Saltburn 2nd April Country Night

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Saltburn 2nd April Country Night

Postby lo&m » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 pm

"the desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold" It is at the moment. Temperatures hovering around 0° and a wind chill factor that drops it even further. However, good news, things will be warming up next week. May I draw your attention to the middle item. I've got my ticket.

http://www.saltburnarts.co.uk/
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Saltburn 2nd April Country Night

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Have a good one lo&m - I wish I could get over there too.
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:31 am

My first live gig in a year brought me to Saltburn for for the Grand Ol' Opry of Cleveland. It was held in what looked like a church converted into an intimate community theatre. It was almost a full house for this show that was a re-creation of a Ryman era Grand Ol' Opry radio show.

The compere was folk singer Maggie Gee, who took on the style of Minnie Pearl, complete with elaborately decorated hat with a price tag hanging from the brim. And between acts there were even 'messages from our sponsors' as a trio of people read out adverts for local businesses with a touch of humour, adding another little mark of authenticity.

The show was opened by British country music legend, Tony Goodacre, who in his younger years had appeared at that other Grand Ol' Opry. following Tony were AC/KC, not a tribute to those aussie rockers at all, they were a trio of guitars and banjo player. After them came Kelly's Country, another trio, this time with Jack Greene lookalike, Dave Kelly on guitar,and a bass and pedal steel. After an intermission it was the turn of Willow Creek. They are a six piece bluegrass band who as well as bluegrass also played some country songs in bluegrass style. The show finished with all the acts gathering together on stage for a rendition of Will The Circle Be Unbroken. A nod should also be given to the young girl who's name escaped me, who picked songs on an acoustic guitar during the intermission.

This show was organised by the local Rotararians with proceeds going to the local Barnardo's childrens charity. All the acts live in the area, the Cleveland coastal area, north of Whitby and south of Teeside. "It's a way of giving something back to the community," Maggie stated proudly. a sentiment with which I agree and I'll be looking out for next year's show now.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Smudger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:37 am

Sounds like it was good fun, lo&m - a community charity project with country/bluegrass music - what's not to like?
Smudger

Supreme Member

Return to Country Clubs and Venues