Country Acts Who Have Disapointed you?

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Country Acts Who Have Disapointed you?

Postby Moshe » Sat May 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Sometimes a country singer, musician or band will come along that will blow you away!
Then, slowly, album by album, or maybe quicker, they begin to disapoint.

Who would be your nominations in this category?

My first is a group I really loved when I heard their debut single "NEED YOU NOW" some years back. I am talking, of course, about LADY ANTEBELLUM.
Their debut single I thought was great- lyrically, musically, production wise. It was also original and fresh. They were trendsetters, pioneering a new sound in country, not following tired trends.
With each album they became less impressive.
Their latest single, ""YOU LOOK GOOD", is so trite and full of cliche's- both lyrically and musically- it could even be a parody of Bro country.
Lady A have clearly looked at what is happening at country radio at present- Puerile adolescent / teen lusting and bravado- and sought to emulate it. Which is patently absurd as all members of Lady A are clearly adults.

It ends up sounding like one of a rash of Bro Country singles that have infested Country Radio.
OK, a bit better, because all members of Lady A can actually sing/ play. So, Bro Country without the icky voices and bad fake rock screeching guitars.
But still piss poor.
So sad to see talented people sell themselves so short!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Country Acts Who Have Disapointed you?

Postby livewire » Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 am

Moshe wrote:Sometimes a country singer, musician or band will come along that will blow you away!
Then, slowly, album by album, or maybe quicker, they begin to disapoint.

Who would be your nominations in this category?

I agree completely with your sentiments on Lady Antebellum who have become Lady Ampleboredom. Quite why some in the UK media got excited about their new "You Look Good" single I just don't get. Lady A's first album, that's the US country version remains their best. They then felt the need to de-countrify their music for the UK market so songs like the terrific "American Honey" with this new treatment wasn't a patch on the original. The UK media therefore introduced them in this state. The result was acts like Raintown saw a window of opportunity to try and make a name for themselves and label themselves as country. The non-country version of "Need You Now" was a catalyst for Ben Earle to form The Shires and believe the music they were making comparably to Lady A was in fact "country".

Nickel Creek was one act that immediately comes to mind. Their debut was superb then Bob Harris raved about their live sets and second album. I went to Union Chapel in London to see them live but was disappointed overall and what followed since and the solo projects. The word I would use to follow their debut is pretentious.
Another in that bracket is Patty Griffin. She was very good live but was left disappointed with albums purchased based on Alan Cackett's Maverick reviews and again Bob Harris recommendations. I ended up giving the albums away and led me to NOT buying music based on reading reviews until I had heard them myself which became possible when broadband kicked in.
Another mistake was Lucinda Williams and got rid of Gravel Roads too.
The Band Perry had some very good early songs. They have completely lost the plot in recent years with some dreadful singles and have become a POP act and flopped.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun May 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Very much agree about The Band Perry. They showed alot of promise early on, but have become increasingly bland.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Tue May 30, 2017 7:48 am

Complaining about Lady A and Band Perry is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel ... they were always crap!

If I had to pick one act that has disappointed me it would have to be Brad Paisley. He's a good song writer, got a good voice, and plays a mean guitar (even if I think he overdoes the whole widdly-widdly stuff far too much - every solo seems to sound the same now!) but just doesn't seem to know when to rein in the schoolboy humour. It's at a point now where I don't even bother listening to his new releases! Great shame, cos a lot of his early, more thoughtful stuff is excellent! Maybe he'll see the error of his ways as he gets older (but I wouldn't hold my breath!).
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Travis Tritt. He exploded on the scene with the ultimate kiss-off song, Here's A Quarter, (Call Someone Who Cares). For a while he could do no wrong; a string of great songs, the No Hats tours with Marty Stuart, CMA and Grammy awards along with being the catalyst for Eagles reunion. but then as he got older and fatter, (as do we all), he unfortunately got blander. Been years since he's done anything noteworthy.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Yes, Travis Tritt just seems to have faded away.

I loved NANCI GRIFFITH's albums in the Eighties, but her later work just didn't do it for me so much. I stopped checking out her albums after a while, I think I will go check them out in case I'm missing something.

But those 80's albums were just superb
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:18 am

lo&m wrote:Travis Tritt. He exploded on the scene with the ultimate kiss-off song, Here's A Quarter, (Call Someone Who Cares). For a while he could do no wrong; a string of great songs, the No Hats tours with Marty Stuart, CMA and Grammy awards along with being the catalyst for Eagles reunion. but then as he got older and fatter, (as do we all), he unfortunately got blander. Been years since he's done anything noteworthy.

I was never a big fan, think he's a boring chap. He was 'the big name' at the Marty Stuart charity show in Nashville a few years back. At one point he spent 10 minutes blah-blahing to introduce a 3 minute song! I left when he started jawing again!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:02 am

kev wrote:
lo&m wrote:Travis Tritt. He exploded on the scene with the ultimate kiss-off song, Here's A Quarter, (Call Someone Who Cares). For a while he could do no wrong; a string of great songs, the No Hats tours with Marty Stuart, CMA and Grammy awards along with being the catalyst for Eagles reunion. but then as he got older and fatter, (as do we all), he unfortunately got blander. Been years since he's done anything noteworthy.

I was never a big fan, think he's a boring chap. He was 'the big name' at the Marty Stuart charity show in Nashville a few years back. At one point he spent 10 minutes blah-blahing to introduce a 3 minute song! I left when he started jawing again!!

Someone else who tends to do that alot is Christian Bush, formerly one half of Sugarland. At the songwriter's do when it came round to him he embarked on long, pointless anrcdotes. I chose those moments to go and buy a pint!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 am

Moshe wrote:
kev wrote:

Someone else who tends to do that alot is Christian Bush, formerly one half of Sugarland. At the songwriter's do when it came round to him he embarked on long, pointless anrcdotes. I chose those moments to go and buy a pint!

It's alright with some people: Tom Russell is a great story teller, Kinky Friedman too. Christian Bush? He's only about 12, can't imagine he's lived much! :lol: Bet ol' Willie could tell some tales but he doesn't say much at all on stage.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:22 am

Moshe wrote: ...I loved NANCI GRIFFITH's albums in the Eighties, but her later work just didn't do it for me so much. I stopped checking out her albums after a while, I think I will go check them out in case I'm missing something.

But those 80's albums were just superb

In the early days (1992) of picking up on country music I discovered Nanci after borrowing a compilation video from my local library. I was absolutely wowed by her song ""I Don't Wanna Talk About Love" from the STORMS album. Got most of her albums and DVDs right through the 90s and saw her 4 times live, up to 2006, which were all truly memorable for different reasons. Her concert at the Royal Albert Hall with the London Symphony was really special.
The 2006 Ruby's Torch album wasn't altogether my bag and just a few tracks appealed from the 2009 set The Loving Kind.
Have lost touch with her music since then.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:41 am

I should check out more recent stuff of Griffith.
I love her old Rounder albums.
One of my favourite tracks of hers is the live recording of "Love At The Five & Dime". Funny, we have been talking about singers rabbitting on, but her long introduction to this song is both funny and apt
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:23 am

Chris Young is disappointing me severely at the moment.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music