George Jones "I Lived To Tell It All"

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

George Jones "I Lived To Tell It All"

Postby kev » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 am

I’ve been reading the George Jones autobiography “I Lived To Tell It All” but can’t imagine I’m going to finish it. I’m enjoying the insights into the country music world of the 50s and 60s but find the constant drinking and fighting stories too irritating. I get the point that Jones had a drinking ‘problem’ and was eventually ‘saved by the love of a good woman’ but to be honest the guy just comes across as a first class ar*se – drunk or sober!

Maybe I should try a biography rather than an autobiography?
kev

Ultimate Member

Re: George Jones "I Lived To Tell It All"

Postby Moshe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:04 pm

I had a similar problem when I read that big thorough bio of Johnny Cash. I came away not liking him much, but when I listen to his music I do like him.
I quite liked Tanya Tucker when I read her autobiography, but I wouldn't want to be her neighbour.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm

I've surprised myself by actually finishing this. Interesting enough but I couldn't really recommend it. I now feel I have to read a decent biography to find out which of his stories are true .... some were so outlandish it's difficult to believe them!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:30 pm

kev wrote:I've surprised myself by actually finishing this. Interesting enough but I couldn't really recommend it. I now feel I have to read a decent biography to find out which of his stories are true .... some were so outlandish it's difficult to believe them!

Yeah, I've read this and wasn't impressed either. I'm not sure if there are any other George Jones biographies out there - what we need is a bio-pic!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm

kev wrote:I've surprised myself by actually finishing this. Interesting enough but I couldn't really recommend it. I now feel I have to read a decent biography to find out which of his stories are true .... some were so outlandish it's difficult to believe them!

Like riding into town on a lawn mower to buy booze? Is that in there?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am

Moshe wrote:

Like riding into town on a lawn mower to buy booze? Is that in there?

Yes, but it's mentioned quite briefly. The stories about his wife Nancy being held at gunpoint while he was forced to take cocaine or his step-daughter being kidnapped in an effort to keep him taking drugs, all without getting the police involved, just seemed too fanciful.

Still, it's not stopped me listening to and enjoying his music!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 pm

kev wrote:Still, it's not stopped me listening to and enjoying his music!

Exactly!I don't really care about his wild personal life - to me, in his prime he was the ultimate country singer with the greatest ever country voice.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Return to Book Reviews