Mel Tillis

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Mel Tillis

Postby Smudger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Mel Tillis, as famed for his recording career and songwriting as he was for his lifelong stutter, died early Sunday morning at Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Florida, following a lengthy illness. A representative confirmed the singer's death, citing respiratory failure as the suspected cause. He was 85. As a songwriter, he was known for hits that included the Bobby Bare single "Detroit City," Webb Pierce's "I'm Tired" and the 1969 crossover tune for Kenny Rogers & the First Edition, "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town." As a recording artist and performer, the affable Tillis was the CMA's Entertainer of the Year in 1976, a mainstream country-music superstar at a time when the genre was dominated by pop-leaning country and the burgeoning outlaw movement. (from Rolling Stone)
Smudger

Supreme Member

Re: Mel Tillis

Postby kev » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 am

I was really sorry to hear about this. Saw him quite a few times in Nashville (3 times in the same day on one occasion) and thought he was excellent each time. Great singer and a very funny man - I still smile thinking about his Mole-Asses story! :lol:

I was surprised to learn fairly recently that Mel had recorded some tracks with Bob Wills in the 1960s. My favourite of these is "I Needed You" but I can't find it on Youtube so here's "Looking Over My Shoulder" from the same sessions.

kev

Ultimate Member

Re: Mel Tillis

Postby Moshe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 am

Funny thing about Mel, while he had a pronounced stiutter when talking, he did not stutter when singing. He could also do a passable impression of Clint Eastwood talking without stuttering.
Funniest story I heard about Mel was when he was chosen to be in a Clint Eastwood movie. They played him a song called "Coca Cola Cowboy". Mel said that is a terrible song. He was told that if he wants to be in the movie, he'd have to sing that song. "You know, that's a pretty good song" he said.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten