BBC Radio 2 Country

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

BBC Radio 2 Country

Postby Moshe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:32 am

BBC Radio 2 Country will broadcast on DAB over the period of the C2C Festival.
Broadcasts will begin 12:00 Noon on Thursday 5th March & be on air 12 noon to midnight daily from Thursday 5th March to Sunday 8th March.
Seems to be a mixed bag of shows, including broadcasting the Arena shows live. Of the later, I am not too keen on live broadcasts or recordings of stadium or arena shows as the sound never sounds that great, IMO.
What would come over better on Radio, I think, would be the Songwriters Series show, which is not due to be broadcast.
I do understand, though, that this will be shown on a Bob Harris video channel.

Back to radio 2 Country, among the shows will be Suzy Bogguss presenting Classic Country (Thursday 3PM) Paul Sexton Country UK (6PM Thursday) &a 2 hour Bob Harris Country (Thursday 7PM) which will include the Mavericks 'live' in the studio.
Friday: Bob Harris meets Miranda Lambert (3PM), 'On The Road Again' with Sally Traffic (5PM) (some truckers music?) & 'Wynonna Judd- Taking The Country Back' (11PM)
Sally Traffic's show will be repeated 1PM on Saturday & Bogguss at 2PM Sunday.
Other presenters include Radio 2 staples Tony Blackburn, Pauk Gambuccini, and Steve Wright.
Johnny Walkers splendid interview with Dolly Parton will be broadcast again on Thursday at 10PM

Full details here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2cou ... hedule.pdf
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: BBC Radio 2 Country

Postby kev » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:23 pm

Nice idea but some of the shows planned sound toe-curlingly awful .... Steve Wright's country love songs? Pass the bucket please!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:42 pm

:lol:
A nice idea, though, to have Sally Traffic presenting a show called On The Road again :wink:
Big Screen Country, presumably about counbtry movies in the movies could be interesting, but is presented by the rather smarmy Simon Mayo!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Peette » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:37 pm

The selection of shows planned does sound a bit odd but I am still impressed how much attention the BBC is giving this.
Peette

Newbie Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:50 pm

I've caught a few of the programmes - I enjoyed Suzy Bogguss, Bob's interview with Miranda and "Big Screen Country". Will try and listen to Tricia and Wynonna tonight and Paul Sexton's UK Country tomorrow, as well as Brandy Clark and Lee Ann live from C2C. Well done the BBC!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby leedspete » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 am

It is good that r2 are doing this but it does beg the question why does it take a festival like C2C for this to happen? All i heard throughout the weekend was how good the scene in the uk is now but has it ever been rubbish?
Thats my rant over and done.
I will be going next year but not to see the headline acts but to see the uk and upcoming acts.
Thanks
Peter
leedspete

Postby Moshe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:46 pm

leedspete, you can catch these acts on the "pop up stages" (doesn't "Free stages sound better?) so you won't need a ticket.
I will wait to see the line up before deciding which, if any, day to book for. In any case, I will be going to the 02 on during the fest for the free stages.
There needs to be at least two acts on in the arena I want to see to make it worthwhile purchasing a ticket for that.

I have a major grumble about this "no re-admittance" policy to the Arena. Surely, once you have paid a hefty price for a ticket, you should be free to come & go as you like. In the Arena enclosure , there are only awful, vastly overpriced fast food outlets & nowhere to sit. This does make it difficult if there is an act you want to avoid in between 2 acts you want to see.

Also, when I was leaving at about 8PM on the Saturday, I noticed that all the Town hall area & other pop up stages had closed. I am sure I recall in the first year they kept going & then you could come & go from the arena during the day. I recall leaving the Arena during Brantley Gilberts set, going to the Town Hall, & returning for LeAnn Rimes.

This no re-admittance lark is an outrage
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby foot-tapper » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Thought the sound on the BBC recordings was much better than the sound in the arena - sounded less like a rock concert plus i could control the sound level.
Like Moshe won't be attempting to buy any tickets until I know the line up - don't want to a trend a two day rock concert like this year. If I miss out at least there will be some great free stuff to listen too outside the arena if this year is anything to go by.
Happiness is a voyage - not a destination
foot-tapper

Supreme Member

Postby leedspete » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:35 am

Exactly what i mean. I will be going to see the free acts (pop up). As it will be a 3 day event next year hopefully that means more quality on these stages
leedspete

Postby Moshe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:15 am

I presume the Friday will just be an evening concert, so not sure if the other stuff will kick in then or Saturday?
I also wonder what will happen to the CMA Songwriters series? Will that be moved to a Thursday night, or maybe they could have it mid day Saturday or Sunday?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to CM Program Alerts