New to Country

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

New to Country

Postby CDW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi,

I'm only just getting into country music, thanks to hearing the Chris country radio show.

My two favourite songs at the moment are, kiss my country ass by Blake Shelton and what was I thinkin by Dierks Bentley, love um.

Just reaching out to see what people can recommend, looking for similar songs, up beat, driving type songs?

Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance
CDW

Newbie Member

Re: New to Country

Postby PeterJD » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 am

Welcome to the genre, it’s a broad one.

Can I recommend Eric Church’s Chief album, its all good but as a starting point, maybe “Drink in my hand”. Also Miranda Lambert’s Recolution album is a great introduction to her. Will try and list a few more later.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:49 am

PeterJD wrote:Welcome to the genre, it’s a broad one.

Can I recommend Eric Church’s Chief album, its all good but as a starting point, maybe “Drink in my hand”. Also Miranda Lambert’s Recolution album is a great introduction to her. Will try and list a few more later.

I'll have to disagree with you there, old fruit: I think Church's first album, "Sinners Like Me", is head and shoulders above anything he's done since!

One thing you'll learn about country music fans CDW, we hardly ever agree on anything! :lol:
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 am

Indeed Kev,

CDW, if you like that Blake Shelton track I suggest you have a look at his first greatest hits collection, some great tracks on that, similarly Dierks Bentleys hits collection. I may be biased but Honkytonk U by Toby Keith is a great album, the last studio album by Rodney Atkins is excellent, the Pistol Annies debut, Charleston SC by Darius Rucker and 5th Gear by Brad Paisley are both pretty strong.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:56 am

I really liked Blake Shelton's first three albums, the last of these (Barn & Grill) was particularly good. I think he lost the plot after that and get swept away by the whole 'being a star' thing. "Hillbilly Bone" was probably the last thing he did that I liked - and that was as cheesy as hell! Talking of "Hillbilly Bone", you could have a look at Trace Adkins too. I think he's gone off the boil latterly too but some of his earlier albums are well worth a listen ("X" is probably my favourite). And have a listen to Josh Turner too, he's got a great deep voice!

And I'm going to put in a plug for some more traditional stuff too: buy a Bob Wills compilation, you won't be disappointed!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby bigcarpchaser » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Try a bit of
Dustin Lynch
Parmalee
Little Big Town
Tim McGraw
Brad Paisley
All of Eric Church's albums are worth a listen as they're all a bit different. I'm quite liking his new one tbh.
For some old Skool, ease your way in with some Randy Travis and Alan Jackon.

There's too many to list!!
bigcarpchaser

Postby kev » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:45 pm

bigcarpchaser wrote:For some old Skool, ease your way in with some Randy Travis and Alan Jackon.

Randy Travis and Alan Jackson 'old skool'? Really?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby foot-tapper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Try some of the Canadian stuff

George Canyon, Gord Bamford, Doc Walker for starters
Happiness is a voyage - not a destination
foot-tapper

Supreme Member

Postby bigcarpchaser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:19 pm

kev wrote:
bigcarpchaser wrote:For some old Skool, ease your way in with some Randy Travis and Alan Jackon.

Randy Travis and Alan Jackson 'old skool'? Really?

I did say "ease your way in" (is there a "tongue in cheek" icon?)

Might be a bit of a leap to go from Blake Shelton backwards to some Merle all in one go....maybe :)

(Just updated my Eric Church collection with some vinyl copies, can't wait to have a listen again)
bigcarpchaser

Return to Saloon