BRIAN HUGHES & THE LONESHARKS - MAY 2008

Postby JohnC » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

<center>

Artist / Band Of The Month
May 2008
Brian Hughes & The LoneSharks

Brian Hughes & The LoneSharks

</center>

Brian Hughes and the LoneSharks are one of the UK’s finest original material bands.
From the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, they have established themselves as a ‘hot ticket act’ in the UK country music festival scene, where they have set the standard in original material shows, and are now viewed as contenders for the ‘Next Big Thing’.
<center>
</center>

With three successful album releases behind them, and a fourth currently in production, Brian’s songs are the rock on which the live performance is built. Wonderful musicianship accompanied with professional attitude and driven commitment guarantees no one leaves a LoneShark show unimpressed, and with the resurgence of BritCountry, the band preach the ‘original material’ gospel with a passion.

The songs have been recognised by leading American music house Atlanta Music Group who immediately offered Brian a songwriter contract and invited him to travel Stateside to play shows in Nashville, Tennessee and Atlanta. Georgia. The rest will be history…..?

<center>Image
Brian Hughes
</center>

Brian Hughes: Born on 19 June 1959 in Dumbarton, an industrial town four miles east of Loch Lomond, Scotland to a working class family steeped in shipbuilding.
Brian showed an interest in music from an early age listening to his father’s favourite 8 track tapes of Glen Campbell, Ella Fitzgerald and Roy Orbison.
There were no musicians within the family circle and it would not be until he reached his seventeenth birthday that, out of the blue, he decided to pick up a guitar which he devoted his entire time to learning.
The following years saw him cut his teeth in the thriving live scene, playing in numerous band line ups including future ‘Sharks Greg Porterfield and Ian Newport, discovering and developing his natural songwriting ability along the way.
However in 1984, disillusioned with the music scene, he sold every piece of equipment, including his guitars, and joined Strathclyde Police, where he served as a detective for the next twenty-three years and was involved in many and varied major enquiries including the Lockerbie Disaster.
In 1996, a chance meeting with an old school friend saw Brian’s love of music rekindled and playing a guitar for the first time in twelve years. The passion was reborn.
Influenced by the emerging American 'New Country' sound, he began writing again, and in 1999, released his first album to critical acclaim. Encouraged by this, he put together a band under the working title ‘The LoneSharks’ for a one off showcase performance of the album at the prestigious Renfrew Ferry, Glasgow. The show was an overwhelming success and within the next few years, he would release a further two albums, play several shows and festivals throughout the UK, and hook up with AMG Atlanta for shows in the States.
In 2007, Brian left the police service to concentrate fully on his music career, and now spends his working time touring, writing and recording.
Away from music, He has been married for 27 years and has three adult children. He is a huge Laurel and Hardy fan and cites Bruce Springsteen as his musical hero.
Brian would be delighted to answer any questions you may have.

<center>Image
Robert Jones
</center>

Robert Jones is vastly experienced in both recording and live work in the UK, Europe and USA, working alongside, among others, Scottish stars Wet Wet Wet.
Other projects include fronting his own rock/blues band where he has performed at the prestigious venue Manny’s Blues Club, New York City.
Playing mostly electric and slide guitar, he is also an accomplished classical guitarist with an advanced certificate from the Associated Board (London).
He has been working with Brian Hughes for 5 years and has relished being part of the ongoing process, which has seen the LoneSharks become an established festival band, enjoying great success throughout the UK.
Away from music, he spends time relaxing with his girlfriend and going out for a drink with friends. He also enjoys comedy, literature and other art forms. Having family in the USA, he always looks forward to visiting them when his busy schedule allows!

<center>Image
Greg Porterfield
</center>

Greg Porterfield’s powerhouse style has seen him in demand throughout his career, playing with many and varied line ups including fellow ‘Shark bassist Ian Newport.
A long time friend of Brian, he was invited to play on recording sessions for the three albums and thereafter the subsequent showcase. He is a classically trained singer and has performed live with the Scottish National Orchestra.
An amateur dramatic enthusiast, he has played lead and supporting roles in productions such as Jesus Christ Superstar.
In 2005 he joined the LoneSharks quickly establishing himself as the driving force behind the live performances and looks forward to the future as the band now goes from strength to strength establishing themselves both in the United Kingdom and the USA.
He relaxes in his spare time with his family, playing golf, and listening to music with Mozart, The Beatles and Queen particular favourites.

<center>Image
Ian Newport</center>

Ian Newport’s solid style is influenced by classic rock legends such as The Rolling Stones and Creedence Clearwater Revival, and reflects his personality.
He initially studied as a radio officer at Glasgow Nautical College before discovering his talents lay in sound and communication technology from which he obtained the relative qualification.
Playing on Brian’s three albums, he stood in for early live shows, including the landmark Renfrew Ferry Showcase, before making the move permanent and now, along with Greg is the foundation on which the show is built. Working with The LoneSharks is a labour of love for Ian and he looks forward to continuing as the band gain significant momentum. establishing themselves with concert goers throughout the country and beyond.
An avid film buff, he relaxes spending time sailing, walking and playing golf. He also enjoys fine wine and is an accomplished cook.

