DVD & Vocal Recording

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

DVD & Vocal Recording

Postby Richardson-County » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi guys an' can anybody help/point me in the right direction.

I want to make my own DVD's an' need a bit of help on how to do it. At the minute I have made a couple of of DVD's by just using a live PA set up and just pointed the Cam and got on with it.

(have taken the link down as we now on the next phase of the project which is getting the audio up and running first and then sync the DVD)

This link takes you to the audio

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

This result was a first take and I wish to improve on the all round quality of producing a DVD. I am aware of the horrendous file sizes involved and have worked out that converting the files into MP3 reduces the file sizes to something more easy on disc space.

To achieve this I have the following kit spec.

1 x HD Video Camera inc all the software that goes with it !
1 x Tascam 8 track Digital Portastudio
1 x Windows XP Media with Realtec HD audio manager
1 x Mixcraft Recording Studio software

So, given the above do I :

Need any further significant piece of kit/software ?

and

How do I combine the video and audio given that I want to use the camcorder to record the visual and the Tascam to record the audio.

I believe that there is a procedure called "Synch" to do this but have not got a clue how to do it. I can see no visable connection(s) port between the Cam and the Tascam but plenty of ports to connect the Tascam to the PC and Mixer etc.

rgds

Brian

PS - If all else fails I could get a book !!
Last edited by Richardson-County on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richardson-County

Postby Thunderbird » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi there,
Recording decent audio with video is a mixture of ability, science, luck and magic.

Part of the problem is the very variable quality of video camera audio.

The Smokey Mountain Boys have video recorded with different cameras at different venues on the video page of their website. http://www.thenewsmokeymountainboys.moonfruit.com

The quality is very variable.

Some of the best audio comes off a cheap (£100) digital camera with a 1 minute max recording time.

I suspect that recording the video on one machine and the audio on another will never give a totally synchronised product. The sync feature on tape machines is for a totally different purpose.

Watching your video shows a common problem. You have to get close to the mic and so it covers your mouth.

The video makers I have spoken to suggest the following.

Best option

Firstly record the entire audio including your vocals onto your preferred media. Add any effects you want. That gives you the very best audio quality.

Then set up whatever equipment you need in a setting that looks good and has good lighting. Put a line from your player into the audio input of your camera and mime to the pre recorded audio. This way you stand a long way back off the mic. It looks better on video

The alternative is

Set up as though playing live and get a sound you are happy with.

Use a second mixer and take lines from your PA guitar amp etc into it. Take the output of the mixer into the audio in of the camera. Adjust this mix on this mixer until you have a video sound you are happy with.

Record your video.

Hope this helps
Thunderbird

Postby Richardson-County » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm

Tks T Bird for coming back and apols for not responding earlier. I have taken your comments onboard and have started now to configure the studio process for vocal recording first and then do the visual recording which I feel will be the easier to acheive. This is the recording setup using Mixcraft and the Tascam primarily.

[img][img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u204/OrsonCarte/RCtyRecordingStudiosetup.jpg[/img][/img]

Just got to connect the remaining cables up and get on with it. Would be grateful for any further comments and advice from others who have got 'Home recording' sorted and in the meantime will play around with it.

Tks an' regards

Brian
Richardson-County

Postby Richardson-County » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Guys !! - Now then, me, Bob Oakley and Double Barrell performed entertainment at an afternoon/evening gig which was organised by Bob and his (and mine) good friend Pete, Landlord of the The Bridge Inn Ikleston, Derbyshire.

It turned out a cracking success and additionally my son in law, David took charge of my HDD 5.1 surround sound camcorder and captured 2 1/2hrs of data which thus far has taken me all week to get to editing one of my songs and I have stuck the link on for all to see and hopefully contructively comment on so that I can pick up on which in turn will help me with the DVD project.

We aim to produce a 20 min DVD which Pete and Bob will be able to offer to the local community who attended with proceeds going to a local charity called Quakers.

'ave a look !!

rgds

Brian

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... f0a1a2a019
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Brian, sorry i'm a bit late to the party and am a dyed in the wool Mac user (since '87) so am not 'up to speed' with XP but couldn't you use the 'MovieMaker' app that ships with XP ?
Download your video to MovieMaker and then import your seperate audio from the Tascam and edit the vision to fit the audio then export both to DVD ?
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby scott.dj » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 pm

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda20.html

I use that, in my humble opinion the best out there - go have a read!

I've just seen this post was first here in 2008!

and please invest in a tripod,only cheap and will make your video look a whole lot better
scott.dj

Return to Technical discussions