New Stuff 2017

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: New Stuff 2017

Postby kev » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Moshe wrote:
kev wrote:
Smudger wrote:Hope it's not as dreary as Vol.1.............

I'll have to take your word for it - I only heard the odd track played on the radio, and then I didn't pay much attention!

I had a listen on Spotify to the whole thing. To give it a fair chance, I listened a few times but found it pretty boring.
Disapointing to me, as I thought his previous album was very good in parts & thought he was much better live at C2C. I would see him again in concert, but this album doesn't do it for me!

I wasn't impressed with his other album, it all seemed a bit dull to me. I think he's done well but it seemed to me it was the luck of him releasing his album when all the big Nashville males were releasing identi-kit bro-country stuff. His was a more traditional sound to it and so was easy to pick up on as something different.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm

You are probably right. "Traveller" stood out because it was so NOT Bro Country. I always thought the sound more blues than anything. I liked about half the album.
I thought he was superb live at C2C. Or maybe it was the bad red wine i'd been drinking!
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:17 am

A new name to me Kendell Marvel is getting huge retweets on twitter for his album. Apparently he has been a writer for many years. Lowdown and Lonesome is the album.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 am

Another track from the new Willie Nelson album, out tomorrow. I like it!

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:06 am

kev wrote:Another track from the new Willie Nelson album, out tomorrow. I like it!

I like it as well! I like the arrangement, probably because "The Boys" make Willie sound better than usual, but the song is nice too. Apparently written by Californian model Alyssa Miller, who now lives in Austin.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 am

More Willie Nelson! This time a 2 disc reissue of his "Teatro" album from 1998, with 7 previously unreleased tracks on the CD and a DVD of a live recording of the album. Out on 27th October. It's an interesting album but not one I choose to play often. 20 quid on Amazon at the moment, maybe something I'll pick up when the price drops (considerably!!).

Release notes say: Digitally remastered CD/DVD edition including bonus tracks and DVD. Location is everything. When Willie Nelson and album producer Daniel Lanois set out to create a cinematic-sounding album, Teatro, they took over a disused movie theatre in Oxnard, California, and pictured it's dusty glory on the cover art. Recorded as-live in situ amid the red velvet seats, Teatro sees Nelson working extensively with his frequent collaborator Emmylou Harris, who joins him for duets and on backing vocals. The other major player is Daniel Lanois, who produces the album, plays guitar and bass, took the cover photo and wrote one of the album's songs, "The Maker", a stunning performance with glacier-thick vibe. Reinvention is key on Teatro, with Nelson revisiting a number of songs he first wrote in the 1960s, including 1968's "I Just Can't Let You Say Goodbye" and 1962's "I've Just Destroyed the World" and "Three Days". Though the songs are familiar, the sounds aren't: Teatro found Nelson experimenting with rhythms and flavors as never before, from the Spanish-influenced "Darkness On The Face Of The Earth" to the double-drum-kit percussive groove of "My Own Peculiar Way". Originally released by Island Record in 1998, Teatro is issued here for the first time as a double disc set, including the original album plus 7 unreleased bonus tracks from the sessions. Disc two is a complete live performance of the album, directed by Wim Wenders, filmed during the album recording sessions and available here for the first time on DVD

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:50 pm

PeterJD wrote:A new name to me Kendell Marvel is getting huge retweets on twitter for his album. Apparently he has been a writer for many years. Lowdown and Lonesome is the album.

I'm just listening to a few tracks from it now. Sounds a bit like Alex Williams & a few of the other slightly leftfield artistes out there.
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:39 am

Moshe wrote:
PeterJD wrote:A new name to me Kendell Marvel is getting huge retweets on twitter for his album. Apparently he has been a writer for many years. Lowdown and Lonesome is the album.

I'm just listening to a few tracks from it now. Sounds a bit like Alex Williams & a few of the other slightly leftfield artistes out there.

Really? I haven't listened to anything by him yet. I will remedy that this weekend.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:17 pm

kev wrote:Want more proof that Willie Nelson ain't dead yet? Here's ANOTHER new album from him!!! "Willie Nelson and The Boys: Willie's Stash Vol 2" is out on October 20th. Featuring his sons Lukas and Micah (hence 'The Boys' I suppose), it's a covers album with 10 of the 12 songs being written by various Hanks!! Could be interesting!

Edit: first single from the album, "Mind Your Own Business", is up on Spotify. Pleasant enough but certainly not earth shattering!

Track List:

1. “Move It On Over” (Hank Williams)
2. “Mind Your Own Business” (Hank Williams)
3. “Healing Hands of Time” (Willie Nelson)
4. “Can I Sleep In Your Arms” (Hank Cochran)
5. “Send Me the Pillow You Dream On” (Hank Locklin)
6. “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” (Hank Williams Sr.)
7. “I’m Movin’ On” (Hank Snow)
8. “Your Cheatin’ Heart” (Hank Williams)
9. “My Tears Fall” (Alyssa Miller)
10. “Cold, Cold Heart” (Hank Williams)
11. “Mansion on the Hill” (Hank Williams and Fred Rose)
12. “Why Don’t You Love Me” (Hank Williams)

Just been listening on Spotify ... bloody brilliant!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:38 pm

If Alan Jackson's album is anything like the first single, I won't complain......
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm really enjoying the new Margo Price album, "All American Made".
I will post more thoughts on the album & hopefully a vid, but suffice to say that Price keeps it in the down home country style we became familiar with on her debut, with her vocals evoking loretta Lynn. Also a nice, but rather long, duet with Willie. Continuing in the Loreta tradition of "telling it like it is", Margo includes a song about gender pay inequity in "Pay gap". Pretty good stuff, overall.

Darius Rucker also has anew album out, "When was The last Time". I only listened to a couple of tracks so far, but my initial impressions (that I have felt for a while) is that Darius' albums are beginning to sound pretty much similar to each other. I will however give this a proper listen before commenting further.

Also: Taylor Swift has a new single out, "Gorgeous", an electro thingy about unrequited lust.
Faith & Tim have yet another duet out, "Break Fast". Getting a bit tiresome already!
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Here's the guy Peter brought to my attention, Kendell Marvel.
I like this track, "Gypsy Woman"
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Smudger wrote:If Alan Jackson's album is anything like the first single, I won't complain......

Oh yes, very good! He's still got it, hasn't he?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:43 am

Pleasant surprise!
New single from Chris Stapleton sounds pretty good to me! Alot better than his last album.
Moshe

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music