John Williamson

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

John Williamson

Postby Rita » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Listening to the CD "True Blue - The best of 25 years" during my second trip to Australia 1995, I heard about John Williamson for the first time.
As an avid fan of Australia, the lyrics of his songs fascinated me. John tells stories about Australia that inspire a yearning. John Williamson has a sense of humour, and his funny songs deal with the typical Aussie slang and witty stories of everyday life. Aussies can laugh at themselves wonderfully.
Is anyone here who knows John Williamson of Australia?
Rita

Postby Rita » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:08 pm

Congratulations, John Williamson for 7 Golden Guitar Award nominations at the Tamworth Festival January 2006!!!
Chandelier of Stars is a great album and John deserves to win a few awards. I especially keep my fingers crossed that he'll win the guitar for Heritage song, as "Skinny Dingoes" is one of my favourites!!!
Rita

Congratulations to John Williamson

Postby Rita » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Congratulations to John Williamson for winning 3 Golden Guitars at the Tamworth Country Music Festival 2006

Experts say that "Chandelier of Stars" is John Williamson's best album since "Malleeboy"(1986) Country music fans and judges of the 34. Golden Guitar Awards alike shared this point of view.

"Chandelier of Stars" won in the categories:
- Album of the Year -
- Top Selling Album of the Year-
- Bush Ballad of the Year -

Well done, John Williamson!!

To read more about the Country Music Festival 2006 in Tamworth go to the Australian Forum at http://www.countryhome.de/forum.htm

See ya, Rita
Rita

John Williamson in France

Postby Rita » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I know that Australian John Williamson has quite a few fans in the UK, so I wanna let you know that he'll be appearing at the celtique festival in France. Perhaps a good reason to hop over the channel for a show?? :)
See ya, Rita

John Williamson, Mark Atkins and Fiddlers Feast are among artists to appear at Festival Inter-Celtique, the world's largest Celtic festival, staged in Lorient, Brittany, France.

This year, FIL, as it is known, is honouring Australia for its 36th festival which will take place between July 28 and August 6.
For more information visit http://www.countrymusicbulletin.com.au/ or http://www.festival-interceltique-2006.com/
Rita

JW to release The Platinum Collection

Postby Rita » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:07 am

JW to release The Platinum Collection

In a career that has spanned more than 35 years, John Williamson has become one of Australia’s most respected songwriters and musical poets.

Over the course of his career, John has delivered songs that have changed the musical landscape of Australia and have stood the test of time.

On August 26, EMI Music Australia will release John Williamson The Platinum Collection, with more then 60 songs over three CDs covering John’s songwriting and recording career in chronological order, a release described as "a true retrospective, to date, of what has been an astonishing career that continues to go from strength to strength".

Tracks include Old Man Emu, The Breaker (with Narration by Charles "Bud" Tingwell), True Blue, Diggers Of The Anzac (This Is Gallipoli), Wrinkles, Queen In The Sport Of Kings, The Shed, You And My Guitar, Goodbye Blinky Bill (with Bullamakanka, Ami Williamson and Georgie Williamson), The Vasectomy Song, Mallee Boy, Galleries Of Pink Galahs, Raining On The Rock, Cracker Night, Cootamundra Wattle, The Budgie Song, Boomerang Café, Boogie With M’Baby, Rip Rip Woodchip, Shelter, Waratah Street, A Bushman Can’t Survive, Papa Whisky November, This Is Australia Calling, Tropical Fever, Three Sons, The Baggy Green (with Steve Waugh, Gavin Robertson and Boys Of The Bankstown District Cricket Association with Commentary by Alan McGilvray, Waltzing Matilda 2000, Salisbury Street, Raining On The Plains (with Sara Storer), Old Farts In Caravan Parks, Glory To Australia (with Pixie Jenkins and Warren H Williams) and Chandelier Of Stars.

Meanwhile, John is set to appear at the Drovers Festival, Camooweal, Queensland, on Saturday, August 26, following a series of appearances at the Festival Inter-Celtique, in France late July/early August.

After Camooweal, he will then launch his Stone & Wire Tour with special guest Warren H Williams scheduled to run over three months with around 30 shows ranging through NSW, the ACT, Western Australia and Queensland.
Rita

john williamson

Postby johnny regan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:18 pm

I met John a few times as our paths crossed on various country music gigs in Aussie. As well as being a fine songwriter he was a natural comic featuring some excellent comedy skits in his shows. With just a guitar and a sound board under his foot he can transport an audience to the deepest outback. His insight into true blue ocker characters is stunning. I loved his 'Boomerang Cafe'. I ran a cabaret show in the Broncos leagues club for three years and had the pleasure of featuring John on one of my morning 'Showtime' shows. he's a true gent. In the early days of John's career he sang with a band called 'The black crows'. true australian rock and original pop music. He was lucky to be chosen to host a country music TV show 'travelling out west' where he showed his versatility as a presenter. He has many fans and like Daniel O'Donnel many dissenters. but there is no denying his talent and stayability. With my band in Aussie, 'Regan's Rebels we were into the outlaw, Waylon and Willie era. but I still loved to perform some of John's hits on our shows. long may you reign John. uru! Johnny Regan
keep it country
johnny regan

Newbie Member

Re: john williamson

Postby Rita » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 pm

johnny regan wrote:With just a guitar and a sound board under his foot he can transport an audience to the deepest outback.

As a big fan of Australia that's just what I love about John Williamson's music. Even if you'd never been there you get an idea about the outback. One of my all time favourites is Galleries of Pink Galahs, but I like many of his songs, especially those about places I have been lucky to visit.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to go to a concert when I visited Australia, perhaps some day I will.

Thanks Johnny Regan for your post. And yes, may you long reign JW.

See ya, Rita
Rita

JOHN'S TRIBUTE SONG TO STEVE IRWIN RELEASED AT LAST!

Postby Rita » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:40 pm

JOHN'S TRIBUTE SONG TO STEVE IRWIN RELEASED AT LAST!

People across Australia and the world are urged to support new CD which will assist the work of Wildlife Warriors. Following the devastating death of Steve Irwin, John Williamson (Steve's favourite artist) was inspired to write a powerful tribute song entitled 'Wildlife Warriors: It's Time'.

The song is the leading track on a new CD of John Williamson's most important environmental songs, many of which were an inspiration to Steve Irwin. It's expected the CD will raise tens of thousands of dollars to support Wildlife Warriors. John Williamson is an ambassador for the cause.
More info, full lyrics, sound samples... http://www.malleeboy.com/html/wildlife_warriors.html
Rita

Return to Worldwide Country Music