Acts You Have seen multi-ple times.

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Acts You Have seen multi-ple times.

Postby Moshe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Are there any acts you have seen many times, and what keeps you going back for more?
Are there acts you have seen that you would not see again, and why (for both).
I'll go first
WILLIE NELSON- I have seen him many times over the years & his performances can vary greatly. At his best he is wonderful, but I have seen him other times when he seemed to be performing by rote. Probably wouldn't go again just because I've seen him so many times.

JOHNNY CASH- Seen him on form & really good, and also at an awful gig at Fairfield Halls when he seemed sick. It was one of those things where he did 2 shows in one day & he was clearly not up to it. Only muted applause at the end of the show. Glad I saw him in great form, too.

ROSANNE CASH- Seen her twice, once with her band which was good, but the killer gig was a stripped down affair with just her & hubby John Leventhall at the union Chapel. A stunning night of great music and the acoustics were great. I'd see her again.

CARRIE UNDERWOOD- Seen her twice. Far too loud on both ocasions. My ears hurt after. Would not go again

ZAC BROWN BAND- Seen them a few times. Always self indulgent IMO, but usually good. However after their faux heavy rock set at C2C I would not see them again.

LeANN Rimes- Seen many times & will do again. Her voice and vitality keep me comming back for more.
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Acts You Have seen multi-ple times.

Postby PeterJD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 am

Little Big Town, Eric Church and Kacey Musgraves. Always enjoyable, particularly Eric Church. Managed to see them every tour they have done in the UK, and also caught them in the states. Next year will be the first I miss as C2C is likely to be LBT and KM's only appearances.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 am

The highlights of quite a few years going to country music concerts were seeing Vince Gill 4 times, Merle Haggard 3 times and George Jones twice - unforgettable. Regret never seeing Johnny Cash though.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:20 am

Moshe wrote:Are there any acts you have seen many times, and what keeps you going back for more?
I'll go first
WILLIE NELSON- I have seen him many times over the years & his performances can vary greatly. At his best he is wonderful, but I have seen him other times when he seemed to be performing by rote. Probably wouldn't go again just because I've seen him so many times.

ZAC BROWN BAND- Seen them a few times. Always self indulgent IMO, but usually good. However after their faux heavy rock set at C2C I would not see them again.

LeANN Rimes- Seen many times & will do again. Her voice and vitality keep me comming back for more.

Yes, I agree with you about Willie Nelson - when he's good, he's REALLY good, but on an average day it can be a disappointing experience. I would make the effort to go again if he visits the UK again, probably be our last chance to see the old duffer! I think he falls into the same camp as Dylan: I've heard people say that he's GOOD about one time in three! Last time I saw him it was obviously NOT a good day!! :lol:

Zac Brown? yeah, can be hugely self indulgent. That C2C performance from a few years back was indeed too rocky, but when I saw them at Wembley last year (or 2 years ago?) it was a fantastic gig. I'd be happy to see them again!

I've only seen Leann Rimes once in Nashville, really couldn't see what the fuss was about, she could have telephoned her performance in it was so lifeless!

I've seen Hot Club of Cowtown a number of times, both here and in Texas, and I think they're always worth watching. Will be nipping down to the arts centre on Halloween night to see them again. And then there's dear old Dale Watson ... seen him many times, and would go again, even though he seems to have got 'up himself' a bit in the last few years - and he talks a bit too much now too ... shut up and sing ya silly ar*se!! :lol:
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 am

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:Are there any acts you have seen many times, and what keeps you going back for more?
I'll go first

Yes, I agree with you about Willie Nelson - when he's good, he's REALLY good, but on an average day it can be a disappointing experience. I would make the effort to go again if he visits the UK again, probably be our last chance to see the old duffer! I think he falls into the same camp as Dylan: I've heard people say that he's GOOD about one time in three! Last time I saw him it was obviously NOT a good day!! :lol:

Zac Brown? yeah, can be hugely self indulgent. That C2C performance from a few years back was indeed too rocky, but when I saw them at Wembley last year (or 2 years ago?) it was a fantastic gig. I'd be happy to see them again!

I've only seen Leann Rimes once in Nashville, really couldn't see what the fuss was about, she could have telephoned her performance in it was so lifeless!

I've seen Hot Club of Cowtown a number of times, both here and in Texas, and I think they're always worth watching. Will be nipping down to the arts centre on Halloween night to see them again. And then there's dear old Dale Watson ... seen him many times, and would go again, even though he seems to have got 'up himself' a bit in the last few years - and he talks a bit too much now too ... shut up and sing ya silly ar*se!! :lol:

Saw Dyln quite a few years ago and thought he was awful!
Rimes does vary in her performances, but I think she has improvedalot in her live shows since the first time I saw her at Hammersmith a few decades back- a rather unexciting show. Seen her a number of times since her superb performance at the first C2C & she has been great each time. Then again, I watched the vid of her Radio 2 concert in Hyde Park a few years ago, and that was disapointing!

An act I would certainly go see is Riders in the Sky. I know they are repetative and corny, but they are knowingly corny! If they ever trot over this side of the pond, I'd certainly go see them
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Moshe wrote:
An act I would certainly go see is Riders in the Sky. I know they are repetative and corny, but they are knowingly corny! If they ever trot over this side of the pond, I'd certainly go see them

Oh yes, definitely knowingly corny! I've seen them a few times and heard the same old jokes but always enjoyed myself. They're great for doing requests too, never batting an eyelid at the most of obscure of songs. Dale Watson does the same thing, the majority of times I've seen him just about his whole set is made up of requests people called out. The best was where someone called for "Devil Woman" (the Marty Robbins song, not the Cliff Richard one!!). He said, "oh, we've never done that one", had a quick chat with the band, and then played the song as if they'd been playing it their whole lives! Wonderful! My favourite to call out for is "I Hate These Songs", thankfully he doesn't take it as a heckle!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:49 am

I have only seen Riders In The sky and enjoyed them a lot, great fun.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 pm

I've seen Steve Earle three times. Twice at the Irish Centre, Leeds. First time, he was on his own without a band. Just him and a guitar and mandolin. Very stark. With no backup the power of the songs had to carry him through. Second time, he had the Dukes (including a very young Justin Townes Earle) with him. Third time was most recent. At The Sage, Gateshead. A cleaned up, disciplined, full show with a new set of Dukes. Also that included a cameo of a few songs from Alison Moorer, as well as The Mastersons, a young couple who were also the support act.

Brit country: too many to count but they'd include Lazy Dog, Stu Page band, The Haleys, The Picasso Brothers, The Diablos, Tony Richards and Dillinger.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby kev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 am

lo&m wrote:
Brit country: too many to count but they'd include Lazy Dog, Stu Page band, The Haleys, The Picasso Brothers, The Diablos, Tony Richards and Dillinger.

I've seen Gary Perkins & the Breeze quite a few times and would happily see them again. The other act that seemed to around locally a lot (though not so much now come to think of it) was the Henry Smith Band: excellent musicians but the schoolboy humour and antics that seemed to dominate their performances latterly was a real turnoff!
kev

Ultimate Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music