<center>

Contact Details:-

Tel. 01389 762184

Tel. 07748 366834

Email. brian@brianhughesmusic.com

Web site. http://www.brianhughesmusic.com

</center>
The MAN, The MYTH, The LEGEND:
John C

Site Admin

Postby LoneShark » Thu May 01, 2008 3:19 pm

On behalf of the band can I thank John, Mary and the team for support and encouragement for what we do. Much appreciated my friends.
LoneShark

Postby JohnC » Thu May 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Many thanks Brian...
Now that you are band of the Month, why not give us some idea of where we can come along and see you...

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Anybody who has seen Brian Hughes & The LoneSharks, let us know your thoughts about them.

I can tell you that I have just uploaded Middi's latest radio show on to the BCMI web site, and he has a lot of good things to say about the band. Have a listen.

There is a link at the top right hand side of this page to get there....
The MAN, The MYTH, The LEGEND:
John C

Site Admin

Postby pamguiness » Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 pm

As many regulars on the forum will know, I am a huge fan of these guys. What can be said that has not already been said. They are a band not to be missed. As a parents of a young family, and being miles from anywhere near any country clubs, my husband and I unfortunately do not get out to as many festivals and clubs as we would like. But this is one band we certainly try our best to follow. My love for this band and their fab music and talent will never die.
Keep it country,
Pam
pamguiness

Postby LynneT » Fri May 02, 2008 11:50 am

Hi Brian
Another one of my favorite bands as you know cant wait to see you and the lads again.
Raising Cain
12th March
Beef butties
01457 833421
http://www.chewvalleycountry.co.uk
LynneT

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Sun May 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Hey All

Thank you for all the support, we really do appreciate your encouragement.

Our next show is a bit special as it is for my chosen charity Childrens Hospice Association (Scotland) C.H.A.S.

The venue is my local football stadium Strathclyde Homes Stadium, Dumbarton on Saturday 31 May. All, and I mean all proceeds go to the charity as the guys kindly donate their fee for the evening which will incorporate good friends and local youth football team FC Barcalomond, also supporters of CHAS.

For those of you who know me, this charity is very close to my heart and was invited to the facility opening along with the likes of Ewan MacGregor and Sharleen Spitieri from Scot Chartsters Texas.

If anyone wishes to donate to the evening, please do so directly to the charity www.chas.org.uk quoting myself and the band, it is really easy and every penny is so much appreciated.

The event expects to sell out and we thank everyone for their support.

Good thoughts to all

www.brianhughesmusic.com
LoneShark

Postby wildrose » Tue May 13, 2008 7:41 am

Sorry I am late replying to these posts just arrived back home again.

Thank you Brian for coming on and giving us feedback this is what we need in order to know that we are doing some good for the bands.
Wildrose Web Site (Copper Kettle & Broken Spoke Festival on this site)

Please note: site may be slow loading up
wildrose

Ultimate Member

Postby LoneShark » Mon May 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi everyone

As it is coming to the end of the month, can I once again thank John, Mary and the team for their excellent 'band of the month' section. I track the hits on my website, and have had hundreds from this link, so it is a most worthwhile tool in any British band's networking bag.

As the moderators will know, we have an overseas contingent looking in and I have been really encouraged with their comments on my music. Even got a London corporate show from it!

This Saturday is my charity show and I will let the good people on here know how much they made.

Good thoughts to all.
LoneShark

Postby wildrose » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Well done Brian and Good luck

wildrose

Ultimate Member

Postby LoneShark » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi all

An update to our charity event, we raised £3000.00 for Childrens Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS) and had a great night into the bargain. I have been informed from the charity that another £250 was received in donations quoting the band and I, so if it was anyone out there, many thanks for your generosity and support.

A mention should be made to the far travelled band supporters who, as always, made the effort to appear wherever we play, no names but big tip of the hat to you all.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Good thoughts
LoneShark

Postby wildrose » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 am

Well done Brian, what a fantastic amount your hded over I bet they were thrilled to receive it.

oo bet the kids love you, do you go to see them at all?

wildrose

Ultimate Member

Postby LoneShark » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:13 am

Hi Mary

Yes the charity, as always, were so grateful for the donation. It costs a small fortune to run the hospice and every penny is welcome and appreciated.

I have attended the hospice several times and met both the children and their parents. Their courage and resolve are incredible.

Not too long ago we played there at a 'cowboys and indians' day where everyone dressed up and had the most fantastic day with music, face painting, arts and crafts etc.

Sorry for going on but I am very passionate about this.

Good thoughts to all
LoneShark

Postby wildrose » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:12 pm

I admire you for that Brian, keep up the good work

wildrose

Ultimate Member

Return to Artist of the Month