Great North Festival anouncement

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Great North Festival anouncement

Postby johntallon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 am

Unfortunately the 2010 Great North Festival ran at a loss of over £6,000.00, mainly due to lack of support. We have spent the last couple of months trying to find ways of making savings in order to enable us to run the festival again in 2011, and have come to the conclusion that there is no way that we can run a six day all live music festival on the present level of support. We would have to increase our income on ticket sales by 20% just to break even and with the present economic situation that would not appear to be the answer.

We have no intention of diluting the quality of the festival by introducing artists with backing tracks or any other cost savings that would change the nature of what we consider the festival should be.

We have operated the festival for 20 years with both management and staff working on a voluntary basis and could not bare the thought of ending up in a debt situation, with some bills not being paid and we do not have the personal finances to subsidise any loss.
Therefore we have come to the decision not to run the festival in 2011.

We know that this will be a great disappointment to a lot of people who have supported us over the years, but I hope they will appreciate the reasons for this decision. At the present we have not ruled out running the event again in 2012 by which time we will have had more time to consider all the possibilities and ways of raising funds.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank every one who has supported the festival over the years, all the artists who have given us some great performances many of which where exclusive to the Great North Festival, and a special thanks to our wonderful voluntary staff
who have helped us to keep the festival running for 20 years. We also
wish to thank John Toulson and family for their help and support which has been a big factor in keeping the festival going at Barnard Castle.

Best wishes to all involved in country music

Margie, John, & Family
FRIENSHIP AND UNITY IN COUNTRY MUSIC
johntallon

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:03 am

Sorry to hear this but I am not suprised, although we have enjoyed the GNCWF over the years we had decided to give it a miss in 2011 the reason being in my opinion and that of our friends is that there is to much rock music and some bands seem to be there all the time such as Little Rock in one guise or another. I heard a country singer in an interview the other day say that it is the words that make a country song and they should be heard, music should be in the background and I totally agree with him. I know a lot of you on here like original music but if you can't hear the the words what is the point of having a singer in the band, and to me a band without a singer is a no go. I could go on and say what I thought about a lot of bands but it seems that you can only praise bands on here and not give your own views so as not to offend folk.
Lone Wolf

Postby wildrose » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:45 pm

So sorry to hear this very sad news John. you must be devastated after all the years of hard work. We wish you well for the future.

Lone Wolf possibly the reason Little Rock were regular to the Festival is because they have a big following not only club members but festival visitors too.

If you give people a form to fill in stating which bands they would like to see Little Rock are always a band hugely asked for. This is one of the reason certain bands are regular at clubs and festivals alike.
Wildrose Web Site (Copper Kettle & Broken Spoke Festival on this site)

Please note: site may be slow loading up
wildrose

Ultimate Member

Postby Irene-T » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Sorry to hear this but I am not suprised, although we have enjoyed the GNCWF over the years we had decided to give it a miss in 2011 the reason being in my opinion and that of our friends is that there is to much rock music and some bands seem to be there all the time such as Little Rock in one guise or another. I heard a country singer in an interview the other day say that it is the words that make a country song and they should be heard, music should be in the background and I totally agree with him. I know a lot of you on here like original music but if you can't hear the the words what is the point of having a singer in the band, and to me a band without a singer is a no go. I could go on and say what I thought about a lot of bands but it seems that you can only praise bands on here and not give your own views so as not to offend folk.

Have we been at the same Gt Nth fest over the years Dave???

I've NEVER heard any rock music played there
What I have seen is a few Country rock bands over the years. That's another corner under the vast umbrella of Country.

Little Rock with John Taylor used to play together over a decade ago in Cross Country, which is why they nip twixt the 2 formations.
Always a repeated requested band, as one of our best

I loved Gt Nth's music as it was so varied - Touches of bluegrass. Roots. Some original. A little Western Swing. A smidgen of Country rock and the bulk trad Country.

And please, give your thoughts. That's what a forum's for.
To mull over ideas and what's led you to feel this way, etc

Perhaps. Just perhaps, as you're based in Nth Yorks and unless you visit the Duchess, Band Room at Farndale, Arts Centre, Black Swan, etc within your location's travelling distance, you've got over-used to hearing what your local cmc's book.
And for the vast majority of bookings it's all solo's with backing tracks, predominently churning out thread bare material...

The sound, style, atmosphere and experience created, is totally different from solo's with b/trax to bands who let rip and have fun

And. Yes. There's some good bands and then, some not s'good also.
Same as solo's, except every note heard is actually played and for me, that's a massive plus.

Happy 2011 Dave and hurry back. Give your thoughts, so we can discuss. You're n'er too auld to have us take you onto the next music level y'know!!!

Cheers, ix
Irene-T

Supreme Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Ok Irene, Firstly I am a country boy brought up in the country and worked in the country on farms, the only music I listened to was on the radio, and it just happened that the music I liked was by the American artists, at the time I didn't even know it was classed as country music, Rock and Roll came along that was great and so was Skiffle, but as the years went bye and the Beatles, Rolling Stones etc came along I virtually stopped listening to music as I didn't think much to it, Eventually we got a TV and saw George Hammilton and Barbara Mandrell that my interest in music was re kindled probably in the 70's, but living where I did I new nothing of clubs even if I had it would have been difficult to go as we were bringing up a young family. It wasn't until the late 80's when I split from my wife and moved to a different area that I heard about country music being played in the local pubs and was asked to go along, which I did, listening to mainly solo's and duo's usually made up of a husband and wife, occasionally you got a band one of the first I remember was Malc Allan's Broken Spoke, a band was a rarity, It was not until I retired a few years ago that I started to go to festivals to see bands, at first I thought it was good but this last couple of years I have felt that most of the bands are just there to see how much noise they can make with there instruments and to hell with the vocals, and to me its the words and vocals that make country music. Folk talk of Wembley Festivals and CMTV bringing county music to the people well I never heard of them until a year or so ago, I took up line dancing 12 years ago because it was to country music and I think that if it wasn't for line dancing I wouldn't have heard as much of the modern country music that I do hear, although I don't line dance any more I do partner dancing where I can dance to the beat and not the lyrics, but the music has to make me want to dance and I am afraid the British bands just don't do that, unless they play covers of American artists.
Rock or country rock its to rocky for me
Lone Wolf

Postby Lone Wolf » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:44 pm

PS to above
Perhaps. Just perhaps, as you're based in Nth Yorks and unless you visit the Duchess, Band Room at Farndale, Arts Centre, Black Swan, etc within your location's travelling distance, you've got over-used to hearing what your local cmc's book.

There are several reasons for not attending the venues you mention, one being there's no dancing, 2,I can't sit down for long periods in theater venues, 3, I have to drive so town veues are out of the question,not going to drink orange juice all night. 4, I am a tight sod and won't pay for something which I might not enjoy.
Lone Wolf

Postby Irene-T » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:48 pm

I have a lightbulb moment and will email you over the w/end Dave!!!
Something that will move your world and mine together - perhaps???
Irene-T

Supreme Member

Return to Festivals