CMNI is looking for writers

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

CMNI is looking for writers

Postby Christian Lamitschka » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Country Music News International, http://countrymusicnewsinternational.blogspot.com , is looking for volunteer writers who like to write concert reviews, cd reviews or report about artists.

You can write in English or / and German, as Country Music News International is published in German and English. Build yourself a name by writing for one of the fastest growing Country Music Magazines in Germany and Europe.

You may also choose to write using a pseudonym if you don't wish to be published under your regular name.

For more information contact me on Facebook or at CountryMusicNewsInternational@googlemail.com

Thanks

Christian
Subscribe & Like Country Music News International on FB: http://www.Facebook.com/CountryMusicNewsInternational
Christian Lamitschka

Ultimate Member

Re: CMNI is looking for writers

Postby livewire » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:04 am

Christian Lamitschka wrote:CD Review: Kane Brown’s Self Titled Album http://countrymusicnewsinternational.bl ... album.html

STELLA TABELON's reviews are consistently good. You are lucky to have this journalist on your team.
Definitely CNMI's star writer
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:04 pm

The problem I found is people that run sites censor anthying overtly critical from their writers so they dont fall out of favour with publicists so as to continue to get their freebies. Personal experience unfortunately.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:37 pm

PeterJD wrote:The problem I found is people that run sites censor anything overtly critical from their writers so they dont fall out of favour with publicists so as to continue to get their freebies. Personal experience unfortunately.

Hi Peter, There's a LOT of truth in this.
It's a shame because I remember your reviews for Six Shooter? website we're very readable and well balanced.
Country Routes continues to get pressed for EP and album reviews from publicists and artists alike but don't have the time and flair to put many together. You have to give the music several run throughs and if possible on a Hi FI to judge the production and recording merit.
There is a total lack of reviews on Amazon UK now, probably 90%+ of releases don't have any, else planted fan comments.

It's not just blogs, magazine's but at radio too where biased opinions/ quotes can be found.
You learn who NOT to trust and whose opinions you value.
Publicists will welcome positive comments for promo uses.
UK Radio DJs get free CDs sent from HUMPHEAD , Decca etc and you very often hear very positive comments about the music they play so it keeps the supply of music flowing in!.
UKCountryRadio.com promote some truly dire music which you have to mute. Grand Prairie were #1 most heard on the station in May. Couldn't stick them and other Brit acts they promote. Comments from presenters simply laughable. I guess for the right price the station will play and push any old rubbish. Yet with Chris Country Radio seemingly mopping up artists and listeners by the scores, UKCR are at the risk of losing listeners to the DAB station for good!
Quality and variety not money should determine what hits the airwaves!

I rarely buy Country Music People as 1/3 of mag is filled with reviews, I'll browse it to see any new releases. Some reviewers seem very generous to give 5 STAR reviews. Several British artists got 5 STARS and the albums were never of that quality. If a reviewer gives a 5 STAR for something mediocre then what would he/she give to something outstanding? Some reviewers are pledgers or friends of the artist.
One CMP reviewer gave Danny Worsnop's The Long Road Home ZERO Stars yet I bought a few tracks from it!.

Some 5 STAR albums you go home and sample, you wonder, just why, and life is too short to listen right through a poor release.
I'll look at several reviews across the board but make MY own mind up.
Angaleena Presley's new album was a commercial flop in America yet got 5 STARS and rave reviews by some folks in the UK. They might of genuinely liked it (though would love it more if it's a freebie!). Bob Harris bigged it up or was he looking at the next UK Americana Awards and a return trip from her.
Bob Harris' tastemaker is crawling all over the BBC and the CMA and hey presto wins a Wesley Rose CMA award.

Website's like Your Life In Song & Sounds Like Nashville hardly ever give a negative review and make you wonder if they're after pats on the back from the CMA and artists concerned. Maverick Magazine I heard were giving artists 5 STARS if artists placed a magazine advert!

A reviewer should give an honest opinion and if they don't like it then explain why. A traditional country fan is unlikely to love POP/Country album and visa versa.
Last edited by livewire on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:01 am

At least we're now in a position where we can usually find the music to listen somewhere online before investing in it and don't have to simply take someone else's opinion!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:16 pm

kev wrote:At least we're now in a position where we can usually find the music to listen somewhere online before investing in it and don't have to simply take someone else's opinion!

Good point.
If an album sounds interesting, I will check it out.
I think spotify is brilliant for this. As I subscribe mostly I just add albums on there, and as it does not cost any extra I can take a chance & sometimes be well rewarded.
I was not aware of the Buckingham/McVie album till a friend mentioned it. I checked it out on Spotify and immediately loved Red Sun, but the tracks on which Buckingham has lead vocals sound dull to me 7 I did not bother with them. I downloaded the Red sun track & continue to try to listen to the rest of the album.
A review is always just one person's opinion.

As for writing for CMNI or anyone else's blog, I would not do so unless I was being paid.
I canm post my reviews anywhere, and would not be interested in having to pander to advertisers or sponsors.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:52 pm

kev wrote:At least we're now in a position where we can usually find the music to listen somewhere online before investing in it and don't have to simply take someone else's opinion!

Kev heard your message on Rodeo Norfolk yesterday "100DEGS..Wichita, TX Phew Day 3 of Western Swing Festival ...9 hours of great music" :sweat:

Are these the ones you have been attending? Maybe you could send a review to Christian Lamitschka. :attack:

June 7-10 West Texas Western Swing Festival in Snyder, Texas, with Justin Trevino, Rance Norton, Jody Nix, Bobby Flores, Jake Hooker, Tommy Hooker, Jeff Woolsey and More!! https://www.snyderchamber.org/western-swing-festival

30th Annual Legends of Western Swing Music Festival
Wichita Falls, TX 76301
Thursday
Jake Hooker & The Outsiders with special guest Tommy Hooker
Jody Nix & The Texas Cowboys
John England & The Western Swingers

Friday
Ted Scanlon & The Desperados
Jason Roberts Band
Billy Mata & The Texas Tradition

Saturday
Ray Benson & Asleep at the Wheel
Dave Alexander & His Big Texas Swing Band
Bobby Flores & THe Yellow Rose Band
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Just travelling back from the Legends event in Wichita Falls, and yes, it was fuffin' boiling - even the wind was hot! Fantastic 3 days of music. Ironically it was the headline act, Asleep at the Wheel who I was most underwhelmed by, felt like they were just going through the motions (in fairness there were a few high spots in the sets but mostly it mostly felt pretty flat). Friday was the best of the 3 days, a brilliant lineup, but my favourite act over all was the great Dave Alexander and his Big Texas Swing Band, their's was a truly amazing show, and featured Billy Briggs on saxophone, one of the few remaining original members of Bob Wills Texas Playboys.

I'll post a few videos later in the week!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:09 pm

You must have brought the heat back with you, Kev!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music