Bob Powell

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Bob Powel

Postby Moshe » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:13 am

appledoreman wrote:As a new user of this site, I should just like to add my comments re. Bob Powel.
His London Country show was inspirational to me & he remains my all-time favourite d-j, having 3 qualities vital to the role: a deep knowlege of his subject, a warm, relaxing manner & excellent taste - with a particular knack for unearthing obscure gems.
In the 1980's he ran a shop near where I live in Sidcup & I was amazed on one occasion to enter it & be greeted personally by the great man himself.
I now run a disabled club, the entertainment for which is sometimes provided by the Biggin Hillbillies, a local bluegrass band.
If you're reading this, Bob, thank you for being a large, important & precious part of my life - & education in country music - in the 1970s. :)

Yes. He did some classic shows & knew the most obscure stuff. That show he did with David Allan Coe was a classic- trying to outdo each other in knowing the most obscure disc! I had that on a cassette tape for years till the damn thing was eaten up in a cassette player!!! :o Those were the days!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Bob Powel

Postby Dr. Lee » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:00 am

Hi Bob, Hope you are in the best of health after your surgery. If you read this, could you contact me? I have transferred the wonderful BBC session you did with Bobby Bare into CD from the cassette tape you gave me when you visited me in Penang. I have spent a lot of time improving the quality using my Roland Workstation equipment. I have designed a cover with your picture and Bobby Bare for the CD cover. It is the best interview I have ever come across and so informal and interesting and I thought it should be saved as a souvenir and a tribute to you. I thought you may like a copy but I need an address to send to you. I shall also be sending a copy to Bobby Bare.
Dr. Y.S. Lee
Dr. Lee

Newbie Member

Re: Bob Powell

Postby cindy king » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi Bob, I'm Cindy King, yes that Cindy King, daughter of Ed. mum and I were talking about you cos it was dads anniversary last week and I just Googled you and found your comments on here. How are you now? where are you living now? Dads Fiddler, Ron White found some old recordings that we hadn't heard, so that was exciting. please let us know how you are. Love from Dawn and Cindy xx
cindy king

Newbie Member

Postby bobpowel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 pm

HI CINDY
great to hear from you . email me at bobpowel@yahoo.co.uk and we will have a chat
remember one L
cheers
bob
bobpowel

Newbie Member

Postby ALAN ELLIS » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi BOB, 2 days ago found your card you gave me in Aldi's Bexleyheath sometime ago, so searched web for you and found this forum.
I was sorry to hear of your heart problem for which I understand you've had surgery. I still collect Chet's music but not much left for me to collect these days,
I do miss him though.
Anyhow I'll close for now and hope you are well on the mend, many regards and I miss your Radio London programme there's nothing like it these days
get well soon, I still live at same address
ALAN ELLIS
ALAN ELLIS

Newbie Member

Postby appledoreman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Sorry to break the news, Alan, but Bob Powel sadly died in May last year (see other posts). I was in the process of writing his biography, which I immediately abandoned. However, encouraged by his many friends & fans, I returned to it earlier this year & the completed book is now available to buy on Amazon.
appledoreman

Newbie Member

Previous

Return to Saloon