Bob Powell

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Bob Powell

Postby Moshe » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I read that Bob Powell is in hospital undergoing heart surgery.
Does anyone hererecall him?
He was the founder of "Opry" later Country Music People magazine & the genial host of that brilliant country music radio show Bob Powell Country on BBC Radio London in the 80s.
He gave me my foundation in country music.
a true heroe of the scene in the UK
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby ROGER HUMPHRIES » Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi Moshe

I'm sorry to hear that Bob Powell isn't too well right now.

I too have known Bob since "dirt was a rock" and played a few sessions on his BBC Radio London programmes.

One point that I think you've got slightly wrong though is that Bob wasn't actually the founder of "Opry" magazine which later morphed into Country Music People ...... that distinction belongs to Larry Adams who I last saw in the 90's when he used to present the country music programme on BBC Radio Kent when their studios were based in Chatham. When Larry ran "Opry" magazine, he also brought Willie Nelson over to the UK for his first ever tour here ....... and lost a fortune in the process.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sorry to hear about Bob & I hope that he's soon on the way to a full recovery.

Roger Humphries
ROGER HUMPHRIES

Postby Moshe » Mon May 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks for the correction, Roger.
I had read his history, but it was a while ago.
I first saw Country Music People magazine & that was my country music education along with his radio show.
I never actually met thje man, tho I saw him once in the foyer at Wembley.
It would be great if we still had a show like that on radio here.
I know there is the net, but I can't listen to that when i'm lying down in bed.
Wally Whyton was another dj whose radio show I greatly enjoyed
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby ROGER HUMPHRIES » Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Moshe

There are still a few really informed radio presenters around, but on the other hand there are quite a few who really don't know their subject matter too well ....... it seems to me anyway.

Wally was great, and somebody who really knew what he was talking about. I had great hopes in Bob Harris when he took over the BBC Radio 2 programme when Wally died, and although sincere, Bob seems to carry a bit too much baggage somehow. I have met Bob Harris a few times and he's a really nice guy, but definitely a "BBC Man" if you know what I mean ...... also, unlike people like Wally, Bob has never been a musician or performer himself.

Anyway, getting back to the point, lets hope that Bob Powell is soon on-the-mend.

Regards

Roger
ROGER HUMPHRIES

Postby Moshe » Mon May 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Yes, Wally was a true profesional. I enjoy Bob harris' broadcasting but he tends to shun the mainstream in the music he selects for his show.
I know local country music radio shows exist elewhere in the UK, but none at present in the London area
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CJ » Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 pm

You could always go to www.UKcountryradio.com Moshe.
CJ

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Yes, that is pretty good. I also like CMR. And quite a few of the US country radio stations
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Bob Powel » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 am

Hi Folks

I'm a brand new member of your site as I have just discovered it

Moshe thank you for the nice things you said about my programme 'London Country'. and especially the good wishes following my heart operation. Happily it was a great success and I am just about back to normal now (for better or worse)
My old mate Roger was right about Opry magazine except it was a partnership of Larry Adams and the late Gordon Smith They appointed that well known Tory Bryan Chalker as the first editor and I joined after a couple of issues, first as a feature writer but I soon did most of the show reviews too. Following its demise and the birth of CMP I was listed as chief feature writer (I think) and became it's editor following the departure of Larry Adams after 10 issues. I wasn't even the original host of 'London Country' That was ex Radio One DJ Duncan Johnson and I did interviews and features. Duncan left after 6 weeks and the show lasted for the best part of 20 years, and it was great fun. Thanks for remembering. By the way my surname is spelt with one L.
Bob Powel

Newbie Member

Postby ROGER HUMPHRIES » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 am

Hello Bob

Welcome to "the madhouse" mate. Ha ha!

I'm so pleased that you're on-the-mend. I suffered a heart attack in 2005. Not one of those knock you over on your ass ones where they need to employ "jump-leads" to get you going again, but apparently serious enough to involve having 4 stents fitted to open up the arteries and to be on daily medication for life ....... including fags!!!!!!!!!

I do stand corrected regarding how Opry got started and your role in it. I've completely lost touch with Larry, but I'm in regular contact with people like Alan Cackett (Maverick Magazine), Brian Ahern, Mick Green and a few others from when country music had more cred. in the UK than it does now with the mainstream media including TV.

Anyway Bob, keep taking the medicine & I hope to see you sometime.

Regards

Roger
ROGER HUMPHRIES

Bob Powell

Postby Dr. Lee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Bob, remember me? Heard from Spencer Leigh that you are back in UK. I am glad to know you are now back and well . You are on my mind and memories of all those nice visits you paid me in Penang. Always treasure the Bobby Bare (my favourite country singer) stuffs (especially your interview with him on BBC) you have given me.
Dr. Y.S. Lee
Dr. Lee

Newbie Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi Bob.
I only just checked back here so only just saw your reply.
I only started listening to the country show on Radio London when you were at the helm. I was just getting into country music & listened to your show regularly saturday mornings. It really opened my eyes to the breadth of country music.
Glad to hear you're on the mend. And thanks again for my education in country music!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Debra » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 am

Bob Powel is one of the kindest nicest people i ever had the pleasure of calling my friend his knowledge and passion of real country music is legendery
im so sorry to hear he had to have surgury but im delighted at the outcome, i have many many happy memories of time spent in Bobs company,

bob i wish you all the very very best get well soon and rest plenty
love ya
from Debra and family
Debra

Newbie Member

Postby brian ahern » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:01 am

I know that Bob Powel visits this forum from time to time so may I wish him a speedy recovery after his surgery.

I've known Bob as a friend and mentor for quite a few years now. Going back to Wembley and Peterborough Festivals. I once had the pleasure of sharing a table with him at a CMA(GB) awards show at the Grosvenor Hotel in London. Happy days indeed and extremely social rewarding for those actively involved in the scene in those memorable days.

Get well soon mate.

brian.
brian ahern

Supreme Member

Bob Powell

Postby Dr. Lee » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Have not heard from Bob since he responded to my last posting and we have some correspondents. He is indeed a very nice and friendly person and I just like to wish him well with full recovery from his surgery.
Dr. Y.S. Lee
Dr. Lee

Newbie Member

Bob Powel

Postby appledoreman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 pm

As a new user of this site, I should just like to add my comments re. Bob Powel.
His London Country show was inspirational to me & he remains my all-time favourite d-j, having 3 qualities vital to the role: a deep knowlege of his subject, a warm, relaxing manner & excellent taste - with a particular knack for unearthing obscure gems.
In the 1980's he ran a shop near where I live in Sidcup & I was amazed on one occasion to enter it & be greeted personally by the great man himself.
I now run a disabled club, the entertainment for which is sometimes provided by the Biggin Hillbillies, a local bluegrass band.
If you're reading this, Bob, thank you for being a large, important & precious part of my life - & education in country music - in the 1970s. :)
appledoreman

Newbie Member

Next

Return to Saloon