Tonight in London: Hootenanny and my lap steel debut

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Tonight in London: Hootenanny and my lap steel debut

Postby JayStapley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Tonight is my regular monthly Hootenanny at The Bull & Gate, Kentish Town, London. There are two reasons I'm posting this here: firstly there is a young man coming along to sing "Lovesick Blues" by Hank Williams. The torch is indeed being passed down, and as I've mentioned before in this forum there is a growing interest in Country Music (only you can't use the "C" word, you have to call it "Americana") out there beyond the confines of this site.
I did a gig last night supporting The Vagaband: an amazing, rollicking roisterous CountrySwingFolkJazz band: go and see them. No CMC would ever book them but they are the future of Country in the UK.

The second reason I'm posting this here is that I've decided to use this performance of the Hank song to make my public debut on lap steel: I've used it on recordings I've produced for other artists but in ambient/rock contexts. Tonight I'm playing it "straight" so to speak. I expect mirth and mockery at my fumblings, but that's fine. Come on down if you're in North London.
www.jaystapley.co.uk
www.reverbnation.com/jaystapley
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"
JayStapley

Re: Tonight in London: Hootenanny and my lap steel debut

Postby lo&m » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm

If I was in that London, I would. Sounds like a fun night. I know what you mean about not calling country, country. There's a couple of teenage lads come to our local jam nights who are Johnny Cash fans but don't care much for country music. They only know about JC since the Walk The Line film. But they're nice kids and little by little, we're educating them.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby JayStapley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Lol Lo&m; u sure they're not educating you? I'm constantly being taught stuff by young musicians: best not to mention it but I get paid for theoretically teaching them while they actually teach me.
One of the most important things they've taught me is that genre is meaningless to their generation. For us, the genre of music you listened to defined your social group, your tribe if you like. For them, it's all just music and you can mix'n'match as freely as you like.
Check out alt-j : they have been described as "folk-step" ( a reference to the dubstep influences they mix with traditional folky vocals) and are truly innovative.
Regards
Jay
www.jaystapley.co.uk
www.reverbnation.com/jaystapley
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"
JayStapley

Postby Debs » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Jay sounds like just the sort of evening I would enjoy and being from Berkshire not too far for me to travel to, having only just read your post there is not enough time for me to plan it into my evening so maybe next time,

Talking of genre boundaries I fit into the older category from an age point of view but I have never been one to follow any one particular genre, I tend to hear a song like it buy it and enjoy listening to it regardless of the category that it falls into, I am trying to educate myself more on UK Country music and I think that you may have helped me here as I hear a name do a bit of research only to find that they describe themselves as something other than country so I move on in my search, to the untrained ear I am never too sure what truly defines music as being Country (unless it actually says that on the pack !) I have checked out the Vagabonds on youtube a very diverse group; I liked what I heard in particular The Ballad of El Molino. perhaps you could suggest a few other names that I can look up on YouTube, good luck for this evening hope you have a great night.
Debs

Postby lo&m » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Lol Lo&m; u sure they're not educating you?

Well, yes there's that. We all learn from each other, don't we? What I mean is like, I was able to introduce the lads to Merle Haggard via Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down. We have a mix of abilities and TTBLMD has a real simple progression. Plus it's fun to do.
Not heard of alt-j before so I looked them up. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate what they do.

Debs
You might like to check these guys out, The Diablos. http://www.thediablos.com/
They're a great modern country band and won an award at the BCMAs.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Bands & Artists Gig List