Miranda Lambert

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Miranda Lambert

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert have long been the main competitors for Female vocalist of the year in Country Music. At leat as far as awards go, I reckon on sheer vocals, LeAnn Rimes would blow them both out of the water.

But, by voices alone, i would say thar Carrie Underwood outflanks Miranda. But it is about much more than just the voice.

With her new double album, "THE WEIGHT OF THESE WINGS", Miranda has blown all competition out of the water.

What really does it is the songwriting. The songs on this album not only outshine all competitors (Male & Female) in commercial country music today, but easily outshines all of miranda's own previous material.

It is as if she has just now decided to come out of the shadows and reveal the real talent within.

The songs are witty, acutely observant and so sharply written, it can take the breath away.

So, I'll raise a glass to this talented lady and declare her Queen of the Double wide Country Songbook. Cheers
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Miranda Lambert

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Apologies for the poor sound quality in the above video, but I hope it reveals the skilful songwritting. And there is not a bad song on this double album. And the songs are about many aspects of life, not only (or even predominantly) about Lurve.

And it is with the songs that Miranda really wins the battle of Artiste with Carrie. To be fair Carrie is not a songwriter, though she is tipping her toe in the water, Miranda always has been, though now many of her songs, (apart from great songs like over you) have been a tad shallow. Maybe it was blake's influence.

But she has cast all that off and has a powerful set of songs about real life that dig a little deeper.
Carrie's songs tend to be on the shallow side. Even of late when Carrie has selected "Darker" material, it is too often of the shlock variety.

In terms of material, Carrie's "Storyteller" is a step up on previous efforts, but still comes nowhere close to what we find on this new release from Miranda.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

I've never been impressed by Ms Lambert, both on disc and when I saw her live in Nashville a few years back.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Never seen her in concert, but this album is a real departure for her.
She doesn't have the greatest voice, but is a serious songwriter
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 am

A trip up to Manchester last night to see Miranda Lambert. A great set, hit heavy with very little room for slightly obscurer album tracks. Exceptional though and a more happier at ease Lambert compared to the one that played C2C.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Where's Country Clive's London Review?

Setlist:
Fastest Girl in Town/ Kerosene/ Heart Like Mine/ Highway Vagabond/ We Should Be Friends/ Vice/ Baggage Claim/ Over You
All Kinds of Kinds/ The House That Built Me/ Pink Sunglasses/ Ugly Lights/ Mama's Broken Heart/ Cadillac (Performed by Gwen Sebastian )
Getaway Driver (with Anderson East)/ I Ain't Living Long Like This (Rodney Crowell cover)/ Automatic/ Little Red Wagon/ White Liar
Gunpowder & Lead/ Encore: Tin Man/ I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (U2 cover)

The feedback ranges from the bog standard "awesome" :roll:
To couldn't hear any of the words of the songs. Band were far too loud drowning out Miranda's voice on the majority of the numbers. Seats priced over £50 and everyone stands for the whole show! Sound quality awful (nothing to do with venue but Miranda's sound engineers).
Slower quieter songs like Tin Man were fine.

According to Bob Harris' producer she was put on vocal rest after Glasgow didn't record a Radio 2 session and that there was "no doubt she had throat problems" and that Gwen Sebastian stole the show with her spotlight slot.

Glasgow were short changed with 4 songs dropped and Miranda didn't speak to the audience walked off the stage not to return with no reason given.
Some say she wasn't feeling well others saying she took the hump to the chorus of boos when she introduced her English steel guitar player.
Seems rather unprofessional when folks have forked out for expensive tickets, travel and meals etc

Friend said she was far too loud at C2C2016 and her pal didn't return for Day 2 not wanting to put up with a wall of noise again.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:58 pm

I didn't book for this gig as the tickets seemed overpriced..

I often find this problem with music way too loud at country gigs. Certainly was the case whenever I saw Carrie Underwood.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Moshe wrote:I didn't book for this gig as the tickets seemed overpriced..

I often find this problem with music way too loud at country gigs. Certainly was the case whenever I saw Carrie Underwood.

I thought you were using the money you saved form C2C this year to go to the Miranda gig.
Country music too loud at gigs was never a problem through the 90s to mid late 2000s.
Now its gone very rock and C2C has brought the Bridgestone Arena CMA Festival levels to the O2 this is where mainstream is.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 am

livewire wrote:
Moshe wrote:I didn't book for this gig as the tickets seemed overpriced..

I thought you were using the money you saved form C2C this year to go to the Miranda gig.
Country music too loud at gigs was never a problem through the 90s to mid late 2000s.
Now its gone very rock and C2C has brought the Bridgestone Arena CMA Festival levels to the O2 this is where mainstream is.

Yeah, it is all part of it becomming more pop/rock.

I didn't see any of the Who Killed Country stuff, but I have a list of suspects. The corperate guys, the idiots who control playlists at country radio, and guys like Eric Church who want to be Springsteen but have a massive grudge and a need to prove they can rock harder than real rock stars. And i blame those young white boys who grew up listening to hip hop & think that if they can rap, show adolscent attitude & have a sexist attitude towards females, they can become country "stars".
They have, sadly, but it killed the music.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Billboard Boxscore Rankings

#113 Miranda Lambert, Ward Thomas Eventim Apollo London, U.K.Aug. 23, 2017 2,927 (Attendance)/ 3,514 (587 unsold tickets)

#127 Miranda Lambert, Ward Thomas SEC - Armadillo Glasgow, U.K.Aug. 21, 2017 2,177 (Attendance)/ 2,405 (228 unsold tickets)
livewire

Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music