Brennan JB7

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Brennan JB7

Postby The Hitman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Anybody have experience of this piece of kit - it's being advertised heavily in the national press at the moment. It's a combined CD player, amp and (up to) 500G hard drive, so you can rip all your CDs onto it, or load files from a computer or iPod.

It's quite pricey, but as a Boy's Toy it looks pretty good. Just wondered if anyone uses these music storage boxes and if they're any use.
The Hitman

Postby Smudger » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:49 pm

I haven't got one, but I've been looking at the Brennan, along with the competition, for a possible future purchase. The only thing I don't like is the lack of internet radio - the Sony Giga Juke has this though, as has the Philips Streamium. I would also welcome comments from owners of any of these machines.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby John Stannard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 am

They do look interesting don't they ?
I'm wondering ....... would you be better of with an iPod plugged into a docking station like so ...

At least you can take the iPod with you and you already have the computer to rip the tracks.

Mind you, if we're talking toys then 'yes', go get one and tell us about it ! :wink:
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby The Hitman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 pm

To me the advantages over an iPod are the CD playback, the ability to rip CDs straight in without having to use a Mac or PC, and the internal amp (if it's any good). I also find iPods a bit fiddly to use, and the Brennan seems to have a big dopey display suitable for a big dopey bass player.

But I need to find out a bit more detail, like:
- can you feed output through an external amp if the unit's own 60W lump isn't up to the job?
- can you export to an external mp3 source?
- are there units on the market which will burn CDs as well as rip them (apart from PCs)?
- does anyone really need a 500G hard disk?(although Brennan does 160 and 320G versions - mind you with "only" 160G you might as well buy an iPod Classic.
- if I'm going down the hard disk storage route would it be more sensible to go for one of the big f***-off 2000G devices, which would allow me to store movies and stuff as well - albeit at a higher price.

The Brennan is in that price range (around £400-500) where it's just that bit too expensive to be an impulse buy.

(I'm sure that Mr. Stannard would agree that guitars can be an impulse buy right up to around two grand, but that's different... :D)
The Hitman

Postby John Stannard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Good points, the only downside of PC's and iPods is the 'fidliness' factor, I take it you are thinking of stage use ?, dim lights, a beer ..... it all makes one big control that much more appealing.
For home use I can stream my iPod around the house (but rarely if ever do) the more I think about it the Brennan does seem a good solution but yeah, at that price I guess its competing with the Bose players and the like.
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby foot-tapper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Must admit I got a Cambridge Audio Azur 640H CD/Music Server about 3 years ago as an impulse buy.
It also has Internet Radio capability but I rarely us it as other than a CD Player.
Have onlyever ripped two CD's onto it.
When I want a more varied playlist ( which almost all the time) I plug the Ipod into a docking station. If buying now I would have just got a CD player and use Ipod as I do now.
Happiness is a voyage - not a destination
foot-tapper

Supreme Member

Postby The Hitman » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

I've had a look at the 640H and it looks better than the Brennan, but as far as I can see it's not on sale any more. I suppose they may crop up on eBay every now and then.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon the 21st century solution is to go for a music streaming approach. It goes against all my instincts to not have a "CD collection" any more, even on a hard drive, but it seems to make sense. I suppose it depends on how comprehensive the databases are when it comes to "minority appeal" artists.

It's all getting too modern out there. Don't like it. :?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Hitman

Postby John Stannard » Sat May 29, 2010 8:33 am

The Hitman wrote:The more I think about it, the more I reckon the 21st century solution is to go for a music streaming approach. It goes against all my instincts to not have a "CD collection" any more, even on a hard drive, but it seems to make sense. I suppose it depends on how comprehensive the databases are when it comes to "minority appeal" artists.

It's all getting too modern out there. Don't like it. :?

I think you're right, like everything else today the appropriate phrase seems to be 'On demand' ..... stream it, download it, listen then delete it and repeat if necessary, I have no way of playing vinyl anymore but I couldn't get rid of my albums.
Progress ?, thats another thread.
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby outback » Mon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm

just bought the SONY NASSC500P 160gb hard drive,i hope its what i want it for,transfering all my cds on to it,hopefully i will have 10 empty cabinets free,got it from pc world this morning,they are half price £399.99p,seemed a bargain at the time,i hope so.
outback

Return to Technical discussions