Nice to be back!



Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Nice to be back!

Postby kev » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Glad to see the board back up and running! I've missed the fun and games! Thanks John C, if it was you!
kev

Ultimate Member
 
Posts: 6621
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:55 am

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby livewire » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:15 am

Who does Christian Lamitschka sue for the 100's of click through Euro's he has lost the last 5 weeks.
Get ready for an avalanche of catch up posts.

Yes I wondered if the forum was going to return.
Last edited by livewire on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

User avatar
Supreme Member
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby foot-tapper » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 am

livewirer wrote:Who those Christian Lamitschka sue for the 100's of click through Euro's he has lost the last 5 weeks.
Get ready for avalanche of catch up posts.

Yes I wondered if the forum was going to return.


Shall we do a collection for poor Christian to cover his loss, or start a fund to pay him to stay away :wink:
Happiness is a voyage - not a destination
foot-tapper

Supreme Member
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:38 pm
Location: Suffolk ENGLAND

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby livewire » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:04 am

foot-tapper wrote: Shall we do a collection for poor Christian to cover his loss, or start a fund to pay him to stay away :wink:


I know he has been anxious to get back on here. He contacted me on Facebook for a progress report!
We could start up one of those crowd-funding Kickstarter or PledgeMusic thingys to offset his losses.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

User avatar
Supreme Member
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby PeterJD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:47 pm

I was getting withdrawal symptoms and didnt know who to contact if it effected me or anyone else.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

User avatar
Supreme Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby Moshe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:23 pm

Nice to be back
To be back- Nice! :D

Big group hug

:bighug:
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

User avatar
Ultimate Member
 
Posts: 10067
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 pm
Location: London

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby livewire » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:19 am

Moshe wrote:Nice to be back
To be back- Nice! :D

Big group hug


The thing is with the forum down for many weeks will it have lost readers for good or will they slowly return.
Just checked the forum has 3,892 members. A lot have left and prefer to leave short 140 letter messages on social media where there is little debate and if you do you generally end up with Facebook bans and Twitter blocks. A typical case is UKCountryRadio.com who seemingly want NO interaction with their listeners.
It is also the case that there are only about 10 who post on any sort of regular basis.
There is a lack of discussion on here.
With the site down you'd think members would have a lot to say on what has happened over the last month.
Tons of new music has released the magazines are crammed full of them.

We're told that there is a "country boom" better refered to as a "renaissance" in the UK. Yet the UK forum section has been very quiet for a long time.
Where are the artists (or have they been told to stay away) and where is the excitement about the scores of UK country acts that have sprung up in the C2C era?
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

User avatar
Supreme Member
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby PeterJD » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:25 am

You said it yourself, twitter. Their idea of interaction is posting selfies on twitter or a youtube video of their great cover of an elton john song and the like. To discuss seems alien. This isnt even an unfriendly place.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

User avatar
Supreme Member
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby lo&m » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm glad to be able to report that JohnC is alive and well and that the forum was off air because of an unforeseen occurance.

The decline of this forum is due to two things imho. One is obviously the rise of Facebook and other social media. But that isn't the full story in itself. I think the main reason why we've declined in active members is british reserve. We tend to not be good 'joiner-inners' which is strange because we like to e-socialise. We'd rather keep things one step removed if we can and social media allows this more than a forum you have to join to participate in. The number of former members here who I've spotted on FB bears this out imo.

I say it's a Brit thing because I'm also a member of a couple of (american based) guitar forums and their membership hasn't been decimated by social media the way ours has. Funnily enough, they both have closed groups on FB but they are more for announcements and adverts while actual discussion, chat and in-jokes goes on in the forums.

Or maybe I'm over-thinking it and it's because FB etc has more immediacy than a forum. I don't know. You certainly can't say Brits are stand-offish. Anyone who's been to Brit CM festivals knows that isn't true. We do love to drink and talk. And yet this forum is a shadow of it's former self. Beats me.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7412
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Desolation Row

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby livewire » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 am

lo&m wrote:I'm glad to be able to report that JohnC is alive and well and that the forum was off air because of an unforeseen occurance.

