Hiring A Musician??

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Hiring A Musician??

Postby kev » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:21 am

I wasn't sure where to post this - mods, please move if you see fit.

In light of the previous postings about the problems of being a country artist in the UK I thought this, that I saw on facebook, might be of interest to some.

kev

Ultimate Member

Re: Hiring A Musician??

Postby lo&m » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Nah, the saloon is exactly the right place for this.

To explain the issue for those unfamiliar with it: some restauranteurs/ bar owners (mostly in the US) Have been hiring bands to play for no money on the basis that they are getting "exposure" by playing at their venue. Some bands are desparate enough to take up the offer, which is of course their own business, but other musicians, aware that the practice is driving down the income of all bands, have posted rebuttals on social media.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:16 pm

In Shel Silverstein's song "The Living Legend" about a folk singer who has come upon hard times, the singer offers to sing & play guitar plus sweep the floor after in return for sandwiches and shelter, 'cos "even living legends got to live"
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:20 pm

In "Rock star's Lament" Bobby Bare sings that "For a bottle of rye whiskey, I gave up my fancy boots"
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby camsgrandad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:42 pm

lo&m wrote:Nah, the saloon is exactly the right place for this.

To explain the issue for those unfamiliar with it: some restauranteurs/ bar owners (mostly in the US) Have been hiring bands to play for no money on the basis that they are getting "exposure" by playing at their venue. Some bands are desparate enough to take up the offer, which is of course their own business, but other musicians, aware that the practice is driving down the income of all bands, have posted rebuttals on social media.

Never mind the U.S, this practise is used over here by some festival organisers, offering acts "showcase" spots. This is a real con as the acts have been around for yonks, but it fills the days of the festivals. I was recently offered a "showcase" spot at a club I'd played at 7 times before! Needless to say, I declined.
camsgrandad

Postby Smudger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:43 am

camsgrandad wrote:

Never mind the U.S, this practise is used over here by some festival organisers, offering acts "showcase" spots. This is a real con as the acts have been around for yonks, but it fills the days of the festivals. I was recently offered a "showcase" spot at a club I'd played at 7 times before! Needless to say, I declined.

Wasn't it like this for the pop-up stages at C2C (the first one anyway)??
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11 am

Smudger wrote:
camsgrandad wrote:

Wasn't it like this for the pop-up stages at C2C (the first one anyway)??

Yeah, I remember Ags Connolly saying the first one was a bit like that.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Never mind the U.S, this practise is used over here by some festival organisers, offering acts "showcase" spots.

Same thing happens at grassroots folk clubs, at least it does in N Yorks/Teeside. Only difference is they're called Hotspots.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby PeterJD » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:37 pm

I suspect C2C is the same now as well, people clamour to play the pop up stages. Its great exposure though in all fairness. Not saying its right, just that its great exposure.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:23 pm

PeterJD wrote:I suspect C2C is the same now as well, people clamour to play the pop up stages. Its great exposure though in all fairness. Not saying its right, just that its great exposure.

It would be interesting to know if that exposure has resulted in more paid work for the acts. Maybe they now advertise themselves as "as seen at C2C"......
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Smudger wrote:
PeterJD wrote:I suspect C2C is the same now as well, people clamour to play the pop up stages. Its great exposure though in all fairness. Not saying its right, just that its great exposure.

It would be interesting to know if that exposure has resulted in more paid work for the acts. Maybe they now advertise themselves as "as seen at C2C"......

Dare I combine the names Raintown and Livewirer? That seemed to be his beef against them ....
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby camsgrandad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Smudger wrote:

I don't think that this exposure, or advertising yourself as "as seen at C2C" generates any more work for any act personally.
camsgrandad

Return to Saloon