Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Nashville and Memphis advice please

Postby Smudger » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:11 am

Have a great trip Peter!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:23 am

And if you get a few minutes, updates of your adventures would be gratefully received!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:35 am

Of course. I will give regular updates, all being well.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:46 am

Had a couple of days in new orleans so far, we went up bourbon street, my life, I can't recall ever hating a place as much. I can't really say anything positive about it at all.
I tried oysters for the first time, very nice but it seems I don't like oysters. After the bourbon street experience I wrote this city off, but then we took a walk to the mississippi and then round to the warehouse district, just a completely different feel and made me like it a lot more.
Eating and drinking here is expensive, been to quite a few places in the US and this is the most expensive I have ever been to.
Later today we have a tour of a cemetary, a visit to Frenchman St and a walking tour planned. Then tomorrow it's a flight to Nashville.
A plus is that the TV has CMT and GAC.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Sorry to all that! I'm sure Nashville and Memphis will be more up your (Beale) Street!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:11 pm

I didn't mind Bourbon Street. We were there during Mardi Gras and the atmosphere was brilliant. It was an experience that I enjoyed, but I probably wouldn't go back. You'll enjoy Frenchmen Street better...............and Beale Street!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:04 am

Good day today. Got my days wrong, have another day here before nashville.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 am

Nashville has been enjoyable thus far. Roberts western world has been a highlight. Saw Rachael Hester there on the first night and enjoyed it so much we went back. She is fantastic.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:58 am

PeterJD wrote:Nashville has been enjoyable thus far. Roberts western world has been a highlight. Saw Rachael Hester there on the first night and enjoyed it so much we went back. She is fantastic.

Yeah, she's great! Was her dad playing? I didn't realise he was Hoot Hester until I'd been speaking to him for a couple of minutes! :oops: Last time I saw her (during the CMA fest last year) Kenny Vaughan was sitting in on guitar - that was a fantastic couple of hours!!

Sounds like you're having a good time. Are you going to do the Johnny Cash and George Jones museums?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:39 pm

CMHOF an studio b yesterday, today Ryman backstage tour. Managed to mess up my achilles in new orleans so I am on crutches. Cash and Jones hopefully today.
Hesters band are exceptional, I think Hoot was playing too. We have loved that bar up to now, friendly and excellent music.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Yeah, Robert's is great, it's my favourite in Nashville. Have you tried their pork chop sandwich? Fantastic! Hope the crutches don't hold you back! If you get along to see John England, tell him I said hello!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Last full day today, in Nashville at least. Yesterday we did the opry backstage tour. This was a real highlight, almost emotional. The night was spent watching the first night of the opry 90 celebrations. The old fellas showed the youngsters how to do it. Gatlin Brothers, Joe Diffie, Diamond Rio, all excellent. JT Hodges, bland. Little big town were pretty good, performing Elvira with the oak ridge boys. Highlights by a fair chalk were old crow medicine show and riders in the sky. My first experience of both. Not my last. Excellent just excellent.

Highlights outside off that has been the johnny cash museum. A real labour of love.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Oh yeah! LOVE Riders in the Sky! Great fun and brilliant musicians to boot! Check out the "Great Big Western Howdy", one of my favourite albums ever! Hope you get to see my old pal John England today!
kev

Ultimate Member

Previous

Return to Saloon