Muso's section

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Postby JayStapley » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 am

Still can't place the Russian compressors/ may have borrowed a pair of 1176s from my mate who collects vintage studio gear though.
I Have a TLA Fatman valve comp in my rack: lovely little box. A bit noisy but crunches nicely when pushed hard. (Count the possible innuendos in that paragraph and hit me with gags, guys...)
www.jaystapley.co.uk
www.reverbnation.com/jaystapley
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"
JayStapley

Postby John Stannard » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:03 pm

There is always the vauge notion that I might have got it wrong !! but being a guitarist yourself you'll realise thats not often !
Maybe i'm thinking 'Soviet' when I should be thinking 'Sovtek' ?
As I remember it ..... if you sat at the board they were in front of you at about 11O'Clock (tally ho etc.) and the Mac monitor was about 2 O'Clock ... does it matter ? prolly not but I hate it when i'm made to feel old and forgetful ..... mmmmm ...... wha ?

Nurse !

I have a frog that 'crunches nicely'

*Obscure Python*
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:40 pm

John Stannard wrote:Soaking your harp softens the reeds slightly and is 'best practise' for a lot of players

Wont they warp when they dry out ?
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby John Stannard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 am

I wouldn't think so, they are clamped in tight, the sax player I work with usually soaks his before playing too.
John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby JayStapley » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am

John, not me. We worked on ADATs for Bill's Cd. ADAT... Best bang-per-buck dig recorder pre-computers: I had 3 and the remote tablet.
www.jaystapley.co.uk
JayStapley

Postby John Stannard » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 am

They were right about old age then .............. dribble ... drool .... gibber ....

John Stannard

Supreme Member

Postby David-N-87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Should I panic if the back of my bridge is raised?
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. - Matthew 5:14
And tellin' folks that Jesus is the answer could rub 'em wrong....but this is Country music, and we do!
www.youtube.com/davidn87
David-N-87

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm

David-N-87 wrote:Should I panic if the back of my bridge is raised?

If its the Bridge of your acoustic then yes I'd panic. Any chance you can take a picture of the bridge and post it on here?
Dunc
Keep it Live, Keep it Country,

https://www.facebook.com/creekies
GuitarDunc

Postby David-N-87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 pm

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. - Matthew 5:14
And tellin' folks that Jesus is the answer could rub 'em wrong....but this is Country music, and we do!
www.youtube.com/davidn87
David-N-87

Supreme Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm

That's a tremolo bridge. It's supposed to move so that shouldn't be a problem unless you're having tuning problems with it.

If you want it to be flatter then behind the guitar will be a big plate. If you take that off you'll see some springs connected to the underneath of the bridge and held in place with screws. If you can either add extra springs or tighten up the screws that will put more tension on the bridge and lower it again.

Don't foget to check the string action and intonation when you've finished and reset them. There's probably loads of stuff on the Internet ( and folk on this forum ) that explains this better than me.

Alternatively, if it's not causing you a problem just leave it as it is.
Neil
Dixie

Postby GuitarDunc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Dixie wrote:That's a tremolo bridge. It's supposed to move so that shouldn't be a problem unless you're having tuning problems with it.

If you want it to be flatter then behind the guitar will be a big plate. If you take that off you'll see some springs connected to the underneath of the bridge and held in place with screws. If you can either add extra springs or tighten up the screws that will put more tension on the bridge and lower it again.

Don't foget to check the string action and intonation when you've finished and reset them. There's probably loads of stuff on the Internet ( and folk on this forum ) that explains this better than me.

Alternatively, if it's not causing you a problem just leave it as it is.

I was just going to respond with the same. Nearly all tremolo bridges are like that. Nothing to worry about.
Dunc
Keep it Live, Keep it Country,

https://www.facebook.com/creekies
GuitarDunc

Postby David-N-87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Ta much.
www.youtube.com/davidn87
David-N-87

Supreme Member

Postby The Saint » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 pm

David-N-87 wrote:Image

It'd sound better with electric strings though.

With the tremolo bridge, the pull of your strings is always balanced against the opposing pull of the rear springs, so the bridge "floats". Adjusting the position of the springs affects the angle at which the bridge sits. Some people prefer to set theirs flat to the body, but that then only allows notes to be vibratoed downwards.

The bridge is supposed to pivot on the six screws that go into the body - these must not be tight, as you can crack the wood if they are.
The Saint

Postby JayStapley » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 am

David, I'm also slightly concerned about the finish on that guitar: I could see no evidence of stains left by beer, whisky, blood, sweat, tears or an inappropriate reaction to a Brad Paisley solo. Guitars need feeding with all the above.
There are also no chips, scratches, knocks or blemishes of any kind on the surface. My suggested remedy is that you use the guitar to beat off some drunken punters, as a crutch to assist your post-gig alcohol-fuelled perambulatory attempts, as a weapon to hurl at your girlfriend, and do a couple of gigs where the stage has pillars in the middle (remember the old Dingwalls?)
Proper guitar maintainence programmer auch as I have outlined will prolong the life and improve the sound of your instrument immeasurably.
www.jaystapley.co.uk
JayStapley

Postby The Saint » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:18 am

JayStapley wrote:David, I'm also slightly concerned about the finish on that guitar: I could see no evidence of stains left by beer, whisky, blood, sweat, tears or an inappropriate reaction to a Brad Paisley solo. Guitars need feeding with all the above.
There are also no chips, scratches, knocks or blemishes of any kind on the surface. My suggested remedy is that you use the guitar to beat off some drunken punters, as a crutch to assist your post-gig alcohol-fuelled perambulatory attempts, as a weapon to hurl at your girlfriend, and do a couple of gigs where the stage has pillars in the middle (remember the old Dingwalls?)
Proper guitar maintainence programmer auch as I have outlined will prolong the life and improve the sound of your instrument immeasurably.

Good points Jay. May I add: spit (from singing while playing) and cigarette burns to the headstock.
The Saint

PreviousNext

Return to Technical discussions