BBC Radio 2 - Country Alerts

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: BBC Radio 2 - Country Alerts

Postby Moshe » Fri May 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:The selection was slanted towards oldies as the musos were asked, as I recall, to pick a track that got them into country. As they were not spring chickens it would be the older tunes, It could hardly have been Carrie Underwoods' "Good Girl" :wink:

I agree, so I blame the BBC programmers for coming up with a show like that to showcase country music.

Yes, it was the concept that was wrong.
The hour should have been used to feature a mix of some of the great music of the past alongside some contemporary tracks.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Fri May 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Moshe wrote:
Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:The selection was slanted towards oldies as the musos were asked, as I recall, to pick a track that got them into country. As they were not spring chickens it would be the older tunes, It could hardly have been Carrie Underwoods' "Good Girl" :wink:

I agree, so I blame the BBC programmers for coming up with a show like that to showcase country music.

Yes, it was the concept that was wrong.
The hour should have been used to feature a mix of some of the great music of the past alongside some contemporary tracks.

Absolutely!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Interesting that Alex Lester admitted to only 'finding' CM comparatively recently on a trans USA drive !!
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Fri May 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Space Cowboy wrote:Interesting that Alex Lester admitted to only 'finding' CM comparatively recently on a trans USA drive !!

Yeah, I must admit I haven't heard much of Alex Lester on the radio - does he favour contemporary country? You would expect so if he started enjoying country listening to US radio stations a few years ago. Whatever he likes, he didn't contribute much to the 2day show.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Smudger wrote:Yeah, I must admit I haven't heard much of Alex Lester on the radio - does he favour contemporary country? You would expect so if he started enjoying country listening to US radio stations a few years ago. Whatever he likes, he didn't contribute much to the 2day show.

Mayo should have used Wogan - he IS a CM devotee - past and present :lol:.
Waylon Jennings.
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Simon Mayo says on the BBC website:

My theory is that in the UK you come late to country music. It is the quintessential American music and isn't (it seems to me) aimed at young people. Its themes are often weary and worn-down and that happens later in life.

Well, he's a good ambassador for country music in the UK, isn't he?
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Smudger wrote:Simon Mayo says on the BBC website:

My theory is that in the UK you come late to country music. It is the quintessential American music and isn't (it seems to me) aimed at young people. Its themes are often weary and worn-down and that happens later in life.

Well, he's a good ambassador for country music in the UK, isn't he?

That explains the program content - nuff said.
Waylon Jennings.
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat May 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Alex Lester, though, is a country fan & has been pretty good when he's sad in for Bob, playing a wider selection than the whispering one.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Sat May 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Moshe wrote:Alex Lester, though, is a country fan & has been pretty good when he's sad in for Bob,.

Sad being the operative word Moshe - only joking :lol: .
Waylon Jennings.
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat May 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Space Cowboy wrote:
Moshe wrote:Alex Lester, though, is a country fan & has been pretty good when he's sad in for Bob,.

Sad being the operative word Moshe - only joking :lol: .

:oops: My typos!!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 pm

CMA MUSIC FESTIVAL (Monday 20th to Thursday 24th 10PM BBC Radio 2)
BBC Radio 2 gets into a CMA Fest sort of mood with four hourlong shows recorded at the CMA Fest in Nashville. Stars featured include: Miranda Lambert, Lady A, Glen Campbell,Brad,Carrie Underwood,ZBB, Faith Hill, Mavericks, Martina, Bill Anderson and many more!!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 am

Moshe wrote:CMA MUSIC FESTIVAL (Monday 20th to Thursday 24th 10PM BBC Radio 2)
BBC Radio 2 gets into a CMA Fest sort of mood with four hourlong shows recorded at the CMA Fest in Nashville. Stars featured include: Miranda Lambert, Lady A, Glen Campbell,Brad,Carrie Underwood,ZBB, Faith Hill, Mavericks, Martina, Bill Anderson and many more!!

I listened to some of this last night and once again came away from radio 2 wondering why they have to have so much talking! Stop the blah-blah and play the bloody music!! That said, good to see four hours of country music on R2, though by limiting themselves to just the LP field concerts they miss so much! I've been more impressed by the coverage available to listen to on WSM:

http://www.wsmonline.com/events/durango ... ic-corner/
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 pm

I listened to tonights show and thought it quite good. My criticism would be that they only feature one or, at most, song from most artistes. I would prefer if they featured less artistes but had each on for longer, say 3 or 4 songs each
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:54 pm

I highly recommend this weeks' AMERICAN PIE with Tim Rice. Tonights show (almost finished) has been Tennessee, but the show will be available on listen again later.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 am

Moshe wrote:I highly recommend this weeks' AMERICAN PIE with Tim Rice. Tonights show (almost finished) has been Tennessee, but the show will be available on listen again later.

Yes, it was a good one this week. I've been enjoying this series - for those who don't know it, Tim Rice is looking at the musical heritage of each of the US states, always seems to be some country in there :) ! Have I missed the Texas one?
kev

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to CM Program Alerts