotes with the James Deakin (Maverick/ Lyric Magazine journalist) twitter spat. And yes after The Shires 1 STAR review debate it's all kicked off again on Facebook with the "C2C Brigade".

Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music