Film Recommendations

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Film Recommendations

Postby kev » Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 am

Following on from the Toby Keith thread I thought I'd mention a couple of other music related DVD we've watched recently (mods - please feel free to move this thread elsewhere if you see fit!).

Firstly I managed to order a cheap copy of "Angels Sing" from Amazon.com. This is a Christmas film that came out last year. It was filmed in Austin and features appearances from lots of local artists. Willie Nelson plays a certain bearded character (I won't give the plot away!), and he's supported by Kris Kristofferson, Lyle Lovett (!), and the woman who plays the lead in "Nashville". Lots of other people pop up - Dale Watson, Ray Benson, and a lovely, very brief, musical interlude from The Trisha's. Not the world's best film but the music's great!!

Don't think this one's available in the UK yet, so if anyone fancies seeing a Christmas film in the middle of the summer I'm happy to lend this out (though you'll need a region 1 player).

The other thing we saw was "Sunshine on Leith", the UK musical based around the songs of The Proclaimers. This was Mrs Kev's choice and though I wasn't keen I have to admit I enjoyed it more than I expected. I liked The Proclaimers' first couple of albums and thought they were excellent when I first saw them supporting The Housemartins (way back in 1986 - blimey, that makes me feel old!!), but have found them a bit 'samey' over the years. Here the songs are performed by a mix of male and female voices and it adds a great deal. It's not a particularly original story - pretty obvious what's going to happen from about 10 minutes in - but it's well done and the Edinburgh scenery is nice!! Worth a look!
kev

Ultimate Member

Re: Film Recommendations

Postby Smudger » Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 pm

kev wrote:The other thing we saw was "Sunshine on Leith", the UK musical based around the songs of The Proclaimers. This was Mrs Kev's choice and though I wasn't keen I have to admit I enjoyed it more than I expected. I liked The Proclaimers' first couple of albums and thought they were excellent when I first saw them supporting The Housemartins (way back in 1986 - blimey, that makes me feel old!!), but have found them a bit 'samey' over the years. Here the songs are performed by a mix of male and female voices and it adds a great deal. It's not a particularly original story - pretty obvious what's going to happen from about 10 minutes in - but it's well done and the Edinburgh scenery is nice!! Worth a look!

Yes, a great film!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Return to CM Program Alerts