TEXAS

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

TEXAS

Postby Moshe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Not exactly a country music show, but "Rich Hall's You Can Go To Hell, I'm Going To Texas" (9PM, Sunday 30 June BBC4) may be of some interest to country fans as he disects the myths & culture of the Lone Star State.
Anyone who saw his TV programb a few tears back about how the American South is portrayed in movies will have an idea of what to expect.
Could be an interesting programb, & posibly a little bit of country in there, too.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: TEXAS

Postby Smudger » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Moshe - sounds interesting.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:13 pm

About 1 hour, 20 minutes in, he's in The Continental whilst Junior Brown is playing. And who's that in the audience? Me!! :lol: Shouldn't I get paid for that!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm

kev wrote:About 1 hour, 20 minutes in, he's in The Continental whilst Junior Brown is playing. And who's that in the audience? Me!! :lol: Shouldn't I get paid for that!

I watched the programme but missed you Kev! Did you notice the filming going on while you were there?
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm

My favourite line was: "There are only 2 States in the US - TEXAS and TAFT (This Ain't F***ing Texas."
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:35 pm

No, I don't remember seeing any cameras but it was absolutely packed so anything could have been happening. It was the busiest gig I went to when I was over there!

Interestingly enough, it was Duncan Warwick of Country Music People who saw me and alerted me to the fact as I hadn't seen the prog (still haven't seen all of it).
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:05 pm

This programme is on again tonight on BBC Four at 9pm, and then repeated a couple of times during the week (as well as being on the catch up thing).
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:00 pm

I started watching this & Hall is very good at debunking mythology & amusing while at it. But I got distracted after a while.
Thing is, I know a lot of good country music has come from Texas, but I don't get texas at all, or Texans!
I love Tennessee & all those places. The people are lovely & friendly, feels down home & welcoming.
But Texas? A bit like that humongous steak we saw in the show- too big & obnoxious.
Texans are either obnoxious (John Wayne, Waylon) or weird & irritating (Steve Earle, Michelle Shocked).

Anyway, I will have another go at watching this prog, but, again like that steak, it is a bit too big & takes a lot of chewing.

I've never been to Texas & I have no desire to go there. I will certainly go back to Tennessee, NYC, I'll go to California some day, but I just don't get Texas!

By the way, I have just finished reading the autobiography of Willie Nelson ("It's a long story"). Now that is amusing. And Willie is almost likable (though he does go on an awful lot about cannabis!). But I wouldn't want to go to Texas! I'd take Nashville- or, even better, Gatlinburg- every time. Only problem with Gatlinburg, last time I was there anyway, is that it is in a dry country.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:28 pm

Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:19 pm

With all respect to the fast talking dude in that clip, Rich Hall appears to think Texas is a load of BS as well, peopled by dysfunctional human beings.
I like George strait & Willie Nelson, but that is about it.

And isn't it rather sad, as Rich Hall points out, that Beyoncé is the most famous woman to ever come out of Texas??

As for American football? All that homoerotic nonsense bores the pants off me & I don't find the cheerleaders sexy, either.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 pm

I love Texas! Looking forward to going over again in February!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:13 pm

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Kev!
Have a look at the book thread. I just finished Willie's new autobiography. Have you read it? One of the better star biographies around at the moment.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to CM Program Alerts