Foldback Monitor Lead from the Mixer

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Foldback Monitor Lead from the Mixer

Postby Richardson-County » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi y'all an' can't see a specified tech subject forum so will put my question on this one.

Can anyone suggest the best outlet feed to a powered foldback speaker from my mixer ??

Tks 'n regards

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Dixie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Brian,

Try using the Aux1 or Aux2 output jacks at the top of the mixer. You can then 'mix' the signal going to the Monitor using the Aux volume pots on each channel strip.

That's how we do it.
Neil
Dixie

Postby Richardson-County » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Tks Neil an' hope you doing OK. I will give it a go tonight. Got any views on 'In Ear Monitor' systems ??

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi Brian,

Certainly have. Get some earbud headphones (like for an MP3 player) and stick 'em in the Phones out of your desk. Use a long lead for'em. hopefully, the Phones socket will have some sort of amp that will be enough to drive the phones.

PS - If you go this route, don't try stage-diving :lol:
Neil
Dixie

Postby Twang Man » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Dixie wrote:PS - If you go this route, don't try stage-diving :lol:

darn, thats me and papa out then.
Turn up the TWANG!
Twang Man

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:11 pm

That'd be a sight - you and Papa sharing an in-ear monitor :lol:
Neil
Dixie

Postby Richardson-County » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Dixie wrote:Hi Brian,

Certainly have. Get some earbud headphones (like for an MP3 player) and stick 'em in the Phones out of your desk. Use a long lead for'em. hopefully, the Phones socket will have some sort of amp that will be enough to drive the phones.

PS - If you go this route, don't try stage-diving :lol:

Yep Neil an' have tried that route - got a £5.00 bog standard pair of phones from Tesco and used a long lead and during the gig I was very aware of the phone lead trailing down the back of me but seeing the lead was 10ft or so long it allowed me to walk about a bit. I don't like standing still or stillish all through a set although I do not wander off through the audiance. The phones worked very well I thought especially if you have long hair and you can't see the buds in your ears !!

However seeing that I move about a bit I was thinking that some In Ear systems are radio and that is what I am researching.

I use a radio guitar system for my Martin and that works exceptionally well. I think PA is great when set up - its when you connect everything up with trailing leads that make the stage a bit of a minefield !!

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Aha - for that you need the Musos friend - GAFFA TAPE !!!

You can hold the world together with it.
Neil
Dixie

Just noticed the mixer output query...

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Do you have a 'momo sum' output??

Go into the >alt.audio.pro.live-sound< newsgroup

Good guys in there (mostly!)

larry
Larry

Postby Richardson-County » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:23 am

Hi Larry an' please allow for my ignorance but what is a 'momo sum' output ??

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Larry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Bit like MONO Sum - but spelt wrongly - whoops... did you try the newsgroup?
Larry

Postby Richardson-County » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Still none the wiser so I best try the newsgroup - Be back later with my findings.

tks vm

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Dixie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi Brian,

The "Mono Sum" output takes the signals that go to the two Main ouputs and adds them together in a mono signal. so where you have a Main L and Main R output going to the Power Amp or Front of House Speakers, teh Mono Sum output takes BOTH L and R signals and sticks them out the one hole in Mono. It menas you get the same sound through the Foldback as the audience are getting - depending on the situation this may or may not be what you want. for example in a ful band situation each band member may want a different 'mix' in their monitor so a Mono Sum solution wouldn't work. But for your situaiton it might work very well.

Just had a quick look at the Behringer website and I don't think you've got a Mono Sum on your desk, but the Phones output should do the same thing.
Neil
Dixie

Postby Richardson-County » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 am

Tks Dixie an' hi - Supreme member eh ??

On the back of my Behringer I have two main outputs L/R for xlr conns and L/R for 1/4" jacks and another L/R for 1/4" jacks marked Alt Output R3 and R4 which I can match up on the ALT slide on the mixer ? (3rd slide from the right in the pic) - so what happens next ??

Heres another question from the Bleeding Obvious to the more experienced/knowledgeable than me - Can you use a power mixer to drive 2 x Mackie SRM 450 powered speakers as my Behringer is getting on a bit and if/when I upgrade I might have a look at powered mixers with effects built in etc ??

rgds

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Dixie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Brian,

The alt3-4 sdlider controls the output to the AltR3 and R4 sockets. On each channel there is a small button that is called Alt 3-4. If you press that in, then the signal from that channel is sent to the AltR3 and R4 outputs and not to the Main outputs. However, you can mix the Maina nd Alt 3-4 outputs together by pressing the in teh button teh righ of the desk called Mix Alt3-4 to Main (or something like that !!). In this setup you will:

Have the same 'mix' out front as you have in your powered monitor (although you will need two inputs in your monitor speaker - or an adaptor that takes teh two outputs into a single jack)

Be able to control the relative level (volume) of the main mix and monitors separately using the sliders on the right of the desk.

BUT.... probably the best way to do this for your setup is...

to use the Aux Send channel. There are two on your board. Connect your powered monitor to the Aux 1 socket at the top of the board and then use the Aux1 level control on each channel to set the mix. There is an overall Aux volume rotary pot on the board that you can use to adjust the level into the monitors. We used to work teh desk like this in SC and ran 5 monitors with two separate mixes out of it (in addition to the front of house mix)

....and people think all you need to do to be a muso is spend several years learning to play an instrument and be able to sing in tune :lol:

I wouldn't recommend hooking up a powered desk to powere speakers like the SR450s. You need an unpowered desk with effects on it - Behringer do these to. In Settlers Creek we used one of these

But at home I use one of these for recording and it would be fine for a solo gig with Powered speakers.

Neil
Dixie

Next

Return to Technical discussions