Reading matter

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Reading matter

Postby Moshe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Anyone reading country music related books?

No new topics on here for a while.
Any country reading to recommend or otherwise?

I am currently reading "Patsy- The Life and Times of Patsy Cline" by Margaret Jones. A fascinating read, with alot of detail. A good companion to this is a book I read years ago "Honky Tonk Angel- The intimate story of Patsy Cline" by Ellis Nassour which also presents a lively picture of patsy and the country music era she came out of.

Once I finish "Patsy" I will post a review.

Any recomendations of any country- related books?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Reading matter

Postby lo&m » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 pm

I've been reading some not country music books. Just finished a major biography of Keith Moon. Dear Boy: The Life Of Keith Moon by Tony Fletcher. It's 600 densely packed pages that describes his life in detail, from his childhood in Wembley through his early career to his rise to fame with The Who and of course his self-destructive lifestyle. Btw, the car in the swimming pool; never happened.

Another book I've recently enjoyed is Walking The Trail by Jerry Ellis. The trail refers to the 'trail of tears.' In 1838 the Cherokee farmers of Georgia were rounded up by the US army and force marched nine hundred miles to Oklahoma. Many died along the way, mostly the elderly and children. In 1991, Jerry Ellis, a Cherokee himself retraced their path on foot. Travelling on rural roads, he tells us of his journey and the people he meets along the way. It was fascinating reading a travel book from a native american perspective.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Reading matter

Postby Moshe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am

Off topic, as this is not even a music related book, but I am really enjoying "Christodora" by Tim Murphey. It is a novel set in NYC spanning a period from the Eighties to the present day. An interesting cast of charachters & very well written, which is a thing for me as so many books are badly written!

The writting style is one of the things marring the Patsy biography I am reading. The style is often clumsy, but this is made up for by being very well researched, fascinating interviews, and giving an interesting glimpse into the life of Patsy Cline & those times in country music.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Book Reviews