HENRY SMITH BAND - APRIL 2009

Postby JohnC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:54 pm

<center>

Artist / Band Of The Month
April 2009
The Henry Smith Band

The Henry Smith Band
</center>

Henry Smith has been into country music from a very young age, his father Henry Smith Snr has had a major influence on him, the family have been in country music for a few generations, with little Jamie (Henry’s youngest son) well on the way to keep the traditional in line.

Multi talented Henry, can play various string instruments, he can also play the piano too. He is a very well respected singer/songwriter with songs in the Nashville Country Music charts, Hotdisc British/European charts and his own ‘Hello DJ’ having its very own No 1 spot.

Henry is quoted to be the most liveliest artist in the UK, he just enjoys his work so much and loves his music with such depth, that he cannot keep still on stage. He has to have the audience along with him, so never say you’re going to see him and expect to sit and listen, because if you can move any part of your body then Henry will make sure you do. The stage performance is second to no one, you can try and copy but you will not succeed.

The only artist in the world with his stage appearance would be Garth Brooks, and he would struggle.

<center>
</center>

Henry Smith: Rhythm Guitar, Lead Vocals: Henry Smith was born in January 1972 in Reading, Berkshire, England.

It was evident from an early age that Henry had talent and was destined for a life in music, particularly country music. Henry’s childhood was filled with the music of great artists such as Hank Williams Snr, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash. Basically if it was country music he would be interested. More recent artists that have inspired Henry are Alan Jackson, Randy Travis, George Strait and Garth Brooks. Henry’s first instrument was the drums. He even played on stage, backing his father singing, at the tender age of five. Henry also enjoyed playing keyboard and rhythm guitar, which he now plays on stage. It was at the age of 19 that Henry got his first taste of singing on stage with a live band behind him. That band was the Dalton Boys and Henry soon became a regular feature and the name changed to Henry Smith and the Dalton Boys. As Henry had been chasing this dream all his life he wanted the name to reflect this so he later named the band Henry Smith’s Country Dreams. Although the line up of musicians in the band has changed over the years the high standard has remained. All the members of the band are dedicated to play good country music to audiences for miles around. Henry has recorded many albums over the years including live recordings from gigs, covers and songs written by Henry himself. In fact it is one of these self-penned songs that Henry achieved the success of having his first number one hit in the UK music charts. “Hello DJ” was played in various countries around the world such as America, Canada, Australia, Thailand, Sweden, France, Germany and Hong Kong. Henry’s second UK number one success was the Jim Reeves classic “Welcome To My World”. In 1998 Henry and the band travelled to Nebraska and attended The Nebraska Country Music Festival where he won songwriter of the year, singer of the year and international entertainer of the year awards. In 1999 Henry won Club Choice UK Band of the Year and in 2006 The People’s Choice UK Band of the Year. Although Henry appreciates the recognition these awards bring he is aware that it is the audiences who turn up to his shows and support him that are the motivation for his continued success. In 2003 Henry and the band completed a month’s tour of Ireland which not only included playing gigs, theatres and festivals but performing many live radio interviews

Henry has also appeared in many international festivals such as Gravelines, France and Magaluf, Majorca as well as the top UK festivals such as The South Will Rise Again Festival, Dorset, The Americana, Nottingham, Yorkshire Dales Festival Skipton and The Norfolk and Kings Lynn Festivals at the Norfolk Showground. Some of Henry’s greatest personal achievements have been to support America’s own Mark Chestnut and Billy Yates at The South Will Rise Again Festival in July 2006. He has also appeared with Heather Myles, Joni Harms, Eve Selis, Danni Lee and Jon Randell.

<center>Image
Laid Back: Latest CD
</center>

<center>Image
Clive Grant
</center>

Clive Grant: Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals: "I have played many styles of Lead guitar. Back in the 70's and 80's I was a member in a six piece Jazz Funk band called "Freeride". We played all the London area Clubs and Disco's. We also played the Cabaret scene working on various shows starring Mike Reid/Bernard Manning/Jim Davidson to name a few.

In the late 80’s I started as Bass man with the Country Band "Memphis Roots". We were one of the top Country/Line Dance Acts in the UK. We played main stage Wembley Arena / Tower Ballroom Blackpool / Royal Albert Hall... We had CD's on release with Ritz Records and Carlton Sounds and toured with ‘Idaho Cowboy’ Pinto Bennett from the USA (still a close friend) and John Permenter from Texas, USA.

We also gigged in Switzerland/France/Belgium/Belfast/Jersey/ Isle Of Wight etc. I worked with the band for 14 years but after the band split I found it difficult to find a bunch of guys to work with that had the same quality of musicianship.

I tried a couple of Duo setup’s working with tracks. The first guy had a great voice but had no stage presence and the second allowed his ego and personal issues get in the way of his musical talent.

Anyway, to cut a long story short nothing had yet satisfied my musical needs until in 2008 I was contacted by Henry Smith to join his band, as a member of the ‘Country Dreams’. From that day on I have rediscovered the spark and buzz of a fully ‘live’ band and the pleasure and fulfilment that comes with working with fine musicians.

So now I am the Bass player/Vocals with the superb "Henry Smith's Country Dreams". Please come along and do say "Hi" if we are playing in your area....

All the Best, Clive. "

<center>Image
Robbie Burns "Chivy"
</center>

Robbie Burns "Chivy": Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals:Chivey has played with the Henry Smith Band for around 8 years.

<center>Image
Dave Heywood</center>

Dave Heywood: Pedal Steel Guitar: Played with several names on the UK scene, such as Al Barrett's Linemen, Lorne Gibson, Frank Jennings, and Little Ginny.

Played all of the Newbury Steel Festivals, plus the Dutch Steel Festival, and several times at The St. Louis International Steel Guitar Convention.

Steel Guitar recordings: "London to St. Louis" (with Gerry Hogan), "Kountry Knights" (with Herb Remington and Gerry Hogan), "String of Pearls", and "Behind Bars".

Dave is currently playing with The Henry Smith Band in clubs and festivals throughout UK and overseas.

Dave runs his own recording studio (DH Studios) and produces for a variety of names in country and other fields.

<center>Image
Neil Harris</center>

Neil Harris: Drums, Backing Vocals: Neil has been on the Country music scene since 2001.

Before playing with The Henry Smith Band, he played with The Longriders, backing artists like Michael Twitty (Conway's son) and John Permenter etc.

Prior to The Longriders, Neil played for Halo James, an 80's pop band, and various rock, reggae and jazz bands.

<center>
The Henry Smith Band
</center>

It is not until you experience life on the road that you appreciate how difficult it can be for a five-piece band to keep going for so long. Henry Smith’s Country Dreams have overcome many trials but along the way have made many friends and fans all around the world.

This year Henry has been talking to Billy Yates about making a CD together. Henry and Billy will be appearing together in July 2009 at a Norfolk venue.

They have now recorded a duet together, Fooling Myself, featured on the CD “Laid Back”.

Contact Details:-

Tel. 02392 259 944

E-mail henry.countrydreams@virgin.net

Web site. http://www.henrysmith.moonfruit.com

</center>
The MAN, The MYTH, The LEGEND:
John C

Site Admin

Postby coolhand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:03 pm

i agree john top band :lol: :lol:
www.stockyardscwc.co.uk

I'm the shy one
coolhand

Postby roy59 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 pm

I had the pleasure of seeing Henry Smith & Country Dreams at last weekends` Wolvestock 15, Excellent performance & good fun too !!
roy59

Newbie Member

Return to Artist of the Month