Bob Harris

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Bob Harris

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 am

Bob's show last Thursday with Beth Nielson Chapman is still on listen again & worth checking out.
This Thursday will be a special featuring Mary Chapin Carpenter with the Scottish Symphony Orchestra live in Glasgow.
Coming soon will be a "Nashville" themed show with sessions by the Stella Sisters & the Cornish guy who plays Gunner in the series.
Ahhh!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Bob Harris

Postby kev » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Blimey, given all the Saville and Lee Travis stuff I'd have imagined he's have thought twice about that photo op!!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 pm

kev wrote:Blimey, given all the Saville and Lee Travis stuff I'd have imagined he's have thought twice about that photo op!!!

Nah, an entirely innocent photo.
I don't think Bob is the Saville/ DLT type.
But the thought of those BBC scandals did come into my mind when I saw the photo. A shame that something quite innocent now has such connotations. It looks more like a grand dad figure with a couple of cute kids.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 pm

All I'll say is, if Maise & Stella were boys, would he be hugging them like that?
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:30 pm

lo&m wrote:All I'll say is, if Maise & Stella were boys, would he be hugging them like that?

He's not exactly hugging them. He just has an arm around the older ones shoulder
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Here's Bob with his arm round Brad's shoulder
Taylor Swift hugging a boy
I think it is too easy to read sexual connotations into any physical contact.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

And here is some dodgy geezer hugging bob quite tightly
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:54 pm

To coincide with Series 2 of "Nashville" starting at 10PM on More 4 on Thursday 6th February, earlier the same evening at 7PM Lennon Stella & Maisie Stella, along with Sam Palliadio, all actors/ singers in the US TV soap, guest on Uncle Bob's Radio 2 show.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Good show from Bob this evening, based round the theme of Nashville, both the city & the TV series.
Not sure about the wisdom of him playing the Zac Brown Bands' "Let it rain" in the circumstances, though.
Suffering from running around in this awful weather, now knowing it has all been caused by the Zac Brown Band puts me off them/
I may leave early on the Saturday of C2C. Otherwise I'll really be soaked!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun May 04, 2014 8:30 am

Did anyone else catch Bob Harris Country on Thursday with a session by the Shires? Pretty good. Worth taking a listen
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Tue May 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Yes, unusual for Harris to feature a Brit act but it was a good show.
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:10 pm

On Thursday's show Bob Harris steps outside his southern comfort zone. It's a show devoted to non-american artists.
…It's not all Tennessee and Texas in country music you know, and tonight Bob proves the point by introducing an hour of songs from outside America, featuring the likes of New Zealand's Keith Urban…

So that'll be country music recorded in America for Americans by someone who might as well be american himself. Can anybody think of one thing about Urban that shows his New Zealand heritage? I can't. He pretty much reinvented himself upon landing on american shores. Nothing wrong with that of course, who would want to labour in obscurity back in NZ when you can be a country superstar in America?
Anyway, back to the show: expect to hear next-big-things Ward Thomas and the Shires on it and we're promised a track by Redlands Palamino Company who I recall were pretty good a few years ago. I even bought one of their albums.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52 pm

I found the show a bit disappointing. Too much Americana-type stuff.
Bob did mention Ward Thomas, but just played the Shires' current single. From Sweden he had some Americana-type guy. I would have preferred First Aid kit.

A lot of people knocking Bob these days, but I think his country show has greatly improved & broadened over the past year. The show used to be pretty Americana dominated, but of late it has broadened greatly & includes a lot of contemporary Country music including the mainstream stars Bob would previously have ignored & vintage artistes like Jim Reeves & Patsy Cline.
These days I listen to Bob's Country most weeks, whereas in the Americana days of the show I would often give it a miss or drop out after a couple of tracks.

Also, for years country music shows on the BBC were criticised for not featuring British Country artistes. Oddly, David Allan recently levelled that charge against the BBC again. Whereas it used to be true, I don't see it as a valid criticism today- Bob has had both The Shires & Ward Thomas in to do sessions & both these acts have been included on the Radio 2 playlist- yep, daytime radio! Plus, Bob recently played another new Brit act calling themselves "Legends of Country".
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby camsgrandad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:22 am

I don't think Legends Of Country are a new act. If I'm correct, it is a group of musicians that includes Luke & Mel, who play music by country music legends. I could be wrong of course, but I'm sure one of them works in a music shop in Aston-Under-Lyne. I'm always open to correction if anyone knows anything else.
camsgrandad

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Interesting. I know nothing at all about them & have not been able to find anything on the net or you tube.
The single Bob has been playing- "That's what we talk about when we talk about country"- is an original song, a bit Indie Country in style- looking at country music from the perspective of a British fan.
Calling themselves Legends of Country does not make them easy to find. Pop their name into Google or youtube & you get compilations of Patsy, Hank, Johnny, Dolly & Jim Reeves!!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Next

Return to CM Program Alerts