Twang!

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Twang!

Postby lo&m » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Twang!

Obstfeld and Burgener
ISBN: 0-8050-4888-X

A very simple idea behind this book. Just gather loads of quotes from country music stars into one place. For that's what we have here. 240 pages of quotations from country stars of the past and present (up to 1997), about six or so quotes to a page. It's the sort of book that's good to dip into from time to time rather than read from the start to the end.

The chapters are arranged into eleven different subjects ranging across all the things important to country music singers and fans. From the music itself, from singing,“You got to have smelt (sic) a lot of mule manure to sing like a hillbilly” - (Hank Williams Sr), through song-writing, “A good country song takes a page out of somebody's life and puts it to music” - (Conway Twitty), to going out on the road touring and playing live, “This whole concert bit is sort of weird to me … They're doing rock concerts these days in the [country music] business. That's kinda hard for me to keep up with. I've got the stage, and all the computerized moving lights and this crap … I mean the whole deal is, you got two choices: you can either be Kiss or you can be Mark Chesnutt” - (Mark Chesnutt).

It also has chapters on non-musical subjects such as patriotism, “A great American takes pride in what he does, no matter what it is … I meet them every day. I think we're led to believe that the majority is an unsatisfied worker who wishes he'd been a lawyer, and that's hogwash” - (Aaron Tipping), spirituality, “If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans” - (Minnie Pearl) and mortality, “Once you're dead, you're beloved. Y'know, the “late great” and “what he did for our music.” But until then it's always, “trouble-makin' son of a bitch” - (Waylon Jennings).

Naturally, there's sections on love, marriage, “women have always loved me and I've always loved them and gotten along real well with them … until I married them” - (Willie Nelson) and of course, family life, “I love the age my children are at now: five and seven. I just signed 'em up for soccer, and I looked at my schedule and I'm going to be home for one game. I just get real emotional about that stuff. All their growin' up while I'm away just tears me up” - (Kix Brooks)

No matter what the subject is; country musicians always have something to say about it.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Twang!

Postby Moshe » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Reading the review of this book, made me think of a book I got when I first got into country big time, "You're so cold I'm turnin' blue" by Martha Hume.
I havn't looked at it in years (it came out in 1982), but have just hauled it out.
One of those books to dip in & out of.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Book Reviews