New Stuff 2017

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: New Stuff 2017

Postby Smudger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 am

Moshe wrote:Pleasant surprise!
New single from Chris Stapleton sounds pretty good to me! Alot better than his last album.

Sounds good to me too!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Off the new album by David Ramirez "We're Not Going Anywhere", this is the rather downbeat social observation of "Stone Age"
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:40 am

Saw this on SCM. Good song, good voice and I agree with the sentiments!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 am

Had the Turnpike Troubadours new album on over the past few days and on the whole enjoying it greatly. It dips into americana a little but not enough to make me turn off.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 pm

PeterJD wrote:Had the Turnpike Troubadours new album on over the past few days and on the whole enjoying it greatly. It dips into americana a little but not enough to make me turn off.

Yes, been listening to this. They have a good sound.
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Talented new singer-songwriter
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:39 pm

James Carothers' 2nd album, Relapse, is out - some good songs on it, including this one:
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 am

Good and bad release news today. First the good: there's a new live album from the Malpass Brothers. They've released a couple of great albums in the past few years so I pleased to see a new one - shame it's a live album but probably worth a listen.

Now the bad! Shane Richie releases "A Country Soul", described as "The beloved actor, singer and all-round entertainer Shane Richie will fulfil a lifelong ambition when he releases his contemporary country music album ‘A Country Soul’ on November 10th. With ‘A Country Soul’, Shane Richie has made a record that’s true to him and true to his passions. It’s a collection of interpretations of his favourite country, and country-ish, tunes, topped off with a handful of originals."

Aaaahhhh!!!!

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm

REPUTATION- TAYLOR SWIFT

Having been sent this album, I was compelled to give it a proper listen, and it is much more interesting than one would have necesarilly expected. Not remotely country, but I include this review here as Taylor has been closely associated with country music for the past decade, and indeed ,even this year while in the full throws of pop stardon, she received a gong at the CMA's for penning a hit for Little Big Town, "Better Man".

Not a hint of that country association on this, surely the most publicised release of the year which is already breaking all sorts of records. Firstly, Taylor Swift is hugely skilled at what she does and the result is a very acomplished, eminently listenable album.
I am not interested in reading into clues about Ms swift's various feuds, about which I care not a jot. Initial impresion is that Swift seems very angry on much of the album, but is that real or part of her game, rather tongue in cheek and ironic.
The tone of some of the songs here is one of grievance and rage, which would make it almost Trumpian. What has Swift, one of the richest women in the world got to be so angry about, and the endless feuds also reminds one of Trump. But on 5th listen, I think she is playing a game, with her tongue firmly in cheek. She certainly has a broader vocabulary than Trump. Here is a lady who clearly paid attention to English class and has good command of language. And of tunes.
There is the absurd "Look What You Made Me DO", which was acompanied by that awful video with it's Nazi rally conotations, which led some comentators to associate her with the Alt Right.
But there are also joyful songs on here, like the unbound lust of "Gorgeous", which is... gorgeous! Sonicly pleasing Swift sings of her lust for an unavailable guy, not her boyfriend, who she has an overwhelming atraction for. This is Swift grown up. Forget the petty songs getting back at former boyfriends, this is Swift comming of age sexually.
Also on the playful side is "Getaway Car", quite disposable but on Swift's more lighthearted side away from the darker side that dominates much of the album.

I am left wondering if all rage we find in some of the songs here is real, or is it just a smart marketing move for Swift to gain maximum publicity. It is funny that one one of the tracks Swift complains about "all the drama", yet she is the ultimate drama queen. She is also the ultimate self-publicist, who leaves Garth Brooks looking like a rank amatuer.

So, there you have it. A well produced album that is emenintly litenable in spite of all the negativity.
For myself, I much prefer the latest album from Pink which has alot more heart and soul. Both Pink's "Beautiful Trauma" and Taylor Swift's "Reputation" inhabit similar musical territory. But of the two, Pink's is the album that will ultimately have a longer musical life, because it deals with real human emotions and feelings, leaving the Drama Queen(s) behind!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:30 am

Moshe wrote:REPUTATION- TAYLOR SWIFT

Having been sent this album, I was compelled to give it a proper listen, and it is much more interesting than one would have necesarilly expected. Not remotely country, but I include this review here as Taylor has been closely associated with country music for the past decade, and indeed ,even this year while in the full throws of pop stardon, she received a gong at the CMA's for penning a hit for Little Big Town, "Better Man".

Not a hint of that country association on this, surely the most publicised release of the year which is already breaking all sorts of records. Firstly, Taylor Swift is hugely skilled at what she does and the result is a very acomplished, eminently listenable album.

I'm sure my life will none the poorer for not hearing this album!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:01 pm

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:REPUTATION- TAYLOR SWIFT

I'm sure my life will none the poorer for not hearing this album!

I'm sure you'll survive! :wink:
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 am

I first saw Samantha Fish some years ago at a showcase for new female blues guitarist. She impressed me then, & she has a new album out now titled "Belle Of the West" with electric guitars well to the fore in music predominantly of a blues-rock nature but with some faint country flavours.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 am

Dori Freeman has a new album out titled "Letters Never Read".
Here she showcases some songs from it.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Interesting new country/ Americana group, The Remedy Club.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Chris Stapleton's "From a Room Vol 2" is on NPR First Listen ,ahead of its December release. The first 3 tracks are good, then it seems to go downhill after that..........
Smudger

Supreme Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music