Gary Quinn and the WSJ

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Gary Quinn and the WSJ

Postby lo&m » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:09 pm

In an article in the Wall Street Journal they reveal that they've only just noticed that europe and particularly the UK has got country musicians too. Talk about being late to the party. They add to their ignorance by claiming that this is only a recent development. They're completely unaware that a Brit country scene has ever existed. If they want to parade their ignorance for the world to see, I guess that's their own affair. Still, Gary Quinn gets a nice picture in a prestigious (but out of touch) magazine.
The sad thing is that Gary too buying in to this highly erroneous view about country music in the UK. Unless he has been misquoted that is.
"Going back three years ago, I thought I was on my own lone personal crusade trying to bring original country to the masses," says Gary Quinn, an Irish singer-songwriter who has performed in a few Country Music Association (CMA) showcases in both Nashville and Europe. "But at Country to Country this year, they really were incorporating British talent onto the pop-up [side] stages."

Actually, I do hope Gary was misquoted and that he doesn't really think that he was the only Brit country act to perform original music. Whatever happened to acknowledging the UK artists who have gone before? Remember that quote from Albert Einstein when he received his Nobel prize? "If I can see so much further it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants." It would be nice if the current crop of UK country artists who are enjoying well-earned success acknowledged that they are the latest in a long line of talented artists.
Gary, if you're reading this, the next time you give an interview with the WSJ just remind them that 2013 was not year zero and UK country didn't begin with C to C.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Gary Quinn and the WSJ

Postby PeterJD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm

I see that as a little disrespectful to other artists. There is bigging up yourself and then there is rewriting history.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby camsgrandad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Actually, this attitude is, unfortunately, quite typical of the new crop of British country artists that have no intentions of "doing the rounds" of CMC's etc. All they want to do is go via the BGT type route, and get well known without "paying their dues". A friend of mine was stabbed in the back by a well-known, new duo during a tour where he acted as support act for a visiting American singer. Unfortunately the days of "we're all in this together, let's help each other whenever we can" are over. I'm very disappointed in Gary's comments, if they are quoted correctly that is, as I saw him as being one of the good guys, and going via the tried and tested way. By the looks of this, I was wrong.
camsgrandad

Postby PeterJD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 pm

He does say that three years ago he thought he was alone. It maybe that he didnt realise that there was a thriving scene up and down the country. That the benefit of doubt.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm

As well as being an excellent singer/songwriter, Gary Quinn is a nice guy and I wouldn't be surprised if his comments, if correct, have been taken out of context.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Exactly! The media have a history of taking comments out of context to support their narrative. Like I said, I hope that's the case here.
lo&m

Postby livewire » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

Gary Quinn was liked and tweeted about the article he has made NO indication that he was misquoted.

There were TWO errors in the article
1) The Shires new album called “Brave” is due for release in the UK on Oct 20, 2014 not in 2015.
2) The C2C Country To Country Festival was NOT a sell out, Billboard reported that 27,797 tickets were sold from a possible 30,349 capacity

Not sure if Gary Quinn is doing music full time. He seems to get around a lot of gigs, festivals and events.
UKCountryRadio.com are pushing his music a lot. I'm not sure if he sells his wares at the merch desks but he has rarely troubled the Top UK 1500 iTunes Country chart with his crowd funded album.
You tend to hear the same song and video from him which is certainly good though listening closely the other day he does tend to phrase and sing with a bit of an American accent than with an Irish one.

I find it VERY HARD to believe he wasn't aware of other UK country artists and singer songwriters. Since when has he been interested in country music. We have had UK artists go out to CMA Festival events and UK artists move to Nashville.
Perhaps he just assumed that all those on the CMC scene were knocking out cover songs.

I think for that reason that Quinn, The Shires, Ward Thomas and a lot of the C2C pop up artists are just not part of the CMC / linedance circuit. It's almost like there is a new great divide.
Back in 2005 a young original UK artist with her own music and hoping to get a break played at a country weekend festival only to be told the muted and restless crowd wanted to hear Jim Reeves type songs with "something we know" to dance to.
If the Wall Street Journal looked at the European country charts they would see Gentleman Jim is #1 and Bertie Higgins and David Frizzell before that with newer artists floundering!

Request for Avicii's "Hey Brother" on UK country programmes are dismissed with their play it safe playing for the over 60's audience approach.
The best part of the article was highlighting The Common Linnets. Best WHOLE album by a mile and way better than anything coming out of America or the UK.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby garyjpquinn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am

Sorry if the WSJ article has caused anyone any annoyance. I didnt mean to offend. The quotes you see in the artice come from a 40 minute interview with the article author. We discussed alot in that time and if thats what they choose to use then thats their perogative. I've only really been active within the UK scene for the last 3 yrs or so and Im still learning about the history of acts from the UK. Growing up and living in N Ireland didnt expose me to what was happening across the Irish Sea. Did it feel like I was alone trying to get people to listen to original country music back then? Yes, I didn't know of anyone else apart from Brian Hughes. Do I feel alone now? Certainly not. There's a plethra of talented singers and writers under the country banner, and I've now seen that first hand as I've been meeting them over the years as I've travelled and played. I do feel the quotes have been taken out of context but apologies again.
garyjpquinn

Postby camsgrandad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:04 pm

nice one Gary. Takes a good man to apologise, well done.
camsgrandad

Postby PeterJD » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:49 pm

As I suspected, and we all know how different to Irish Country Gary is.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Good man, Gary. Thanks for stopping by. One comment out of a 40 minute interview puts it in perspective. I thought it would be something like that. And congratulations on landing a piece in a major mag like the WSJ. Quite a publicity coup.
lo&m

Postby Smudger » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Top man
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks Gary for stopping by.
Shame the Wall Street Journal couldn't of shared more of your 40 minute chat or even share the full transcript down the road.

Quite a lot of UK artists have been mentioned over the years in the UK section who were making original songs but have fallen by the wayside.
I wonder what the WSJ would make of Jim Reeves No1 in Europe the last 3 weeks along with other vets in the Top 5!

Pete Kennedy from the Irish Republic who scooped BRITISH album BCMAwards has now re-located to Nashville with his family.
Emma King and Heartsets have been over there 5 years. David Bradley and Callaghan are others who headed to America.

There are quite a few artists are on the edges of "country"
Eilidh Patterson from Belfast had the most wonderful debut album. I could not believe any Radio 2 programme played her, it was a disgrace. Her next album was a bit indifferent but she has opened for and played in Beth Nielsen Chapman's touring band.

Still unearthing more UK talent but via the Internet and NOT informed by the country press.
Millers Daughter a Country/Pop/Rock duo from Amesbury, Wiltshire are the latest find who have joined the exclusive BBC Radio 2 duo club on their playlist. It's the Pop/country which seems to be doing well.

Gary a good interview with Mr. Allan Watkiss on Monday. If it wasn't for your tweet I would never have known.

The Shires latest single "Tonight" on Radio 2 playlist really isn't selling anything like what it should. Ben Earle mentioning Spotify on radio does not help their case and won't when the album comes out
Ward Thomas who you spoke of have now been 5 weeks on the UK Official album chart and No1 in UK Country chart selling over 6,000 copies at retail. That is still a very small % of the massive audiences they have been exposed to over the last 3 months. I think both acts will hope to make good money via touring and sell more of their music that way.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Return to Saloon