The decline of this forum is due to two things imho. One is obviously the rise of Facebook and other social media. But that isn't the full story in itself. I think the main reason why we've declined in active members is british reserve. We tend to not be good 'joiner-inners' which is strange because we like to e-socialise.


Appreciate JohnC's work in keeping the forum afloat.
Apart this forum I've also noticed a lack of response in the country music magazine's from readers feedback.
Your right in that people divert their time to Facebook and Twitter following feeds of artists they like and groups they have joined.
The most active Facebook Page I've seen has been C2C. I think quite a lot of the C2C crowd follow the latest trends and like with advertising (that drives social media) take an interest in artists that the labels, the industry and the UK promoters force feed them with. I think right now were meant to jumping for joy over acts 1000 Horses and Old Dominion.

Where is the excitement about new singles and albums. The magazines are crammed full of them.
Going back to Facebook looking at the feedback that UK radio stations receive and the UK magazines I think I'd be concerned at the apathy in response to posts.
One radio presenter asks his guests every time the importance of social media. Those artists ( 1000s upon 1000s of them) are just conversing with their own audience and a lot are merely passive followers not pro-active fans. You only have to look at the small % of their followers who crowd fund their abums or actually buy them when they come out. That's why for UK artists the majority can only last 4 to 5 days on the UK Country ITunes chart and then vanish from the top 200 never to be seen again. Their brand new material can't even compete with 20 year old Shania albums and a load of back issue stuff.
Those artists rely on social media too much and don't think about the rest of the world or people who don't have online access or bother with social sites.

Before the days of internet music sold far greater numbers.
I can remember Fridays spent in the late 60s and into the 70s when friends would come round armed with the latest LPs, then cassettes and the excitement of hearing the latest developments on HI FI equipment.
I've seen it up to the early 2000s when fans would show up at gigs when you thought you might be the only one going. The buzz was all world of mouth.

Friends and relations I find don't have anywhere near the level of interest in music that they once have.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

User avatar
Supreme Member
 
Posts: 3633
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Nice to be back!

Postby lo&m » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:49 am

livewirer wrote:Apart this forum I've also noticed a lack of response in the country music magazine's from readers feedback.
Your right in that people divert their time to Facebook and Twitter following feeds of artists they like and groups they have joined.
The most active Facebook Page I've seen has been C2C. I think quite a lot of the C2C crowd follow the latest trends and like with advertising (that drives social media) take an interest in artists that the labels, the industry and the UK promoters force feed them with. I think right now were meant to jumping for joy over acts 1000 Horses and Old Dominion. Where is the excitement about new singles and albums. The magazines are crammed full of them.


The music industry has always aggressively marketed it's own acts but that hasn't necessarily been a bad thing. How many artists would never have been heard of without it? Would country music have even taken off in UK at all without industry backing? The industry as a whole took a huge hit with the advent of the internet (or to be precise, the public access to it). For the first time, artists were able to market themselves to their audience. And as the industry drastically shrank under the pressure, they pretty much had to or give up and go home. It has led to a very fractured state of affairs though as you describe.
livewirer wrote:Before the days of internet music sold far greater numbers. I can remember Fridays spent in the late 60s and into the 70s when friends would come round armed with the latest LPs, then cassettes and the excitement of hearing the latest developments on HI FI equipment. I've seen it up to the early 2000s when fans would show up at gigs when you thought you might be the only one going. The buzz was all world of mouth. Friends and relations I find don't have anywhere near the level of interest in music that they once have.

Who foresaw this coming? No one that I know. But with the music world splintering off into bits and with the charts including streams and downloads, it has made has made them irrelevant. Once they were a shared experience; everyone hung on the weekly announcement. Not now though. Who knows or cares what is this weeks No.1? I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is an answer. All I know is that how I access music has changed. Half of it is through the internet, this forum, FB etc. Half of it is through live music at local level.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 7412
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Desolation Row


Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests