Muso's section

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Muso's section

Postby GuitarDunc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:44 pm

As the guitar string converstion has hi-jacked another thread in the Saloon I thought I'd create this topic so we can discuss these in here. 8)

JayStapley wrote:Aaaaah, Picato strings! They came in a round plastic box (for which there were many uses) and I used to boil them, unaware in my youth of the mass-per-unit-length implications of removing the rusted bits. I also once rubbed butter on a set in an attempt to mitigate the barbed-wire feeling you mentioned.

I was always under the impression that boiling new strings took the stretch out of them so there was no need for them to 'settle in' once you put them on.

Hi Mark, what guage Elixir's do you use? I've never snapped one before. Are you using acoustic or electric strings
Dunc
Keep it Live, Keep it Country,

https://www.facebook.com/creekies
GuitarDunc

offer on elixirs

Postby markw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:45 pm

hey Dunc
You might want to check out www.stringsdirect.co.uk
they have an offer on Elixirs
markw

Postby tim73 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:51 pm

I'd never boil strings - I'm not a student anymore!! Playing bass I like 'em dirty anyway 8)

Stringsdirect are a great company so plus 1 on that one
Born in the 70s & in my mind, still living there now!
tim73

Postby John Stannard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Another +1 for Strings Direct, fast and efficient and not pricey !!
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:35 pm

I've never heard of anyone boiling strings before. :roll: Yet I sense you're serious about it ? What's the story on this ?

I have heard, however, of people dropping harmonicas into pints of beer under the (surely mistaken ?) impression that it would improve the tone.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby markw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

there was a theory - maybe a myth amongst skint musicians - which basically covers every musician at some time or another - that boiling old strings would magically rejuvenate them, removing rust, skin, sweat, grease and all general unpleasantness thus rendering them shiny, twangy and new.
It of course utter bollocks! But I don't know ONE musician who hasn't tried it at sometime. Mind you, I also have yet to meet a musician who hasn't tried to smoke the stringy bit from inside a banana peel!
we are a resourceful lot!
markw

Postby John Stannard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Soaking your harp softens the reeds slightly and is 'best practise' for a lot of players, whether the 'right' way is beer, vodka, rum or water might be open to debate though.
Boiling strings is supposed to clean the wound strings and get all the accumulated crud out of the windings, strings are relatively pricey and was seen as a way of extending their life (by folk like 'Tight cheeks' Stapely).
Does it work ?, dunno but he (Jay) is the richest man in North London !!
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby JayStapley » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Lol @ John ( my predictive text just tried to make that "plop @ John" which I think I actually prefer.) I still remember my shock when I had just moved to London and lived in a house with Stuart Cowell (anyone remember him? He was Val Doonican's guitarist, which meant the neighbours thought he must be a nice boy and completely ignored the clouds of clas c controlled smoke issuing from the windows) and watched change his strings. He actually CUT the old ones off and they went in the bin: I used to keep the old ones as spares. Such extravagance!
Bless him, he had let out so many rooms in the house he had to sleep on the floor when he was at home!
www.jaystapley.co.uk
www.reverbnation.com/jaystapley
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"
JayStapley

Postby Dave Nutt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Jay certainly is rich John, mainly because of the pints he owes me.
Dave.
why do we bother?
Dave Nutt

Postby John Stannard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Yep, its the 'direct to bin' method for me too, none of this ' namby pamby' 'one at a time' mullarkey either, just roar them off and get the new ones on quick !! (before the neck caves in).
Here is a photo of Mr Nutt in his younger days tying yet another G# for some rattling, clanking ZB or whatever ..........

BTW Stapely, have you still got those old Russian compressors ?
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Dave Nutt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Now! if we are going to start being rude to each other and posting pics, Jay had better look out. :wink:
why do we bother?
Dave Nutt

Postby JayStapley » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 pm

K Dave, money mouth your put is where (rearrange into well known English phrase or sentence.) I don't have any pics from that time, though I do remember Garry spending a fortune on some band pics and turning up at a club once only to be asked "so where's the girl singer in the photo?" (I had long hair.)
www.jaystapley.co.uk
JayStapley

Postby JayStapley » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Russian compressors, John? Blimey, what the he'll were they?
www.jaystapley.co.uk
JayStapley

Postby John Stannard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 pm

I remember them in the studio, were they from Jimmy Kennedy maybe ?, if you are throwing them away, well, ...... i'm just saying !
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby Dave Nutt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Jay, It may have the pic your on about.
Re-long hair- Ill save us both the embarrassment, we look a bit like 'girls aloud,' not sure which one is Cheryl, we would all be in with a chance.
I blame it on The Beatles.

John, I got in touch with Newtone Strings, the guy was really helpfull, he does standard sets of E9th for steel but was more than prepered to custom build me some sets if I wanted anything special, cant be bad.
why do we bother?
Dave Nutt

Next

Return to Technical discussions