Line 6 POD XL Live & Danelctro Screeming Reel

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Postby Dixie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Looks a cool piece of kit. Like Dunc I used Line6 Flextone stuff for a few years so am interested to find out what this new box of electronic wizadry sounds like.

First thoughts John ?
Neil
Dixie

Postby John Stannard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Will try to post tomorrow, he should be here in an hour or so.
From what I've seen on t'internet the M13 is BIG size wise but like you I have had a lot of luck with Line6, I have my old MkII Boogie and a new Fender Supersonic for live work but for 99% of the recording I have done I use a PodII and no-one outside the studio can tell (unless I tell them).
It's a doddle to set up and the sounds are just there from the 'get go' and if you are watching the clock that means it's a 'money saver' which everyone likes !! :wink:

I reckon if they have modeled effects as well as they model amps it might be a winner, and this is coming from a bloke who's set up is:
Tele+cable+amp.
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Looks like there's a lot on that John. I've never had problems with my Line 6 (touches wood). The one thing Line 6 do is make their gear sturdy.

I'd be interested to know what the V-Tron effect sounds like. Its supposed to be like the old voice box. I couldnt see any Octive type effects though.

Good luck and give us as report after your test drive :D
Dunc
Keep it Live, Keep it Country,

https://www.facebook.com/creekies
GuitarDunc

Postby John Stannard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 am

OK, just a quickie, I don't do this for a living !
It IS mightyily impressive sound wise !!!, very, very, very, very good emulations of some top class gear, all the different types of echo and delay were just mind blowing from CopyCat to Echoplex to Roland space echo to various digital pedals , they are all there.
Other effects are equally as good and varied, an MXR compressor, MXR phaser, various tremelo's , chorus' and on, and on, and on.
We took about 3 hours playing about but really you can get it working straight out of the box with some deadly pre-sets.
The Reverbs in this thing are very nearly worth the cost of the unit alone, it wasn't that long ago when a Lexicon would have been 5 times the price and still not do what this does.
The Vocoder stuff is very good, there are several 'synth' type sounds in this thing that used with the looper function are great fun.
There are one or two Octave dividers but they came on the distortion patches so you could dial out the fuzz and just use the octave I guess.
Didn't get a chance to record with it, I have a ProTools set up here and was interested to see how it performed as a pre-amp, I'm betting it does well.
On the downside:
Its pricey (£360ish) and certainly for me a bit big and bulky (there is a smaller version M9).
It looks tough but I wonder how tough it really is, you'll need a good strong case and keep it away from the drummers feet or a moron with a drink in his hand !
The settings autosave themselves which seems like a great idea, you twiddle a knob and it remembers it but sometimes it's nice to go back and start again, There is a way round this so maybe I shouldn't gripe.
Some of the distortion tones are a bit 'bees in a jar' sounding but then I suppose the original pedals were the same.

Would I want one ? .... mmmmmmmmmm, I'd like one but I could live without it, on rare occasions I'll take a Demeter Tremulator and/or Vox TimeMachine out to a gig though much prefer to just plug 'n' go so this would be 100% 'OTT' for me but I would enjoy playing with it, would like to record with it and I'm sure if you are the kind of player looking for loads of different tones this would be a terrific gadget to get.
I reckon we'll see a few of these around or maybe the cheaper M9.

I commend it to the House !!
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Dixie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:57 am

John,

Thanks for that - it sounds the dogs danglies ! I don't think I need one, or can justify the price - but in another 6 months it'll be worth watching EBay for a new toy :lol:
Neil
Dixie

Postby John Stannard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 am

Yup, I reckon a lottery win might just do it for me !! :lol:
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Richardson-County » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi John an y'all an' yes I have sorted my Line6 X3 Pro out to about as far as I can get with it at the minute. Its a long process for me trying to get to grips with it but quite enjoyable once you get the sound set ups that you are comfortable with. A lot of folks on the Island seem to have gorn for the Boss GT10 though. I am still routing direct thru the active Mackies but have started to try backline but for me thats another big chunk of kit to carry about. A good engineer would be nice. Any help offered on this topic is of course greatly appreciated and I would like to think that others like myself, looking at tips an tricks from the more knowledgeble folks learn from their expertise. I do however, given my limited technique, sometimes think that taking the X3 out on the road is or could be construed as a little pretentious but what the heck. Do it while you can as when this journey comes to a big halt then perhaps folks may look back and think "I should have given it a bit more while I had the time".

Anyways keep the feeds coming back - they are most welcome.

rgds

Brian - on his little Island.
Richardson-County

Postby John Stannard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Richardson-County wrote: I do however, given my limited technique, sometimes think that taking the X3 out on the road is or could be construed as a little pretentious but what the heck.
No, no, no, no !, I would use anything that did the job for me, if you are getting results from the X3 then go ahead and use it, there are too many so called 'experts' ready to tell you what you should and shouldn't be using.
In my opinion the X3 wee wee's all over the Boss stuff anyway. :wink:
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Previous

Return to Technical discussions