Dean Acoustic Fretless Bass Guitar

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Dean Acoustic Fretless Bass Guitar

Postby The Hitman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Bought this a while back as a (kind of) alternative to playing double bass, which I'm still crap at. Considering it only cost a couple of hundred quid (which means somebody made it in a factory in China for a tenner) it's not bad.

Reasonable neck, nice acoustic sound and adequate plugged in noise. I gave it a first live outing last week at Honky Tonkin' Sunday at the Golden Lion and it did the job fine. (Any problems listeners may have experienced were my fault...)

A techy mate has offered to put better EQ in it, and I reckon that'll turn it into a nice piece of kit. :)
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Hitman

Postby tim73 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:13 pm

What band do you play with Hitman? I know Honky Tonkin' Sunday at the Golden Lion pretty well & played it twice with my last band. It's my favourite London venue along with What's Cookin' at Leytonstone
Born in the 70s & in my mind, still living there now!
tim73

Postby Newthunderbird » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:25 pm

I've just looked at The Dean and it does seem to be very nice. I agree with the comment about the eq.

I had a Tenson which had really nice eq. I did find a problem with large bodied electric bass guitrs. They tend to feed back rather easily.
Newthunderbird

Postby The Hitman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:43 am

What band do you play with Hitman?

I don't have a regular country gig at the moment, although I'm still playing with my acoustic covers outfit doing everything from Tom Petty to REM. On Sunday I was, along with Gareth and Harley Dave, backing Rosie Horne (and very fine she was too), opening for Hank Wangford.

I did find a problem with large bodied electric bass guitars. They tend to feed back rather easily.

I agree - need to keep the gain right down and the EQ flat - seemed ok on Sunday, but then the overall volume levels were pretty low.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
The Hitman

Postby tim73 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Harley Dave is supposed to be an excellent player. He's done sound for me twice but I've never heard him play. My old band played with Rosie out Bath / Bristol way last year. She was very pleasant but did make me / us laugh by offering advice like "don't pander to the line dancers". We were probably the worst example of any band and didn't pander to anyone! We'd also all been playing in bands since before she was born but it was sweet of her to take an interest.
Born in the 70s & in my mind, still living there now!
tim73

Postby The Hitman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 pm

HD is a fine player and a damn fine human being. And you're right, Rosie is sweet. And very short... :D
The Hitman

Return to Technical discussions