Starday Records

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Starday Records

Postby kev » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm currently reading "The Starday Story: The House That Country Music Built" by Nathan Gibson. As the title suggests it's the history of the Starday label. The name might mean much to you but it was the launch pad for quite a number of big stars of later years (George Jones, Jimmy Dean, Dottie West, and Roger Miller) and helped relaunch the careers of a good few others (Moon Mullican, Cowboy Copas, Red Sovine, etc.). And they the very first Willie Nelson single!

It's interesting stuff, and is partly credited to Don Pierce who ran the label for many years as he was interviewed extensively by Gibson.

Nathan Gibson is also a musician himself, having released both country and rockabilly albums. I was surprised to realise I had one of his albums on my computer that I had downloaded at some point.

kev

Ultimate Member

Re: Starday Records

Postby Moshe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:16 pm

Sounds like an interesting read. I'll look out for it.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 am

Moshe wrote:Sounds like an interesting read. I'll look out for it.

Only thing I would say is to be prepared to spend loads of time searching the internet to listen to loads of obscure music they talk about that you won't have heard!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:34 pm

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:Sounds like an interesting read. I'll look out for it.

Only thing I would say is to be prepared to spend loads of time searching the internet to listen to loads of obscure music they talk about that you won't have heard!

Question is- is this obscure music good?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Book Reviews