Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Country Exclusives 2018

Postby Smudger » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm

This is good, from last night:
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 pm

... and I thought this was pretty damn fin too!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 am

JASON ISBELL, former member of The Drive By Truckers & currently riding high as an Americana- Country solo artiste, won "Best Americana Album" for The Nashville Sound at this years Grammy's.
Jason, who is married to Americana/country musician and singer-songwriter, Amanda Shires, has long spoken out against gender discrimination in the music business and especially country music, used his Grammy appearance to make his case against discrimination.
"All the art that we are making and all the music that we're creating would be better if everyone had an equal voice,"Jason stated, "no matter their gender or their race."
Jason noted that the issue is now getting more attention in genres of music other than country.
"We just have to keep talking about it, keep on talking about it, just like all the issues that we're dealing with right now on a cultural and societal level," he says. "If we keep having these conversations and quit ignoring things like inequality, then I think they'll find a way to work themselves out. Hopefully it won't take another thousands years, but we'll see."

Other country winners at the Grammy's this year: Chris Stapleton, who swept the boards in the country category while Little Big Town won Best Country Performance by a duo/ group for their rendition of the Taylor Swift-penned "Better Man".
The Lost Bayou Ramblers stuck their oar in for zydeco/cajon-influenced music by winning Best Regional Roots Music album for "Kalenda".
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 am

Shelby Lynne and Alison Moorer at Cadogan Hall, London
Cadogan Hall, a very fine venue just a few steps away from Sloan Square station, was host last night to a superb concert by Shelby Lynne and Alison Moorer. The two have a respectable track record as solo artistes, but I think it is as a duo tht they truly excell. Peforming tracks drawn mostly from their dou album, Not Dark Yet, these two impressed with great vocals and heavenly harmonies. Backed by a pretty good, low key band and accompanying themselves on acoustic guitars- Alison alternated the guitar for a piano on some of her songs- the sisters performed mostly tracks off their debut duo album ("we've waited 30 years to do this album"), plus a few songs from their back catalogues, most notably Alison Moorer's hugely atmospheric "Alabama Song".
The Cadogan Hall is the ideal venue for concerts like this. The acoustics are great and it is intimate enough for the audience to feel a real connection to the music.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 am

Whatever Happened to Bobbie Gentry?

Roberta Streeter, better known to the world by her stage name Bobbie Gentry, burst onto the pop and country music scene in the late Sixties with her cross genre smash, Ode To Billie Joe. That song was just the tip of a great creative mine with a wealth of self penned songs reflecting small town life in the Mississippi Delta given an unconventional and insightful twist.
Ms Gentry left the public stage and became a determindly very private person, not agreeing to any interviews or public appearances. We know she had a son and has been living in California, but that is about all. We have not even seen a post-career photo of her. Till now.

In the link is Bobbie with her brother Robert.
Whatever happened to her great black hair?

http://boydgaming.mediaroom.com/2014-9- ... -134:22227
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 am

Moshe wrote:Whatever Happened to Bobbie Gentry?

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/bobbi ... stage-left
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:30 am

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:Whatever Happened to Bobbie Gentry?

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/bobbi ... stage-left

Thanks for posting that, Smudger. I havn't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I have skimmed the text. I have to go to work in a few minutes, but will listen over the weekend.

A couple of things I picked up from the text, where the guy talks about gentry's second album, the Delta Sweetie. My favourite Gentry album & full of great songs by Gentry. It is a concept album & quite experimental in its aproach.
I was never a fan of her Glen Campbell duets or Bacharach covers, which I consider rather bland. It is her own songs & the distinctive delivery that is what is unique about Gentry.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Iconic singer-songwriter JOHN PRINE is to release his first solo albums of all new material in over 13 years on 13th April.
Prine has been an established singer-songwriter since the 70's, writting such classic songs as "Hello In there" and "Sam Stone". Prine's songs were often charechterised by sharp social observation, one of his most caustic compositions being the hard hitting "Some People Ain't Human".
Kris Kristfferson was an early champion of Prine. Prines songs covered a range of topics from isolation in "Hello In There" to drug adiction ("Sam Stone").
His forthcomming album, "The Tree Of forgiveness", will be released on his own Oh Boy label.
Prine sta\rted in the Chicago folk scene, but has comented that he was americana before Americana, never easily fitting into the folk or country mainstream.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm

STELLA PARTON CALLS OUT NASHVILLE AS "A BUNCH OF SOUTHERN BAPTIST HYPOCRITES".
Dolly Parton's younger sister, country singer Stella Parton, his out this week at the Nashville establishment's failure to deal with widespread sexual harrasment and assault prevalent in the country music capital.
Other areas of the entertainment world have taken steps to deal with this issue in the wake of the #metoo movement, but the world of country music has been imune to change or even attempting any housecleaning.
Stella Parton hit out at Music City- "It's a good ol' boys town & has always been a good ol boys town"-
"They hide behind their religion", Stella added, "all of them, a bunch of southern baptist hypocrites!"
Countryt singer Austin Ricks is one of the few victims in country music willing to speak out publicly about his experiences.
I’m pissed off — both at what happened to me and at the shameful industry response to it," Austin states. "A few white roses and a song or two — while probably 100 percent well-intentioned — aren’t going to cut it."

"Everything stems from the top, and by that I mean Music Row — label heads, publishing execs, CMA and ACM directors and board members. These women and men need to step up and start speaking explicitly about this issue. Until this occurs, there’s no opening for long-term culture change," Rick adds.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 am

ROSANNE CASH RETURNS TO "UNION CHAPEL" 24th JULY
Country singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash returns on 24th July to play The Union Chapel in Islington. Based on past performances, it should be a quality gig.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:48 am

How about this for an exclusive ... William Shatner making a country album (possibly!!). Yikes!!! :shock: :lol: What makes me laugh most of all is that he's referred to as a "cultural icon"! Really? I was thinking more "ham actor who's always the same in everything" but maybe that's just me!! :lol:

https://www.newhillbilly.com/captain-ja ... s-country/
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm

kev wrote:How about this for an exclusive ... William Shatner making a country album (possibly!!). Yikes!!! :shock: :lol: What makes me laugh most of all is that he's referred to as a "cultural icon"! Really? I was thinking more "ham actor who's always the same in everything" but maybe that's just me!! :lol:

https://www.newhillbilly.com/captain-ja ... s-country/

I must admist I had to look up to see who he is. None other than Ca'n Kirk from Startrek! I used to watch Star Trek eons ago. So, now we can have Treky Country, or Sci Fi Country? Make a change from Bro Country, I suppose!

To boldly go ...Beam me up, scotty!

----
I now realise I could have just clicked on your link. Alot of BS in there! One of the Most Recognisable stars working today? Well, I didn't recognise him! And I am not sure what makes him a cultural icon?

I suppose as we had a former Eastenders star making a country album, it sort of makes sense for a former star Trek guy to do the same.
Who next? Vera Stanhope from "Vera" or that Scottish detective off "Shetland"?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Previous

Return to Worldwide Country Music