It All Sounds The Same .....

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

It All Sounds The Same .....

Postby kev » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:11 am

Have you been listening to modern country music and found yourself thinking it all sounds the same? Don't worry that you're growing old - it really IS all the same! And here's the proof!! :lol: I nicked this off Saving Country Music.

kev

Ultimate Member

Re: It All Sounds The Same .....

Postby lo&m » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Have you been listening to modern country music

Well, there's your first mistake right there.
It's depressing! What the state of much modern country music has descended to.

But all is not lost.

Not while there are still artists of integrity.
I'm thinking of people like Sturgill Simpson and Ashley Monroe.
Artists who are not prepared to sink into the same quagmire of conformity as your Bryans and your Sheltons.

Country music may be sick but it ain't dead yet.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby camsgrandad » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 pm

I wonder how many artists are looking for a backing track to this one? It would go down a storm in some linedance clubs! :lol: :lol:
camsgrandad

Postby Smudger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 am

It's very cleverly done, I must admit, and I do find it difficult to tell the difference between the tracks. The sad thing is there are probably a lot of people out there who actually like the mix!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:45 am

What gives me hope is that there are a few songwriters & singers with some integrity and a brain in Nashville putting out great stuff. Brandy Clark is an obvious example of a songwriter who writes intelligent, thought provoking songs. Every song on "12 Stories" has a meaning and is thought provoking- amusing, witty or sad. About real life. This couldn't be in greater contrast to all the vacuous bs about tail gate parties/ bikini lines/ paint on jeans & so forth.
Kacey Musgrave is someone else putting out quality stuff, I look forward to her new album due this year.
I don't bother with Brad, but about a third of Blake Shelton's latest album is not at all bad. The duet on there with Ashley Monroe is gorgeous. He may step sideways into bro' territory, but there is still a real artiste there.
Miranda Lambert is a more serious songwriter but I feel many of the songs on Platinum, while being well crafted, often fall into a stereotype female version of Bro' Country. Some seriously good tunes on there, though, especially the Dixieland-flavoured "Gravity Is A Bitch".
Garth Brooks' comeback album has one thing to recommend it- it is NOT Bro country. But mostly weak, I thought.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Saloon